Breaking 6.4 Earthquake striks off Alaska following a series of smaller quakes

Something that I've been wondering about.......Washington also being along the Pacific Rim seems to have the least amount of activity and I'm not so sure that's a good thing.....?
Subduction zones lay dormant for decades, then those volcanoes come alive violently after plate movement.. Earthquakes followed by eruptions... Game on!

Game on??? You're nuts. Been thru 1965 earthquake @ 6.5 and Nisqually was 6.8, plus Mt St Helens. Those were only precursors to what has been long overdue here. Cali isn't the only place expecting 'The Big One' and when that happens, Mt Rainier could very well release the beast.

I guess we do have an average of over 2,000 quakes in any given year, but the greater majority of those are so small nobody notices.
When the plates move no one is safe.. Mt Rainier is on the northern tri-radiant of Yellowstone You can bet your ass that when that plate section subducts its going to be a mess for the whole world. Yellowstone erupts (major) about once every 600,000 years and we are now over due by about 50,000 years.

Last edited:
We had a 5.1 just a few miles down and away uhm Sunday I think it was. Was a really short slip, damned Castle fault I bet, it's been more active than usual the past number of years. (Castle is a fault that runs just north of Anchorage and the Valley)

Can see - Quaternary Faults and Folds | QFF | Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys for all the Alaska faults
and this - Earthquakes | Alaska Earthquake Center is our local quake report (useful cause you can sort out the meaningless sub 4s also if you click on the individual quakes, you get a popup link to a page that not only gives the "Did You Feel It" infos, but also details about the geology and such - I can spend hours on that damn site heh)

EDIT - it was Sat, 5.2 40miles deep - Event Page | Alaska Earthquake Center
Damn! I missed it, so did my cats, my dogs, and all the goats. Mustov been a BIG un!

Something that I've been wondering about.......Washington also being along the Pacific Rim seems to have the least amount of activity and I'm not so sure that's a good thing.....?
Subduction zones lay dormant for decades, then those volcanoes come alive violently after plate movement.. Earthquakes followed by eruptions... Game on!

Game on??? You're nuts. Been thru 1965 earthquake @ 6.5 and Nisqually was 6.8, plus Mt St Helens. Those were only precursors to what has been long overdue here. Cali isn't the only place expecting 'The Big One' and when that happens, Mt Rainier could very well release the beast.

I guess we do have an average of over 2,000 quakes in any given year, but the greater majority of those are so small nobody notices.
When the plates move no one is safe.. Mt Rainier is on the northern tri-radiant of Yellowstone You can bet your ass that when that plate section subducts its going to be a mess for the whole world. Yellowstone erupts (major) about once every 600,000 years and we are now over due by about 50,000 years.

Well thanks for the good news there Skippy.:poke:

I didn't realize that they were in anyway connected. Yep we're all toast then.

Sure it wasn't an underground nuke test? :idea:

What if:

All the California quakes were really underground Nuke tests?

:ack-1:

We had a 5.1 just a few miles down and away uhm Sunday I think it was. Was a really short slip, damned Castle fault I bet, it's been more active than usual the past number of years. (Castle is a fault that runs just north of Anchorage and the Valley)

Can see - Quaternary Faults and Folds | QFF | Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys for all the Alaska faults
and this - Earthquakes | Alaska Earthquake Center is our local quake report (useful cause you can sort out the meaningless sub 4s also if you click on the individual quakes, you get a popup link to a page that not only gives the "Did You Feel It" infos, but also details about the geology and such - I can spend hours on that damn site heh)

Damn! I missed it, so did my cats, my dogs, and all the goats. Mustov been a BIG un!

It was one of them 1sec deals heh

Volcano quakes
I'm not sure to what you refer. If it is to tremors in volcanoes, they are quite local.

