Breaking: Giants trade Odell Beckham jr

I have a feeling us diehard Giant Fans are going to wait a long time for a winning season. I guess the plan is for Manning to start this season and his heir apparent draft pick to learn from him. Manning will retire at the end of the season. There is just no reason for him to stay any longer.
The key to a winning season years ago was creating a #1 defense. After Strahan retired, the defense went down hill fast.
Looks like the Jets will do much better before the Giants ever do.

As a Giant fan, we just don't know
We have a lot of new pieces and have no idea how they will work together. Until we get the QB situation settled, the team will be one big question mark. Be a long time till we get another Eli

The Defense is a shambles with no real studs to talk about
You are tanking for the 2020 NFL draft. You will need a quarterback. Supposedly there is a better class of the next year then this year. It is a shame for Eli. This guy is the anti Namath but handled being in a tough city for his career. His brother may have not handled the pressure better then him.

Beckham will count $16 million against the cap for the Giants in 2019 while he's playing for the Browns. The Giants made him the highest paid WR just last year. Great move? It's a move that could get Gettleman fired if things don't go well for the Giants pretty quickly.

If they'd made this trade before giving OBJ the big contract, sure, good deal. As it is, it's a head-scratcher.

Draft picks (players on the upswing supposedly) for one of the great head-cases in professional sports. And they will likely be in full blown re-building mode for 3-5 years.

With the Browns being the Browns...they could be some high draft picks too. LOL

That still doesn't explain giving Beckham a big contract months before trading him, causing so much dead money to affect the Giants' cap. And if the Giants are going to rebuild, why is Manning still there? The Giants management has made some very questionable calls in recent years.
True.

Better to have made the trade though than have kept OBJ in my opinion.
We will have to see how OBJ does in Cleveland and how the draft picks work out

Prediction: OBJ out of the league in 3 seasons.
Little chance of that

But receivers usually expire in their early 30s

I have a feeling us diehard Giant Fans are going to wait a long time for a winning season. I guess the plan is for Manning to start this season and his heir apparent draft pick to learn from him. Manning will retire at the end of the season. There is just no reason for him to stay any longer.
The key to a winning season years ago was creating a #1 defense. After Strahan retired, the defense went down hill fast.

We have a lot of new pieces and have no idea how they will work together. Until we get the QB situation settled, the team will be one big question mark. Be a long time till we get another Eli

You are tanking for the 2020 NFL draft. You will need a quarterback. Supposedly there is a better class of the next year then this year. It is a shame for Eli. This guy is the anti Namath but handled being in a tough city for his career. His brother may have not handled the pressure better then him.
Fans are quick to throw away an aging QB

A new guy will obviously be better. Usually you end up with a progression of mediocre QBs and retreads

A new guy will obviously be better. Usually you end up with a progression of mediocre QBs and retreads

I would have been considering getting rid of Eli for years, were I the Giants GM. The man had a couple of great playoff runs to win the SB, that can't be denied, but he's been a mediocre regular season QB for almost all of his career.

I would have been considering getting rid of Eli for years, were I the Giants GM. The man had a couple of great playoff runs to win the SB, that can't be denied, but he's been a mediocre regular season QB for almost all of his career.
His career stats are all top ten for QBs
He has played for some mediocre offenses with few pro bowl capable players around him. Until OBJ he had no HOF type players

He has played for some mediocre offenses with few pro bowl capable players around him. Until OBJ he had no HOF type players

Which stats are those, exactly? Just looking at modern QBs, his stats don't compare very favorably to players like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, or his brother. His stats are actually pretty comparable to someone like Donovan McNabb, with Eli coming out just ahead. Philip Rivers has better stats than Eli. Tony Romo played quite a bit less, but most of his stats are better than Eli. Big Ben has better stats than Eli. Hell, Matthew Stafford beats him in things like completion %, yards per game, and rating.

Draft picks (players on the upswing supposedly) for one of the great head-cases in professional sports. And they will likely be in full blown re-building mode for 3-5 years.

With the Browns being the Browns...they could be some high draft picks too. LOL

That still doesn't explain giving Beckham a big contract months before trading him, causing so much dead money to affect the Giants' cap. And if the Giants are going to rebuild, why is Manning still there? The Giants management has made some very questionable calls in recent years.
True.

