Brown: Stimulus Did Not Create One Job

☭proletarian☭;1977906 said:
Not necessarily true. Depending on the job, real wealth can be created, just as in the private sector. There is no difference in that regard between a manufacturer paid directly by his boss or through State channels.

Removing money from the market through taxes does not necessarily destroy jobs, if the wealth was not being used to create wealth in the first place (eg: money taken from Bill Gates' bank account, where it sits and does nothing).

If the State fills a role that private enterprise was not fulfilling, or creates a job that the private market had not, then jobs are created, so long as the job creates some wealth for which their is a market.

While government intervention usually has a negative impact, it does not necessarily have to.

If the market didn't create a job then there's a reason for that, and government "creating" that job will destroy other jobs and misallocate resources.

You should bring your thinking into the 21st century. You're operating on a premise that was negated by free trade agreements.

The way a market operates was not negated by "free trade" agreements.

It created Scott Brown's job.

Hey, you know something really funny? One of the big reasons Brown was elected was because of "jobs, jobs, jobs". You know he is going to vote AGAINST the new "jobs" package?

Hey, you know something really funny? One of the big reasons Brown was elected was because of "jobs, jobs, jobs". You know he is going to vote AGAINST the new "jobs" package?

So which month has the nation seen job growth since and including february 2009? Just wondering :eusa_whistle:

Downtown Scotty Brown: The New GOP Senator Looks Like a Partisan - The Gaggle Blog - Newsweek.com

Downtown Scotty Brown: The New GOP Senator Looks Like a Partisan
Howard Fineman

I just eyeballed newly sworn-in Sen. Scott Brown, R-Mass., the undertaker of the Kennedy legend and the man who sent shock waves through Democratic Party. I watched his swearing in, chatted him up in the hallway, and then attended his maiden presser.

My conclusion: this guy is a heat-seeking missile aimed straight at Barack Obama, and anyone who thinks he is moved by the bipartisan spirit of, say, Ed Brooke, the moderate Republican of yore from Massachusetts, is deluding himself. This guy is a fighter.

A few minutes into the press conference he declared, in answer to a question: "The stimulus bill didn't create one new job." The reporters in the rows glanced at each other, all thinking the same thought I'm sure: steel-caged death match! Didn't the president just spend a week saying the "recovery act" had "saved or created about 2 million jobs?"

There's a little difference of opinion between 44 (Obama) and 41 (Brown), but if anything Brown was aggressive about noting it. Pressed on the point, he allowed as how the law might have "retained some" jobs, but that was it.

More generally, Brown may not be full strength Tea Party, but his economic and fiscal thinking seems to have at least some Darjeeling in it. Right away he expressed his alarm at the very size of the Obama budget—$3.8 trillion—40 percent of which, he said, would have to be covered by borrowing. Voters, he said, were concerned that "we are living beyond our means."

And yet he also said that the country needed far more aggressive tax cutting than the president is proposing. Those cuts, he said, would spur growth—and, he implied, would pay for themselves. He decried the reach of government regulation and, all in all, sounded more like "Don't Tread on Me" than "Can't we all get along?"

And the sense I got of his character—tough, confident, a little cocky—comported with the role he played as a shooting wingman on the Tufts basketball team a long time ago. His nickname was "Downtown Scotty Brown," in honor of his willingness to hoist the long shot.

Well, the shot went in up in Massachusetts, and he's just begun to fire away.

And actually, as a Hill friend of mine just pointed out, the stimulus actually had created at least one new job: Brown's!

How many months does Brown fill for Teddy's unexpired term?
Less than 2 years.

The war chest is on in The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts.

hmmm...I have two more employees than I had before the stimulus and it is quite possible the stimulus made that possible.

So, IMO, Brown is incorrect, naive, or a liar.

:lol:

Anyone seen an actual quote yet???

WASHINGTON -- Newly-sworn Massachusetts Sen. Scott Brown says the last economic stimulus bill did not create even one new job, a claim that most economists would dispute.

Brown made the assertion moments after he was sworn in Thursday by Vice President Joe Biden to the seat held for nearly half a century by the late Democratic Sen. Edward Kennedy.

Convening his first news conference, Brown said the last economic stimulus bill didn't create a single new job. He added that it may have retained some jobs, but didn't create any new ones.

Republicans have questioned the way President Barack Obama's administration has counted jobs created or saved with stimulus money. But most economists believe new jobs were created even though unemployment rates rose.
Brown: Stimulus didn't create 1 new job - Forbes.com

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjWPk58L2ag]YouTube - Highlights Of Scott Brown's First Press Conference[/ame]

hmmm...I have two more employees than I had before the stimulus and it is quite possible the stimulus made that possible.

what month did we have a net job creation since feburary of 2009? I dont think we have added jobs to the ecnomony since obama took office. Please show me otherwise so I can stop looking at this thread :)

If you had knowledge of Scott Brown you would understand the intent of his statement. I know I do and I know no one wants to answer my challenge above because we haven't had a month of net job growth since obama took office.

