Breaking News: U.S. Supreme Court Stops Gay Marriage In Utah

Good that the Supreme Court put a halt to this. The solution here is to ask the residents of Utah during the midterms later this year. Let the residents of Utah decide the direction of their state.

Putting civil rights up for a ballot question is one of the worst things you can do to a group of people you know.

What do you think would happen if the people of Alabama were left to decide the fate of the African American communities in the 1960's?
The right to marry is not a constitutional issue. The constitution does not recognize a fundamental right to marry. Why would it have anything to do with civil rights?

This is where I become confused. Marriage s a conservative concept.

Why are conservatives against it and gays for it?

Gays want to be more conservative why don't we let them?

No reason to be confused, marriage is between a man and a woman, it's open to any individual who chooses to enter into it. You want something else, call it something else. End confusion.

This is indeed great news to hear. I am glad the SCOTUS stepped in and overruled a radical judge's ruling. Gay marriage should not be tolerated in the United States since it is a abomination. What we all should be promoting is the traditional marriage between man and woman. This is a win for moral family values and common decency.

Supreme Court puts gay marriage on hold in Utah | Fox News

The Supreme Court on Monday put gay marriage on hold in Utah, giving the state time to appeal a federal judge's ruling against Utah's same-sex marriage ban.

The court issued a brief order Monday blocking any new same-sex unions in the state. The ruling comes after a Dec. 20 ruling by U.S. District Judge Robert Shelby that the state's ban on same-sex marriage violates gay and lesbian couples' constitutional rights.
I believe the States should have the right to determine what laws they should be allowed to follow.

However, I disagree with your notion that government should be allowed to enter anyone's bedroom and dictate, under penalty of law, what a person can or cannot do in their homes. This is not a Conservative stance and smacks of tyranny.

Either you are for limited government, or you are not.

How does not expanding the governments power to regulate same sex relationships allow the government to dictate what a person can do in their homes? By not recognizing same sex relationships as marriage, has the government prevented them from doing anything they want sexually?
Yes, it has.

However, there is a much simpler solution. Simply do away with government recognized marriage all together. Civil contracts can do everything that current marriage law does, without the emotional blackmail and governmental oppression.

Marriage is essentially a Religious Institution. People can get married in church, and if they can find a church to marry the same sex, more power to them.

However, religious marriage would not be recognized by the government for anyone. Only civil contracts.

I don't really need any government to tell Me I am married, so I could care less what others, the government, or even God thinks about it.

Good that the Supreme Court put a halt to this. The solution here is to ask the residents of Utah during the midterms later this year. Let the residents of Utah decide the direction of their state.

Putting civil rights up for a ballot question is one of the worst things you can do to a group of people you know.

What do you think would happen if the people of Alabama were left to decide the fate of the African American communities in the 1960's?
gay marriage is NOT a civil right civil rights protects classes and races homosexuality is neither
dont disagree with gays getting married but its NOT civil rights issue

This is where I become confused. Marriage s a conservative concept.

Why are conservatives against it and gays for it?

Gays want to be more conservative why don't we let them?
I could only speak for myself, however as a man of faith, I don't acknowledge nor endorse gay marriage. My faith is extremely important to me, and I would not ever consider abandoning my faith in order to endorse gay marriage.

And I would hope you would never be asked to.

Now...let's go on to civil laws....do you think that civil laws should be at the beck and call of religious beliefs?
Of course not. However we need to use common sense and good judgment. For instance, if I were employed as an IRS official, and my faith would prevent me from processing same sex joint tax returns, I should be excused from that part of the job. The IRS would need to provide special accommodation so the IRS official would not lose his job because of his faith.

I could only speak for myself, however as a man of faith, I don't acknowledge nor endorse gay marriage. My faith is extremely important to me, and I would not ever consider abandoning my faith in order to endorse gay marriage.

And I would hope you would never be asked to.

Now...let's go on to civil laws....do you think that civil laws should be at the beck and call of religious beliefs?
Of course not. However we need to use common sense and good judgment. For instance, if I were employed as an IRS official, and my faith would prevent me from processing same sex joint tax returns, I should be excused from that part of the job. The IRS would need to provide special accommodation so the IRS official would not lose his job because of his faith.

