BREAKING: US-Aiir jet crashes into Hudson River near NYC

Before I can make an adequate comment on this, I need to see a dramatization simulation of what WOULD have happened if the plane crashed into a school for young children.

yeah really, maybe the pilot was text messaging?:lol:

We should now bring all canadian geese in for questioning. We have them in are park downtown and those things are evil sometimes. They will stalk you!

Couldn't believe how bad they were the last time I went to Colorado--- they can fill up a golf course with green shit peanuts in no time !

The pilot is the hero in this. I cannot believe he was able to react that quickly with both engines gone. 180 degree turn & enough composure to land it in the Hudson river.

Definitely a day to celebrate! Miracles really do happen.

The pilot is the hero in this. I cannot believe he was able to react that quickly with both engines gone. 180 degree turn & enough composure to land it in the Hudson river.

they said he was going to try and land in New Jersey but soon realized that wouldn't happen. Could you imagine watching it all happen? One guy on the news couldn't thank the pilot enough!

The pilot has been getting great publicity here, I've been following the major papers (online sites) here which have been reporting it and rightly so, the man is not just very brave and very skilful, he is truly honourable and indeed deserves to be formally recognised for his courage and leadership.

If I may make one observation from one of our papers. I'm not an aviator but I am interested in aircraft so I had to snigger (yeah, being all superior and stuff) when I read that, "two of the A320's engines were put out of action". I supposed sub-editors don't work on the online paper.....:redface:

Anyway, great result all round. Well done to everyone in this.

How good a pilot can he be? He DID hit the birds, after all....

Anyway, evidence that miracles happen. I'll bet there were quite a few people on that plane praying for one.

I wonder how many of them will never fly again? I think it would cure me.

That's just bullshit, Allie. How the hell do you swerve to miss two flocks of geese flying a jet airliner? Shit happens.

The fact that the pilot set that bird down on the water without breaking up or cartwheeling WITH damaged engines is all the testament to his ability to fly anything that gets off the ground I need.

His conduct aftet landing was commendable as well. He was the last person off his plane.

Kudos to everyone involved. The passengers remained calm and apparently boats from both NY and NJ converged on the plane as if they'd discovered a sunken treasure ship and all 155 people were evacuated.

Just when you lose faith in the idiots that cut you off on the freeway, some remind you that there is still some selflessness left in this country that rises above "I-me" and politics.

Before I can make an adequate comment on this, I need to see a dramatization simulation of what WOULD have happened if the plane crashed into a school for young children.

Loo k at what happened when the airliner crashed in the Potomac back in the early 90s. A FAR different conclusion. People died.

r-PLANE-huge.jpg

funny, that doesn't look completely submerged at all, your attention to detail makes me think that you must be an Osamabama supporter....... am I right?:lol::lol::lol:

The Captain was a professional pilot, well schooled and trained for emergencies such as this, he will be the first to say that he was just doing his job that he is well paid for. He did his job and I bet he's a conservative, no liberal would have been able to handle it.

It seems to be good advertising for Airbus:

" Aviation expert James Ferguson said he had never seen anything like it.
"If you hit water fairly hard, as you will do with an aircraft, it tends to break up. But this aircraft seems to be virtually undamaged," he said. "

I don't think it s only the pilot who should get credit for this, because if it were a weak plane it would have broke causing the plane to sink immediately.

Here are some great pictures of the whole thing:
Plane Crashes into Hudson River - The New York Times > U.S. > Slide Show > Slide 1 of 16

And since nobody has put an article source yet:

Plane crashes in Hudson river in New York | World news | guardian.co.uk

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/16/nyregion/16crash.html?_r=1

And it hard to believe it was just one bird that could take out both engines, unless it was a also a technical failure of the aircraft.

Last edited:
It seems to be good advertising for Airbus:

" Aviation expert James Ferguson said he had never seen anything like it.
"If you hit water fairly hard, as you will do with an aircraft, it tends to break up. But this aircraft seems to be virtually undamaged," he said. "

Here are some great pictures of the whole thing:
Plane Crashes into Hudson River - The New York Times > U.S. > Slide Show > Slide 1 of 16

And since nobody has put an article source:

Plane crashes in Hudson river in New York | World news | guardian.co.uk

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/16/nyregion/16crash.html?_r=1

Yea, the last Airbus crash in New York, the rudder fell off because the pilot pushed the pedal too hard........ great planes:lol:

they said he was going to try and land in New Jersey but soon realized that wouldn't happen. Could you imagine watching it all happen? One guy on the news couldn't thank the pilot enough!

Have you ever been to New Jersey? The traffic is terrible. They'd have been tied up on the NJ Turnpike for hours if he'd landed there.

So I don't blame the guy to putting the plane into the drink.

He probably had something important to do later than day, and realized the traffic on the Hudson would be lighter at that time of day.

Government workers ride to the rescue and perform at their usual high standards! :clap2:

Emergency services are one of the few things they do well.

But let's ignore all the people on the ferry boats who also aided in the rescue. :rolleyes:

Government workers ride to the rescue and perform at their usual high standards! :clap2:

Look at this video, you can see when exactly the government shoots into action.
You can see like 6 boats in the area of the plane and then one vessel that is far away coming towards the plane: guess wich one(s) are from the government. :eusa_whistle:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfUMctcFP4U]YouTube - Bird strike downs Airbus crashes in Hudson river off New York The pilot of a US Airways plane carrying 155 people has performed a "masterful" crash-landing into New York's Hudson River[/ame]

Last edited:
Look at this video, you can see when exactly the government shoots into action.
You can see like 6 boats in the area of the plane and then one vessel that is far away coming towards the plane: guess wich one(s) are from the government. :eusa_whistle:

YouTube - Bird strike downs Airbus crashes in Hudson river off New York The pilot of a US Airways plane carrying 155 people has performed a "masterful" crash-landing into New York's Hudson River

Those ferry boats were already in the water and in the vicinity, though. The emergency services boats had to be dispatched from other locations. It makes sense that they wouldn't beat the ferries to the scene.

Forum List

Back