Last edited:

what month did we have a net job creation since feburary of 2009? I dont think we have added jobs to the ecnomony since obama took office. Please show me otherwise so I can stop looking at this thread :)

If you had knowledge of Scott Brown you would understand the intent of his statement. I know I do and I know no one wants to answer my challenge above because we haven't had a month of net job growth since obama took office.

Who would have guessed his remarks were mischaracterized? :eek:

We also haven't had a month of net job losses as bad as they were a year ago.

The Governor of California is Austrian by birth. He married a Kennedy, and one who is female. That is actually not insane.

Kevin Kennedy poster, on page 1 of the thread, has this remark:

"Being an adherent of the Austrian school I'm sure you'll be able to grasp the concept that government spending requires money to be taken out of the private sector which destroys jobs. So by "creating" jobs, the government is actually destroying real wealth creating jobs in the private sector. And since government "created" jobs do not help the economy or produce real wealth the government hasn't really created a job at all, just destroyed jobs." (Underlining by me)

No government is a vacuum cleaner, unto itself. It does not hoard money. Governments, in fact, create the stuff, some of which is even currency. It has value. There are numbers on it. Money therefore can be subject to arithmetic manipulation. Arithmetic is a completely logical system. Arithmetic works, and so does the currency!

Rational government actually redistributes currency such that organizations providing goods and services have markets into which to sell. Anyone should have noticed that when the homeowners have insufficient currency to pay the mortgages, then even the rich financial houses go broke. Government had failed at redistribution!

Mostly, the money in play, in fact, comes from a credit market. In East Africa, there is no such thing--and instead the United Nations sent in the plague, aka aid workers. What little currency there is in East Africa, is money being spent by, "The Plague, Boss! It's The Plague!" The UN is not taking any money out of the East African market place, and is also not creating the badly need credit market.

A part of the Obama family tree, actually originates from there, in fact: And seems to have fled! They could possibly have guessed this below"

The Austrians and the Adam Smith Presbyterians are not modern economists. They are, in fact, easily said, "Architects of madness." Currency and Credit are clearly not on the radar scree for Them. For Adam Smith, mainly it was just all usury, and that was about it.

The Austrians seem to claim, "That's why we need the vacuum cleaners?" That is insane!

"Crow, James Crow: Shaken, Not Stirred!"
(And so it is back to Davos, 2009: When Her Majesty's PM took care, and great pains, to try to explain the sources and uses of credit: To the assembled, former aborigine/colonial peoples of Her Majesty's Empire! Any Hapsburg descendants, would have done well, to listen in!)

Not a single job?

Come on Scott, you need to get your facts from places other than Glenn Beck

Economic stimulus has created or saved nearly 2 million jobs, White House says - washingtonpost.com

lmao...so which is it, created or saved?

and if obama created just one job, but millions of other jobs were lost, do you consider that creating a job?

hey folks, i made $1 today, but i spent $1000, see, i made money today folks :lol:

If you create or save 50,000 jobs in a month when we were on track to lose a net 150,000 jobs that month, we still end up losing 100,000, right?

What's the problem?

Not a single job?

Come on Scott, you need to get your facts from places other than Glenn Beck

Economic stimulus has created or saved nearly 2 million jobs, White House says - washingtonpost.com

and if obama created just one job, but millions of other jobs were lost, do you consider that creating a job?

hey folks, i made $1 today, but i spent $1000, see, i made money today folks :lol:

If you create or save 50,000 jobs in a month when we were on track to lose a net 150,000 jobs that month, we still end up losing 100,000, right?

What's the problem?

is it create or save? which is it? that you don't know is telling...i highly doubt you would have taken that from bush, but since you're an obama apologist, you do anything to defend him....

like i said, if you want to call it creating jobs when you're losing thousands, then you're the kind of person that makes $1, loses a $1000 dollars but still claims you made money today....

and iirc...nearly all the created jobs are in the public sector, the private sector is losing millions of jobs, i wouldn't go around bragging about creating or saving jobs

One last time. Massachusetts has always had two Senate seats. The stimulus did not create it. I would think that you'd have known that.

If the alleged 'jobs' package does anything but create jobs, I'd vote against it to. Anyone can claim a bill creates jobs. Until it does......its just so many more lies.

What's the problem?

is it create or save? which is it? that you don't know is telling...i highly doubt you would have taken that from bush, but since you're an obama apologist, you do anything to defend him....

like i said, if you want to call it creating jobs when you're losing thousands, then you're the kind of person that makes $1, loses a $1000 dollars but still claims you made money today....

and iirc...nearly all the created jobs are in the public sector, the private sector is losing millions of jobs, i wouldn't go around bragging about creating or saving jobs

Example:

If your company is about to lay off people because they don't have enough work for them, and then they get a government contract that warrants keeping the people on the payroll, that's saving jobs. If the contract were to happen to be large enough to warrant adding to the payroll, that would be creating jobs.

Did you really need that explained to you?

What's the problem?

If you and your spouse both lost your jobs because of the recession, but then 1 of you was able to get a job on a stimulus project, you'd still have a net loss of 1 job in your family, but I'd venture to say that you'd appreciate the fact that is was 1 instead of 2.

Forum List

Back