Actually, it's about the government NOT curtailing equal rights when it comes to it's treatment of law-abiding tax-paying citizens. It can...but only with valid legal reasons why.

refusing the same rights to certain people because of how they are born is a civil rights issue
no they have the same rights as anybody else they just want extra rights no covered by the constitution
we could say the same for pedifiles could nt we ?

This is indeed great news to hear. I am glad the SCOTUS stepped in and overruled a radical judge's ruling. Gay marriage should not be tolerated in the United States since it is a abomination. What we all should be promoting is the traditional marriage between man and woman. This is a win for moral family values and common decency.

The Supreme Court on Monday put gay marriage on hold in Utah, giving the state time to appeal a federal judge's ruling against Utah's same-sex marriage ban.

The court issued a brief order Monday blocking any new same-sex unions in the state. The ruling comes after a Dec. 20 ruling by U.S. District Judge Robert Shelby that the state's ban on same-sex marriage violates gay and lesbian couples' constitutional rights.
****I believe the States should have the right to determine what laws they should be allowed to follow. ****

However, I disagree with your notion that government should be allowed to enter anyone's bedroom and dictate, under penalty of law, what a person can or cannot do in their homes. This is not a Conservative stance and smacks of tyranny.

I agree the states should decide its personal preferance NOT CIVIL RIGHTS

****I believe the States should have the right to determine what laws they should be allowed to follow. ****

I agree the states should decide its personal preferance NOT CIVIL RIGHTS
Its not a civil rights issue. No one has the right to be married. But everyone has the right to own or rent property free of government interference.

You do realize this is just a procedural issue, right? The injunction is appropriate while the matter is pending appeal, in order to preserve the status quo. This has nothing to do with the merits of the case.

The right to marry is not a constitutional issue. The constitution does not recognize a fundamental right to marry. Why would it have anything to do with civil rights?

According to the SCOTUS you are mistaken.

Marriage is not mentioned anywhere in the constitution. It is not a right.

marriage is not mentioned in the Constitution at any point
Things That Are Not In the U.S. Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

the Constitution does not define a right to marriage
Marriage and the Constitution - Christopher Merola - Page full

According to the SCOTUS, it is not their job to protect us from a corrupt Congress or Executive.

Their credibility no longer applies in matters of Constitutionality. I realize people will forever follow the SCOTUS as the final arbitrator of all that is holy and good and right.....but I no longer bother with citing them as an authority on anything but their own hubris.

According to the SCOTUS, it is not their job to protect us from a corrupt Congress or Executive.

Their credibility no longer applies in matters of Constitutionality. I realize people will forever follow the SCOTUS as the final arbitrator of all that is holy and good and right.....but I no longer bother with citing them as an authority on anything but their own hubris.

Like it or not, they get the final say. That said, whether gays in Utah can marry isn't something I really wonder about. If I did, I'd wonder WTF they're thinking to even live in Utah. LOL Hey, the want abuse, move here to Mississippi. They'll have a blast ... possibly literally.

Yep. Against my State's Constitution.

In the United States, it falls to states to make the laws governing marriage.

In Utah's request for a stay of Shelby's ruling, governor Gary Herbert cited a Supreme Court decision at the end of June in the case of "Windsor v. United States" that reaffirmed that principle.

In that decision, the Supreme Court struck down a federal law that refused marriage benefits to legally married homosexuals. But it recalled that marriage was a matter for the states.

Herbert argued that Shelby had ignored "Windsor's repeated reaffirmations of the States' virtually plenary authority over marriage."

"The district court's due process analysis is contradicted, not supported, by Windsor,"

US Supreme Court temporarily blocks gay marriage in Utah

Last edited:
Isn't their main desire simply a recognition of their commitment? I could care less if two guys or two gals want to "marry." Keep the government out of it.

Isn't their main desire simply a recognition of their commitment? I could care less if two guys or two gals want to "marry." Keep the government out of it.

No they want .gov recognition.

Only marriage is reserved to the States' purview.

Which puts a "kink" in it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back