Brewer Likely to Veto Homophobic AZ Measure

hazlnut

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago
Brewer Likely to Veto Anti-Gay Measure

Brewer is receiving pressure from the state’s GOP-dominated legislature, which widely approved the legislation. But there’s fear -- expressed in letters from the state’s top business interests -- that Arizona would face an economic backlash if the measure is approved, similar to what happened after the governor’s approval of the state’s controversial immigration law in 2010.

The state economy lost an estimated $140 million in tourism and business revenue in the wake of that law.

Pressure from businesses -- including Apple, which recently announced intentions to build a new manufacturing facility in the state -- have ramped up since the state legislature passed the measure last Thursday.

U.S. Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake, both Republicans, also have urged the governor to veto the bill. The state’s leading GOP candidates for governor in 2014 have done the same. And three state senators have backed away from their “yes” votes.

On Monday, the Arizona Super Bowl Committee -- the state is hosting next year’s Super Bowl -- also urged the governor to veto the controversial legislation. Earlier in the day, the NFL released its own statement, saying: “Our policies emphasize tolerance and inclusiveness, and prohibit discrimination based on age, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other improper standard. We are following the issue in Arizona and will continue to do so should the bill be signed into law, but will decline further comment at this time.”

Arizona is a beautiful state, especially Sedona and the Grand Canyon. It's unfortunate that these pockets of intolerance still exist.

If tolerant real Christians would step up and distant themselves from these Taliban-like extremist Christians, disavow them, that would a long way to improving life in America.

Drive the intolerant bigots to their own hell.

No worries. Death will claim they soon enough. This is just the death rattle of Conservative Political Christianity, but we have a decade or two left to go.

Is that a fact. My, it is certainly interesting what "big shots" the internet can make. Take yourself, for example. Running around your folk's basement playing the "little Fidel".

You poor, misguided child.

Brewer is receiving pressure from the state’s GOP-dominated legislature, which widely approved the legislation. But there’s fear -- expressed in letters from the state’s top business interests -- that Arizona would face an economic backlash if the measure is approved, similar to what happened after the governor’s approval of the state’s controversial immigration law in 2010.

The state economy lost an estimated $140 million in tourism and business revenue in the wake of that law.

Pressure from businesses -- including Apple, which recently announced intentions to build a new manufacturing facility in the state -- have ramped up since the state legislature passed the measure last Thursday.

U.S. Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake, both Republicans, also have urged the governor to veto the bill. The state’s leading GOP candidates for governor in 2014 have done the same. And three state senators have backed away from their “yes” votes.

On Monday, the Arizona Super Bowl Committee -- the state is hosting next year’s Super Bowl -- also urged the governor to veto the controversial legislation. Earlier in the day, the NFL released its own statement, saying: “Our policies emphasize tolerance and inclusiveness, and prohibit discrimination based on age, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other improper standard. We are following the issue in Arizona and will continue to do so should the bill be signed into law, but will decline further comment at this time.”

Arizona is a beautiful state, especially Sedona and the Grand Canyon. It's unfortunate that these pockets of intolerance still exist.

If tolerant real Christians would step up and distant themselves from these Taliban-like extremist Christians, disavow them, that would a long way to improving life in America.

"Tolerant real Christians" - I see that you were eloquent enough to capitalize "Christian" - or was it spell check?

"Tolerant Christians" have stood up and are taking their country back. Sorry if it upsets your sensibilities.

I take it that by "drive the intolerant bigots to their own hell" that that is somehow a veiled threat? You might be careful about that big shot.

You want "improved life in America"? Leave it - things will immediately get better for the rest of us.

No worries. Death will claim they soon enough. This is just the death rattle of Conservative Political Christianity, but we have a decade or two left to go.

Is that a fact. My, it is certainly interesting what "big shots" the internet can make. Take yourself, for example. Running around your folk's basement playing the "little Fidel".

This is why you lost, twice. Reality eludes you but you hold to your illusions.

Didn't Arizona lose a super-bowl already when they refused to acknowledge the MLK Holiday? As McConnell said, "There is no lesson in the 2nd kick from the mule."

Incorrect again sonny. I have never sought nor have I ever ran for political office. I have lost nothing. You, on the other hand, are watching (and cheering) as your country dies.

Congratulations sonny. Josef would be so proud of you.

I live in AZ, and Brewer is becoming very much aware of the fact that the state is already under boycott by those that are taking a stand against discrimination. Her term limit expires soon, and she will not be up for reelection, so she is no longer owned by the far Right. She will veto it with regret. She is part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Incorrect again sonny. I have never sought nor have I ever ran for political office. I have lost nothing. You, on the other hand, are watching (and cheering) as your country dies.

You lost twice when Obama won. Do try and grow up, and not be so literal and partisan. It's dull.

I live in AZ, and Brewer is becoming very much aware of the fact that the state is already under boycott by those that are taking a stand against discrimination. Her term limit expires soon, and she will not be up for reelection, so she is no longer owned by the far Right. She will veto it with regret. She is part of the problem, not part of the solution.
If she does that would be the best of several bad moves. It's a lousy bill and not worth the bad press.

You lost twice when Obama won. Do try and grow up, and not be so literal and partisan. It's dull.

Young fella, you need much more professional help than I can give you. I encourage you to quickly leave your folks' basement and seek professional counseling.

I have no more to say to you.

That's what we used to think about the segregationist bigots back in the 70's -- they were stung in he 60's but they die off started by 1972 and they were becoming a National shame, the bad guy evil characters in films like Mississippi Burning.

In in 2008, the first black President was elected and we found out they were just hibernating.

Brewer is getting signals that the free market will punish Arizona.

Advertisers for their next Super Bowl are threatening to pull out.

Apple, Intel and handful of large businesses have threatened a backlash for purely market reason. These companies don't want the stigma and backlash associated with the legislation.

In a free country with a free market, people have a right to vote with their wallets, and governor Brewer has a right to make a rational decision based on what is best for her state.

That's what we used to think about the segregationist bigots back in the 70's -- they were stung in he 60's but they die off started by 1972 and they were becoming a National shame, the bad guy evil characters in films like Mississippi Burning.

In in 2008, the first black President was elected and we found out they were just hibernating.
Rome wasn't built in a day, and time is on your side.

I'd be very surprised if she signs it.

And quite frankly I will be surprised if she just doesn't leave it on her desk for the next 3-4 days (however much time is left) and let it become law WITHOUT her signature.

Win-Win.
Lose-Lose you mean. It will cost the state money and the court will toss it because it isn't specific enough. If it was specific enough the court would toss for creating an unequal class. It's DOA no matter what.

I'd be very surprised if she signs it.

And quite frankly I will be surprised if she just doesn't leave it on her desk for the next 3-4 days (however much time is left) and let it become law WITHOUT her signature.

Win-Win.
Lose-Lose you mean. It will cost the state money and the court will toss it because it isn't specific enough. If it was specific enough the court would toss for creating an unequal class. It's DOA no matter what.

Yeah, you're probably right sonny. Just like the fags bankrupting Chick-Fil-A worked so well....grow up.

Just like the fags bankrupting Chick-Fil-A worked so well....grow up.
Anyone who said such a thing is an idiot. Did you? But the US State Courts aren't right-wing chicken pimps. They follow rules, precedents, even societal trends and advancing morality. If you watch them for a few decades like I have you'll be able to figure what dog is going to hunt and what one gets taken out back and shot. This one, won't hunt. Just watch, you can admit I was right later.

Forum List

Back