Better to have made the trade though than have kept OBJ in my opinion.
We will have to see how OBJ does in Cleveland and how the draft picks work out

Prediction: OBJ out of the league in 3 seasons.
Little chance of that

But receivers usually expire in their early 30s

He’s already lost a step and he’s a head case

Which stats are those, exactly? Just looking at modern QBs, his stats don't compare very favorably to players like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, or his brother. His stats are actually pretty comparable to someone like Donovan McNabb, with Eli coming out just ahead. Philip Rivers has better stats than Eli. Tony Romo played quite a bit less, but most of his stats are better than Eli. Big Ben has better stats than Eli. Hell, Matthew Stafford beats him in things like completion %, yards per game, and rating.
Total Yards, TDS, Completions
Eli is top eight

Behind Brady, Brees, Favre and his brother
Same as Ben and Rivers

More than Stafford, Rodgers, Romo and most old school QBs

Eli is top eight

Same as Ben and Rivers

Total yards is not as important as yards per game or yards per attempt. Even that is not that important if you are trying to compare modern QBs to those who played in earlier eras, as the passing game has changed a great deal over time.
Total TDs is not as important as TD % or TDs per game.
Completions is not as important as completion %.

Total numbers are stats which can look great if a player is around for a long time, but don't necessarily indicate anything about how the player performed. For example, while Stafford has fewer completions than Manning, he has a better completion %. Stafford has fewer yards, but more yards per game and just a bit higher yards per attempt. Manning has a just slightly better TD %, but a worse INT %. In many categories Stafford is better on a per-pass basis or per-game basis, and Matthew Stafford isn't even sniffing top 10 quarterbacks.

If longevity is how you judge a QB, Eli Manning is one of the greats. The only reason he has some stats better than players like Aaron Rodgers is that he's played longer, allowing him to amass higher totals. Rodgers has more yards per game, higher completion %, much higher TD %, much lower INT %, much higher rating. Even comparing the two as if they might be close to equals as QBs go is, frankly, ludicrous. :)

Manning is tied with Flacco for #42 all time in passer rating. He's #14 in interceptions. #15 in yards per game (pretty good actually). Tied for #85 in yards per attempt and #52 in adjusted yards per attempt. Tied for #40 in completion %. Tied for #48 in INT %. Tied for #68 in TD % (tied with Dan Fouts, actually).
NFL Passing Touchdown % Career Leaders | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Eli has not been a horrible QB by any means, but neither has he been elite, certainly he's not been a top 10 QB all time. I'd argue that he's had times in his career he wasn't even a top 10 QB playing that year.

Eli is top eight

Same as Ben and Rivers

Total yards is not as important as yards per game or yards per attempt. Even that is not that important if you are trying to compare modern QBs to those who played in earlier eras, as the passing game has changed a great deal over time.

Total numbers are stats which can look great if a player is around for a long time, but don't necessarily indicate anything about how the player performed. For example, while Stafford has fewer completions than Manning, he has a better completion %. Stafford has fewer yards, but more yards per game and just a bit higher yards per attempt. Manning has a just slightly better TD %, but a worse INT %. In many categories Stafford is better on a per-pass basis or per-game basis, and Matthew Stafford isn't even sniffing top 10 quarterbacks.

If longevity is how you judge a QB, Eli Manning is one of the greats. The only reason he has some stats better than players like Aaron Rodgers is that he's played longer, allowing him to amass higher totals. Rodgers has more yards per game, higher completion %, much higher TD %, much lower INT %, much higher rating. Even comparing the two as if they might be close to equals as QBs go is, frankly, ludicrous. :)

Manning is tied with Flacco for #42 all time in passer rating. He's #14 in interceptions. #15 in yards per game (pretty good actually). Tied for #85 in yards per attempt and #52 in adjusted yards per attempt. Tied for #40 in completion %. Tied for #48 in INT %. Tied for #68 in TD % (tied with Dan Fouts, actually).

Eli has not been a horrible QB by any means, but neither has he been elite, certainly he's not been a top 10 QB all time. I'd argue that he's had times in his career he wasn't even a top 10 QB playing that year.
Eli is a HOF QB

His career numbers and SB victories hold up to QBs of his era. He has been a clutch playoff QB beating the likes of Brady, Favre, Rodgers and Romo on the road

He has done something no QB will ever match
He beat an 18-0 team and a 15-1 team in the playoffs

Eli is top eight

Same as Ben and Rivers

Eli is a HOF QB

His career numbers and SB victories hold up to QBs of his era. He has been a clutch playoff QB beating the likes of Brady, Favre, Rodgers and Romo on the road

He'll probably get in, but I don't think Eli should be a HOF QB. His credentials are basically based on two playoff runs. There are 21 current QBs with a minimum of 1500 passing attempts that have a better rating than Eli. 21 with a better completion %. 22 with a better INT %. 12 with a better TD %.

If the Giants didn't win those Super Bowls, I doubt there would be many people who would consider Eli HOF material.

Eli is top eight

Same as Ben and Rivers

Eli is a HOF QB

He'll probably get in, but I don't think Eli should be a HOF QB. His credentials are basically based on two playoff runs. There are 21 current QBs with a minimum of 1500 passing attempts that have a better rating than Eli. 21 with a better completion %. 22 with a better INT %. 12 with a better TD %.

