Brooklyn Riots: 46 Arrested

Book of Jeremiah

Platinum Member
Nov 3, 2012
Brooklyn Riots: 46 Arrested after Reports Kimani Gray, 16, Shot in Back [PHOTOS]
By Hannah Osborne: Subscribe to Hannah's RSS feed

March 14, 2013 3:11 PM GMT

NYPD officers arrested 46 people who were protesting against the death of Kimani Gray (Reuters)
Rioting in Brooklyn in New York flared into a third night running after claims emerged that plainclothes police officers shot a 16-year-old boy in the back and killed him.

Kimani Gray, from Flatbush, was shot seven times by the officers and three of the bullets penetrated his body through his back.

Since his death on Saturday, mourners and protesters have gathered every night at the spot where he was killed.

Police said that Gray had pointed a gun so they opened fire on him but witnesses deny their version of the story.

Tishana King, who saw the shooting from her Brooklyn apartment, told Kiss Detroit: "His hands were down. Kimani started backing up. The cop took his gun and started firing at Kimani. I couldn't believe [the officer] let off his gun. There was no reason. No false move."

Gray was shot seven times, with three bullets entering through his back (Reuters)
King's account of events was one of many that contradicted the police reports.

Follow us
Follow @IBTimesUK

A breakaway group from 200 mourners who had gathered at a vigil for Gray marched to a nearby police station where trouble broke out and missiles were thrown.

Riot police set up a roadblock and arrested 46 people. Among them was Gray's sister, Mahnefah, whose detention caused further uproar. She was released without charge.

Police say Gray, 16, was armed when they shot him (Facebook)
The Gray family spokesman, Rev Gilford Monrose, said: "It's a tough time for the community, but the family and myself do not condone the violence.

"Our focus right now is to get the funeral service together."

I will wait to see what the investigation brings, we have had so many of these freak outs, the media ratchets up the angst, slants the coverage to make the PD look like killers, then when the evidence outs and its a righteous shoot, they slink off and let it die quietly.....same old?

if its not a righteous shoot, then bust their ass.....its that simple.

The occupy movement was sturing up these riots. I was watching the twitter hashtags. They kept trying to get them to switch the hashtag from brooklynriots to brooklynprotests because they were saying they were letting the police propaganda control it otherwise.

I will wait to see what the investigation brings, we have had so many of these freak outs, the media ratchets up the angst, slants the coverage to make the PD look like killers, then when the evidence outs and its a righteous shoot, they slink off and let it die quietly.....same old?

And needless to mention, we lose 160-170 policemen each year on the job with 130-150 are them getting shot by a perpetrator they are trying to stop, question or arrest. They are also held responsible by their peers if a perpetrator shoots their partner, unless both are killed at the same time.

I seriously doubt that the truth will ever be exposed here, unless someone has it on film.

I seriously doubt that the truth will ever be exposed here, unless someone has it on film.

What truth?

The kid had a record..and was part of a gang.

You pull a gun on the cops and you are going to get offed.

The only thing that's problematic is the shots in the back..but forensics will probably explain that.

Wheres the protests when thousands of black people are shot annually? All those deaths are cool, but a fucking gang banger gets shot by a cop and suddenly they lose their minds. Fucking worthless people.

Last edited:

Seriously Trajan from the reports that make it down here I think it is a problem with the training budget in NYC. The cops may very well be doing their level best but without serious training time that ain't squat.

I am not making an accusation of racism but let's face it the least senior and lowest quality officers of every rank who get the worst assignments and the worst assignments are in poor/minority presincts. When the least prepared and least competent officers have to deal with the toughest assignments this kind of outcome is going to happen and both sides know it.

What truth?

The only thing that's problematic is the shots in the back..but forensics will probably explain that.

I had a client recently who is lucky he isn't dead. he fled from cops. Had a replica gun that looked just like a real one and went to toss it away. Luckily the police officer was trained enough to realize he wasnt turning to fire but trying to get rid of it. So he survived.

What's messed up is he is 12 years old and didnt actually commit any crimes.

good one.

Where is the leadership? Bloomie is the mayor of Brooklyn as well as the other boros. Is he waiting for a NYPD officer to be crucified before he takes a stand on an issue that doesn't involve sugar drinks?

He's been out in front of it.

Im actually shocked it hasnt been making more news. Wouldnt surprise me if Bloomberg was out in front of it. But the media outside New York is barely mentioning it. Heck, if I hadnt been on twitter the other night when the hashtags were trending, I wouldn't know about it.

If you're a crackhead gang memeber in NYC and try to get big and bad, NYPD does not fuck around. My old landlord years ago was NYPD. No fear.......you wonder why rioting is rather rare in NYC relative to other cities. The communities know......you fuck around, you'll leave the neighborhood. In a body bag.:2up:

Works for me.:clap2:

What truth?

I had a client recently who is lucky he isn't dead. he fled from cops. Had a replica gun that looked just like a real one and went to toss it away. Luckily the police officer was trained enough to realize he wasnt turning to fire but trying to get rid of it. So he survived.

What's messed up is he is 12 years old and didnt actually commit any crimes.

He was 16 and had a record.

What's messed is that he was shot. I really feel bad about that. I've known plenty of people that started off rough in life and became contributing members of society.

But if events happened as they look like they happened it's not the fault of the police.

I'm curious. was the gun this guy had legal?

Extremely doubtful.

It's very hard to get a license for a gun in NYC..and even harder to get a carry permit.

maybe we should make stricter laws to prevent this type of thing from happening again

Would be nice to be able to trace down where the gun was sold..and find out how it wound up in the hands of a 16 year old kid.

Forum List

Back