"Breaking News"

Okay, yes, this is probably just me griping, but I've had it with news stations/networks that overuse, IMO, the "breaking news" label.

I know, based on what I observe is the way they use the label, that to news networks, "breaking news" means "information they'd not previously shared." Okay, fine, I get that, and I see the validity of that construal of the phrase. All the same, I think "breaking news" should be reserved for information that is just slightly below or at the level of what the Emergency Broadcasting System would deem worthy of sharing with the public.

In my opinion, "breaking news" should be reserved for content that is (1) indeed new, thus news and (2) important enough that everyone needs to know and ponder, if not act upon, now, or at least sooner rather than later.

For example, CNN just interrupted its regular content with a "breaking news" announcement. What is the breaking news? VP Pence is landing "right now" in the Korean DMZ. Wonderful. We already knew he was in South Korea and that he intends to be there for a couple days into the week. We already know he's not having any official events with S. Korean officials.

I don't see what's so critical about his "landing right now by helicopter in the DMZ" that it warrants the "breaking news" label, other, of course, than the mere fact that event had not occurred, thus one could not have previously said it. My point, then, is that couldn't the fact of Pence's appearance in the DMZ been as sufficiently reported as part of a regularly scheduled program?

Too often I find news programs placing excess temporal importance on the events that occur during the day. That observation and judgment on my part is the point of my beef. Sadly, I don't know what course to purse or encourage to get news programs to make better judgment calls about using the "breaking news" label.

Probably because tensions are high and ww3 could touch off right where Pence is today?

It truly Trumps Hillary's "Landing under sniper fire".

^See what I did there? :D

The news used to be on a much slower cycle. If people were lucky, they'd get a paper in the morning and the afternoon.

Now we have 24/7 news. They all want your eyeballs on them. So they must make it seem like they are completely on top of any news that's happening at the moment.

It's also why news stories sound so frantically important. "What's in your fridge right now could kill you!" "Why owning a pet could be the worst thing for your child!" "Online predators coming to get your dog!"

Because so much is reported as it happens, there's no time to take a step back and get a little perspective. And other times, it's meant to gin up anxiety, because that keeps people watching. I mean, what if something is in my refrigerator that will kill me? (the answer is bacon, and yes, eventually)

Okay, yes, this is probably just me griping, but I've had it with news stations/networks that overuse, IMO, the "breaking news" label.

I know, based on what I observe is the way they use the label, that to news networks, "breaking news" means "information they'd not previously shared." Okay, fine, I get that, and I see the validity of that construal of the phrase. All the same, I think "breaking news" should be reserved for information that is just slightly below or at the level of what the Emergency Broadcasting System would deem worthy of sharing with the public.

In my opinion, "breaking news" should be reserved for content that is (1) indeed new, thus news and (2) important enough that everyone needs to know and ponder, if not act upon, now, or at least sooner rather than later.

For example, CNN just interrupted its regular content with a "breaking news" announcement. What is the breaking news? VP Pence is landing "right now" in the Korean DMZ. Wonderful. We already knew he was in South Korea and that he intends to be there for a couple days into the week. We already know he's not having any official events with S. Korean officials.

I don't see what's so critical about his "landing right now by helicopter in the DMZ" that it warrants the "breaking news" label, other, of course, than the mere fact that event had not occurred, thus one could not have previously said it. My point, then, is that couldn't the fact of Pence's appearance in the DMZ been as sufficiently reported as part of a regularly scheduled program?

Too often I find news programs placing excess temporal importance on the events that occur during the day. That observation and judgment on my part is the point of my beef. Sadly, I don't know what course to purse or encourage to get news programs to make better judgment calls about using the "breaking news" label.

Probably because tensions are high and ww3 could touch off right where Pence is today?

It truly Trumps Hillary's "Landing under sniper fire".

^See what I did there? :D

"Tensions are high" because of drumpf but maybe that's why he sent Pence. With his wife. Who probably has a gun in her purse in case another woman sits at their table.

Actually, when I heard his say that, what I thought was that old joke about after the wedding, the new bride removes his penis, drops it in her pursed, brushes her hands off and declares, "There, you won't be needing THAT again".

What a disgusting little freak he is with his disgusting sharia law attacks on the Constitution.

Personally, I think that it is nice of Trump to allow Pence off of his leash every now and then. I am sure that the man needs a vacation from standing next to Trump with a "bigly" smile while Trump signs another EO in a photo opp.

Last edited:
The news used to be on a much slower cycle. If people were lucky, they'd get a paper in the morning and the afternoon.

Now we have 24/7 news. They all want your eyeballs on them. So they must make it seem like they are completely on top of any news that's happening at the moment.

It's also why news stories sound so frantically important. "What's in your fridge right now could kill you!" "Why owning a pet could be the worst thing for your child!" "Online predators coming to get your dog!"

Because so much is reported as it happens, there's no time to take a step back and get a little perspective. And other times, it's meant to gin up anxiety, because that keeps people watching. I mean, what if something is in my refrigerator that will kill me? (the answer is bacon, and yes, eventually)

That's exactly what it is --- market manipulation. Urgency and fear mean eyeballs, and eyeballs mean ratings, and ratings mean ad dollars. This is the price we pay for commercially-funded news media, and it's a steep one.

The only Breaking News here is when you see it posted by me, American Patriot Steve McGarrett!

My all-time fave is still the time you were having a heart attack and your best judgment was that the first thing to do is to go on USMB and start a thread about it. Good times.

The only Breaking News here is when you see it posted by me, American Patriot Steve McGarrett!

My all-time fave is still the time you were having a heart attack and your best judgment was that the first thing to do is to go on USMB and start a thread about it. Good times.
I was already online on the board when I was starting to get chest pains. As the pain escalated, I had to haul ass to the emergency room.

Personally, I think that it is nice of Trump to allow Pence off of his leash every now and then. I am sure that the man needs a vacation from standing next to Trump with a "bigly" smile while Trump signs another EO in a photo opp.
Sending VP Pence to ground zero in the most imminent nuclear retaliatory strike by N.Korea is not exactly a vacation.

I was already online on the board when I was starting to get chest pains. As the pain escalated, I had to haul ass to the emergency room.

---- where you got a black doctor. Yeah we all had guffaws about that.

Sending VP Pence to ground zero in the most imminent nuclear retaliatory strike by N.Korea is not exactly a vacation.

I'm sure that Pence is doing so extremely high level and secret talks with whoever the hell runs S, Korea, like, "Say, do Asians have transgender people wanting to use the wrong restrooms, too?"

I'm sure that Pence is doing so extremely high level and secret talks with whoever the hell runs S, Korea, like, "Say, do Asians have transgender people wanting to use the wrong restrooms, too?"
Pence is a hostage given to S.Korea by Trump so that if N.Korea bombs Seoul and Pence is killed it will be a direct act of war against the USA allowing the US to nuke the sh!t out of every inch of N.Korea.

BREAKING NEWS --

This manhunt for the Cleveland Facebook killer Stevens is still on the loose.

Forum List

Back