If the Giants didn't win those Super Bowls, I doubt there would be many people who would consider Eli HOF material.
Ever hear of Joe Namath?
He got in for a historic victory where he did not have a great game

Bart Starr too

Eli had a historic victory (two actually)

Eli is top eight

Same as Ben and Rivers

Eli is a HOF QB

Ever hear of Joe Namath?
He got in for a historic victory where he did not have a great game

Bart Starr too

Eli had a historic victory (two actually)

Namath never should have gotten into the Hall. He didn't deserve it IMO. On the other hand, Namath probably did a lot more to promote the NFL than Eli ever will.

Starr won 5 championships, a league MVP, had the best career completion % in the NFL when he retired, and has the best career postseason QB rating in history. Your comparison fails here. Eli is actually tied with his brother for 18th in postseason rating, just to put out a little trivia. :)

Browns are favorites to win the AFC North says ESPN. i say they're favorites to win the superbowl. This could be a first for the Browns! According to sportsoddshistory.com, Cleveland has never closed as AFC North favorites.

"Lebron is the person i look up to the most. to see what he did to bring a championship to Cleveland, i just want to do the same thing" - OBJ

Browns are favorites to win the AFC North says ESPN. i say they're favorites to win the superbowl. This could be a first for the Browns! According to sportsoddshistory.com, Cleveland has never closed as AFC North favorites.

Both Pittsburgh and Baltimore look weaker
Cleveland could win around eleven games and take AFC North

Once you are in the playoffs, it comes down to which team is the healthiest and playing the best football

The Browns did win the Superbowl, but they had moved to Baltimore by then

His career volume stats were. His efficiency stats, ypa, comp%, td and turnover rates etc were all at or below average which goes a long way to explaining his mediocre regular season record. His regular season was much like testaverde. Top 40 volume guy when he retired, had moments but not great. OBJ had made plays but I don't think Eli has been a better qb because of him.

And he had some great weapons. Sure they didnt have the longetivity to be Hof, but prime tiki, shockey, Cruz, Nicks, Burress, Bradshaw/Jacobs. Those guys at their best were as good as anyone. And then of course the consistency and play of that line. Snee, O'Hara, diehl, McKenzie. There's a LOT of QBs that wish they could have something like that for so long.

Giants never had an elite passing game. But they had some elite running ones.

Where Eli sets himself apart was those two playoff runs . 8 games away from home where he went up against some great teams and QBs and outplayed them. Two of the best playoff runs by a QB when it mattered most.

So yeah. Big volume avg career in reg season with the longetivity and health, added with those two special sb runs I think means HOF in my book. Not the elite HOFers. But in that 2nd tier sure.

His career volume stats were. His efficiency stats, ypa, comp%, td and turnover rates etc were all at or below average which goes a long way to explaining his mediocre regular season record. His regular season was much like testaverde. Top 40 volume guy when he retired, had moments but not great. OBJ had made plays but I don't think Eli has been a better qb because of him.

And he had some great weapons. Sure they didnt have the longetivity to be Hof, but prime tiki, shockey, Cruz, Nicks, Burress, Bradshaw/Jacobs. Those guys at their best were as good as anyone. And then of course the consistency and play of that line. Snee, O'Hara, diehl, McKenzie. There's a LOT of QBs that wish they could have something like that for so long.

Where Eli sets himself apart was those two playoff runs . 8 games away from home where he went up against some great teams and QBs and outplayed them. Two of the best playoff runs by a QB when it mattered most.

So yeah. Big volume avg career in reg season with the longetivity and health, added with those two special sb runs I think means HOF in my book. Not the elite HOFers. But in that 2nd tier sure.
Eli (and Tom Coughlin) defeated a 15-1 team in the playoffs and an 18-0 team in the Superbowl. No QB will ever beat that

Eli (and Tom Coughlin) defeated a 15-1 team in the playoffs and an 18-0 team in the Superbowl. No QB will ever beat that

Agree. His postseason runs were insane. That to me is what makes him a hofer right there. Rest of his career doesn't move the needle really for me.

He was a completely different guy there. And he'd show moments of it sure in the reg season. It's what made him fin to watch. You never knew what you'd get. He could destroy my team with 400 yards and 4 TDs. Or just as likely throw for 130 yards and 3ints.

And I mean that. Take out the 2 SB seasons and he's a sub .500 qb who's 0-4 in the postseason who's below average in the reg season, awful in the playoffs and his best thing about him is he doesn't get hurt. To me at least that's not Hof worthy.

But those two years when it mattered most he did the most.

Kinda like if Terrell Davis had another 6 seasons with 800 yards. Sure that moves him up the all time rushing list. But those years aren't why he's a hofer. He's a hofer because for 3 years he produced more than any rb ever, and it was the key to two championships. I'm good with being the best when it matters the most carrying that weight.

You can make the HOF for great reg season play. And I'm fine adding a LOT of weight for great postseason play that nets a ring. That's the one goal every player and coach has when the season starts.

Forum List

Back