Breaking News: U.S. Supreme Court Stops Gay Marriage In Utah

The right to marry is not a constitutional issue. The constitution does not recognize a fundamental right to marry. Why would it have anything to do with civil rights?

According to the SCOTUS you are mistaken.

Marriage is not mentioned anywhere in the constitution. It is not a right.

marriage is not mentioned in the Constitution at any point

Things That Are Not In the U.S. Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

the Constitution does not define a right to marriage

Marriage and the Constitution - Christopher Merola - Page full

Loving v Virginia, Turner v Safley and Zabloki v Wisconsin. Marriage is a fundamental right.

Isn't their main desire simply a recognition of their commitment? I could care less if two guys or two gals want to "marry." Keep the government out of it.

No they want .gov recognition.

Only marriage is reserved to the States' purview.

Which puts a "kink" in it.

I see what you did there.

Your state, your rules. There are obviously people in the great state of Utah who disagree with that position, though.

Gay marriage is inevitable. And only religious progressives believe in Government controlling our sex lives as marriage. Marriage is a Government issue for tax reasons only, get rid of the deductions and taxes and there is no reason for Government to be involved in a religious matter.

Agreed. We should all just get gay married and be done with it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWxWzqChvfo]South Park - Gay Fish - YouTube[/ame]

I agree with whoever it was that said they'd watch the shit out of Gay Divorce Court.

Its not a civil rights issue. No one has the right to be married. But everyone has the right to own or rent property free of government interference.

Well, the Supremes have seen a right to marriage.

Beyond that, it's a civil rights issue in that it is a right that anything the state offers must be offered to citizens equally, unless there is a valid justification in the eyes of the courts.

Homosexuality is a paraphilia like any other.

You are far within your rights to engage between consenting adults.

You have the right to marry in states were it is the will of the people

But it is what it is.

This is where I become confused. Marriage s a conservative concept.

Why are conservatives against it and gays for it?

Gays want to be more conservative why don't we let them?
Marriage is a social and cultural concept that stretches back into the mists of prehistory, long, long before there was such a thing as a 'Conservative' or a 'Liberal', and before an alphabet had even been invented by which to spell such words.

Pretending that gay-unions are 'marriage' is a modern-day Liberal concept that repels and nauseates much of the rest of the population.

SCOTUS recognizes the right to marriage, recognizes the federal interest in marriage, and recognizes the purview of the 14th Amendment.

We will see what will happen.

This is where I become confused. Marriage s a conservative concept.

Why are conservatives against it and gays for it?

Gays want to be more conservative why don't we let them?

I think most of the nation is for "civil unions"--which is the exact same as marriage--just not called marriage. Marriage--means husband and wife--husband being male and wife being female. And I think that is what irritates most people. It's been that way for centuries--the association of words--that doesn't go away easily.

However, in our country there is such a basic human right in our constitution--called "The pursuit of happiness"--and I don't see how the court is going to be able to ban gay marriage because of that.

Pursuit of happiness is not the same as attainment of happiness...
wink_smile.gif

However, in our country there is such a basic human right in our constitution--called "The pursuit of happiness"--and I don't see how the court is going to be able to ban gay marriage because of that.

Link to Pursuit of Happiness Clause in our Constitution ?

This is indeed great news to hear. I am glad the SCOTUS stepped in and overruled a radical judge's ruling. Gay marriage should not be tolerated in the United States since it is a abomination. What we all should be promoting is the traditional marriage between man and woman. This is a win for moral family values and common decency.

Supreme Court puts gay marriage on hold in Utah | Fox News

The Supreme Court on Monday put gay marriage on hold in Utah, giving the state time to appeal a federal judge's ruling against Utah's same-sex marriage ban.

The court issued a brief order Monday blocking any new same-sex unions in the state. The ruling comes after a Dec. 20 ruling by U.S. District Judge Robert Shelby that the state's ban on same-sex marriage violates gay and lesbian couples' constitutional rights.

Well your traditional marriage has a 50% divorce rate in this country today.

Furthermore--no ONE wakes up one morning and decides to have sex with the same sex. IOW--being gay is NOT A CHOICE someone makes. Nor can being gay be prayed away.

Those that are straight are going to be straight for all of their lives, and those that are gay are going to be gay all of their lives. I don't think because someone is different from you that they should be persecuted by others who think like you do.

I would prefer that Gays have civil unions versus marriage--because of the association of the words husband meaning male and wife being female. That's my only issue with this.

what an odd move by SCOTUS. Why this state and not other ones that went through the courts? Smells fishy.......

This won't happen: "Unless society at-large determines that activities and behaviors related to such pursuit are detrimental to society."

This is indeed great news to hear. I am glad the SCOTUS stepped in and overruled a radical judge's ruling. Gay marriage should not be tolerated in the United States since it is a abomination. What we all should be promoting is the traditional marriage between man and woman. This is a win for moral family values and common decency.

Supreme Court puts gay marriage on hold in Utah | Fox News

The Supreme Court on Monday put gay marriage on hold in Utah, giving the state time to appeal a federal judge's ruling against Utah's same-sex marriage ban.

The court issued a brief order Monday blocking any new same-sex unions in the state. The ruling comes after a Dec. 20 ruling by U.S. District Judge Robert Shelby that the state's ban on same-sex marriage violates gay and lesbian couples' constitutional rights.

Well your traditional marriage has a 50% divorce rate in this country today.

Furthermore--no ONE wakes up one morning and decides to have sex with the same sex. IOW--being gay is NOT A CHOICE someone makes. Nor can being gay be prayed away.

Those that are straight are going to be straight for all of their lives, and those that are gay are going to be gay all of their lives. I don't think because someone is different from you that they should be persecuted by others who think like you do.

I would prefer that Gays have civil unions versus marriage--because of the association of the words husband meaning male and wife being female. That's my only issue with this.

The only way your idea passes Constitutional muster is if you took the word marriage out of ALL civil marriage licenses. Civil Unions for gays and legal marriage for straights is unconstitutional. Civil Unions for all is not.

Forum List

Back