Breaking up Big Tech

Manonthestreet

Diamond Member
May 20, 2014
For awhile some on the right have been pointing out the threat of censorious private co's who control the vast flow of information in this country to a point a large swath of the country wont know established facts until something calamitous rocks their world, see stunned reactions to Hillary losing. As calamities go that rates low. What happens if its something far worse.
Found this article from the left and they are arriving at same conclusion about breaking them up but for different reasons. Thought this was beyond possible but if both sides are talking about it perhaps not.
Why Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google Need to Be Disrupted

For awhile some on the right have been pointing out the threat of censorious private co's who control the vast flow of information in this country to a point a large swath of the country wont know established facts until something calamitous rocks their world, see stunned reactions to Hillary losing. As calamities go that rates low. What happens if its something far worse.
Found this article from the left and they are arriving at same conclusion about breaking them up but for different reasons. Thought this was beyond possible but if both sides are talking about it perhaps not.
Why Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google Need to Be Disrupted
My impulse is against the very thought of this, but I have to admit, they are damaging the very foundation of competition in multiple markets. Right now the one the concerns me the most is Amazon. This concentration is not good.

Google is losing one anti-trust battle after another. Google should be broken up. A search engine shouldn't have so much control of the fates of other businesses.

Government should change anti-competative laws that lead to so much power being consolidated in so few companies.

So the right is into regulation and trust busting..

Republicans have no interest in breaking up the giant tech companies. But, the government created these giant companies so there's nothing "unfair" about the government breaking them up.

I'm not in favor of regulating, but in deregulating, ending the laws that create monopolies. BTW, it is only government anti-trust threats why there isn't just one tech companies that controls all technology.

Republicans have no interest in deregulation, either.

Does this look like the bust up of AT&T in the 1970's? After MCI, it just lead to more chaos. Or is it a government fear that they can't raid these corporations?

Forum List

Back