Yeah, are you not close enough? I guess it's just different geology or they travel better up here, every time one of our volcano's gets mouthy we get a swarm of little tiny quakes that waffles out along most of the faults. I don't personally count them as quakes cause I'm far enough away from the volcano's that JBER's bomb testing shakes the house worse heh
But they are just little rumbles that mean nothing. I recall one last year that we watched ripple across the tarmac at the airport, after the lights went out in the terminal. Have you ever been on a jumbo jet when one of those babies rolls through the neighborhood? I've seen the landing gear hopping about like cats on a hotplate.

It was one of them 1sec deals heh
You in Alaska? That will make three of us who own up to it. Airplanemechanic is also "one of us".

Volcano quakes
I'm not sure to what you refer. If it is to tremors in volcanoes, they are quite local.

Yeah, are you not close enough? I guess it's just different geology or they travel better up here, every time one of our volcano's gets mouthy we get a swarm of little tiny quakes that waffles out along most of the faults. I don't personally count them as quakes cause I'm far enough away from the volcano's that JBER's bomb testing shakes the house worse heh
But they are just little rumbles that mean nothing. I recall one last year that we watched ripple across the tarmac at the airport, after the lights went out in the terminal. Have you ever been on a jumbo jet when one of those babies rolls through the neighborhood? I've seen the landing gear hopping about like cats on a hotplate.

I have seen a big one shake the lights on NB Glen Hwy. I was up on Skyline taking night pictures when it rolled through. I couldn't decide if the odd light pattern was more disconcerting than the sound of the fucking woods around me - holy crap... You wanna scare yourself have earthquake in the woods. You lose all your self-awareness and shit yourself, I thought a bear was for sure going to get me in my moment of weakness lol

And yep, I'm in Eagle River.

A large earthquake struck off Alaska on Monday morning, but it was not strong enough to generate a tsunami threat for Hawaii, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said. The quake, which measured at an initial magnitude of 6.6, was located

BREAKING NEWS: 6.4 Earthquake Strikes Off Alaska Following Series of Smaller Quakes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View attachment 125653

4 earthquakes hit Alaska in less than 48 hours
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luddey, now remember honey just click that little link that says read more, and the magic can happen for you and if you are really a good little whatever, maybe mommy can give you a little smiley sticker.
Liberals will hope that Sarah Palin and her family dies. That's how the operate.

Volcano quakes

I have seen a big one shake the lights on NB Glen Hwy. I was up on Skyline taking night pictures when it rolled through. I couldn't decide if the odd light pattern was more disconcerting than the sound of the fucking woods around me - holy crap... You wanna scare yourself have earthquake in the woods. You lose all your self-awareness and shit yourself, I thought a bear was for sure going to get me in my moment of weakness lol

And yep, I'm in Eagle River.
I recall a time when on an Army sponsored "camping trip" when a quake rolled through. Lying on the ground makes it really up close and personal. I'm in Birchwood, in transit to Willow.

sssshhhhhh.......don't jinx it. Washington is long overdue for a big one. The last one was in 2001, Nisqually quake @ 6.8 USGS keeps promising the BIG one, but have so far dodged that bullet

It's God's way of punishing the liberals in Washington State. It's the only answer that makes sense.

sssshhhhhh.......don't jinx it. Washington is long overdue for a big one. The last one was in 2001, Nisqually quake @ 6.8 USGS keeps promising the BIG one, but have so far dodged that bullet

It's God's way of punishing the liberals in Washington State. It's the only answer that makes sense.
But, Alaska is a pretty solidly "red" state? Do we deserve punishment?

A large earthquake struck off Alaska on Monday morning, but it was not strong enough to generate a tsunami threat for Hawaii, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said. The quake, which measured at an initial magnitude of 6.6, was located

BREAKING NEWS: 6.4 Earthquake Strikes Off Alaska Following Series of Smaller Quakes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View attachment 125653

4 earthquakes hit Alaska in less than 48 hours
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luddey, now remember honey just click that little link that says read more, and the magic can happen for you and if you are really a good little whatever, maybe mommy can give you a little smiley sticker.
Liberals will hope that Sarah Palin and her family dies. That's how the operate.

And conservative men will hope it rips her clothes off as she gives a press conference.

Forum List

Back