Breaking: F18 and Tanker collide near Japan

Oh, wow-

Two US Marine jets have collided off the coast of Japan during refuelling, and search and rescue efforts are underway.

The crash was announced by the United States Marine Corps, which indicated that Japanese search and rescue jets responded immediately to the incident.

The incident involved an F/A-18 Hornet fighter jet made by McDonnell Douglass, and a KC-130, a refuelling plane with propellers made by Lockheed Martin.

"Search and rescue operations continue for US Marine aircraft that were involved in a mishap off of the coast of Japan around 2.00 am Dec 6," a Marine Corps news release said.

I hope they find more alive.

it's a credit to the military that they don't have more accidents
130s still be used

it's a credit to the military that they don't have more accidents
130s still be used
Yes especially under these circumstances. Mid air refueling just LOOKS dangerous. It seems unnatural to mate to aircraft together and refuel in mid air.

The fact that there are very few such accidents is a testament to the skill of military pilots.

The aircraft crashed around 2:00 a.m. local time, III MEF said.

Marine officials did not immediately disclose how many were on board each plane. CBS and ABC News, citing Marine Corps sources, reported there were five on board the KC-130 and two pilots on the Hornet.

Officials would not comment on the crew members' conditions, but later confirmed one person involved in the mishap was being evaluated by medical authorities at MCAS Iwakuni.
1 Rescued, 6 Missing After F/A-18 Fighter, Refueling Tanker Crash Off Japan
:crying:

I read up on the procedure for this. It's incredibly dangerous.

The near empty jet comes up behind the KC130 which is a propeller driven plane.

The jet has to slow down enough to remain behind the KC130.

During the process, the jet becomes heavier and the plane becomes lighter.

So the Jet has to put on more thrust to remain in the same spot relative to the plane because it becomes heavier

As the plane becomes lighter it may have to slow down to remain in the same spot relative to the jet.

And sometimes they do two jets at one time.....
You have 2 or 3 planes flying in close proximity to one another...you have atmospheric variables...you have jet fuel which I assume is combustible being transferred...I doubt it happens much but I would imagine there could be wildlife involved in the sky...

Apparently this was done at night???

I'm amazed that we have airmen that can ever do this much less do it so routinely.

Hope they're all found alive.

Forum List

Back