BREAKING NEWS: Appeals court rules part of President Obama’s health care law unconsti

Couple of guests on Charlie Rose tonight talking about the economy...

... one made the point that its going to take consumer demand to get the economy going again...

... that got me to thinking...

... what will happen to consumer demand when the premiums of Obamacare demand to be paid?

Seems to me that will shunt money from most peoples' pocketbooks away from buying goods and services...

.. to paying the premiums instead of spurring the economy.
:eusa_eh:

There is a plan to cut costs.

full-auto-albums-obama-care-picture3871-universalhealthcarecartoon.jpg

... one made the point that its going to take consumer demand to get the economy going again...

... what will happen to consumer demand when the premiums of Obamacare demand to be paid?

Seems to me that will shunt money from most peoples' pocketbooks away from buying goods and services...

:)

The best the combined efforts of the President and Democrats and Republicans in Congress could do was to essentially cut no costs this year or next year and reduce the projected future costs so that the debt is projected to climb only $7 trillion more over the next 10 years. That is IF they didn't lowball that figure (which they ALWAYS do) and IF future Congresses implement the listed spending cuts, and if you believe that will happen I have a nice assortment of bridges to show you.

We are now $14+ trillion in debt, the debt clock is running so fast it is a blur, our credit rating has been downgraded and still includes a negative outlook meaning more downgrades could be coming, the economy is so slow the debt now approximates the GDP, and the Preident is wanting more stimulus spending.

And we're not broke??????? Lordy, if we don't do something about education soon, we're absolutely doomed.

And if we don't defund and rescind Obamacare and put Congress on a strict revenue diet, it isn't going to matter anyway.

Last edited:

The best the combined efforts of the President and Democrats and Republicans in Congress could do was to essentially cut no costs this year or next year and reduce the projected future costs so that the debt is projected to climb only $7 trillion more over the next 10 years. That is IF they didn't lowball that figure (which they ALWAYS do) and IF future Congresses implement the listed spending cuts, and if you believe that will happen I have a nice assortment of bridges to show you.

We are now $14+ trillion in debt, the debt clock is running so fast it is a blur, our credit rating has been downgraded and still includes a negative outlook meaning more downgrades could be coming, the economy is so slow the debt now approximates the GDP, and the Preident is wanting more stimulus spending.

And we're not broke??????? Lordy, if we don't do something about education soon, we're absolutely doomed.

And if we don't defund and rescind Obamacare and put Congress on a strict revenue diet, it isn't going to matter anyway.

I was going through you tube clips of Pelosi. She thanked the insurance companies for their support. WELL DUH

Wouldn't forcing people to buy auto insurance also be unconstitutional?

Nope, you have a choice to drive or own a car and not to do so..........

I have to disagree with Ollie on his reason.

The states have the right to mandate auto insurance as one of the powers of the states via the 10th Amendment. The federal government does not mandate auto insurance. Only the states do. In the same manner, states could pass mandated health insurance coverage. The states can not the federal government.

BTW: Welcome to USMB. Enjoy you time with us.

Immie

The healthcare law makes possible the addition of 14 million more people to Medicaid. It does not actually add anyone because the states have to come up with their share of the cost. In most states it's 50%. I would think with the current financial situation, it will be some time before the states can match federal funds.

I'm surprised that those that really want to get government out of healthcare, are not lobbying to revoke their state Medicaid laws. Medicaid is a state program so the state should be able to discontinue it.

The states have the right to mandate auto insurance as one of the powers of the states via the 10th Amendment. The federal government does not mandate auto insurance. Only the states do. In the same manner, states could pass mandated health insurance coverage. The states can not the federal government.

Immie
Massachusetts requires citizens to carrier health insurance as do a number of foreign countries. I'm not sure if any other state has that requirement.

Immie
Massachusetts requires citizens to carrier health insurance as do a number of foreign countries. I'm not sure if any other state has that requirement.

As far as I know only Massachusetts does at this point in time. Should Massachusetts law prove a workable idea then I suspect other states would follow suit.

I don't know enough about the Massachusetts law, but I am not keen on government control of the health insurance industry. Strike that up to not trusting politicians or bureaucrats.

Immie

I was always told driving was a privilege not a right.

So mandating insurance for a privilege doesnt seem like a big deal to me.

Your parents told you that, didn't they? :D

Of course, now that I am a parent, I see their point.

Immie

The healthcare law makes possible the addition of 14 million more people to Medicaid. It does not actually add anyone because the states have to come up with their share of the cost. In most states it's 50%. I would think with the current financial situation, it will be some time before the states can match federal funds.

I'm surprised that those that really want to get government out of healthcare, are not lobbying to revoke their state Medicaid laws. Medicaid is a state program so the state should be able to discontinue it.

Medicare is broke now. Next stop 30 trillion debt?

Immie

no, it was the Ohio State patrol...

After my first ticket,

for Evasion when i was 16.

Tell ya what,

that was the last time i used pa's car to try to outrun the cops

:eusa_whistle:

Immie

no, it was the Ohio State patrol...

After my first ticket,

for Evasion when i was 16.

Tell ya what,

that was the last time i used pa's car to try to outrun the cops

:eusa_whistle:

LOL I owned my first car at 15. I used to park it a few blocks away so the ole man wouldnt find out. Never did either.

Most of them probably realize (1) that Medicaid is huge for local and state economies, and (2) that withdrawing from Medicaid doesn't eliminate the need to support local health centers, pay for long-term care, and provide care for low-income people. Even states like Texas and Wyoming that have made noises about opting out of Medicaid and commissioned studies this year to analyze the potential impact on the state ended up with reports suggesting that opting out wasn't a good idea.

Forum List

Back