8.2 Earthquake Off the Coast of Alaska; Tsunami Warnings Issued

I think the 1964 earthquake was so devastating because it really caused a lot of ground activity and that drove the highly localized killer tsunamis. There was a lot of shoreline that walked into the ocean and I lot of vertical movement in the ground

Thankfully no damage done from the earthquake alone, at least so it looks now. However, it was a huge one and so Tsunami Warnings now issued for Alaska and the west coast on guard. As you see here, Tsunami Watches are far away as Hawaii.

Saw the morning news. The Tsunami Warning has since been cancelled. Goddamn scary.

I think the 1964 earthquake was so devastating because it really caused a lot of ground activity and that drove the highly localized killer tsunamis. There was a lot of shoreline that walked into the ocean and I lot of vertical movement in the ground
I remember that quake (was a kid)...been to Anchorage since then to the museum, downtown street level dropped the equivalent of a building floor.

Thankfully no damage done from the earthquake alone, at least so it looks now. However, it was a huge one and so Tsunami Warnings now issued for Alaska and the west coast on guard. As you see here, Tsunami Watches are far away as Hawaii.

It was 32 kilometers down. No tsunami from that one. I'll be watching the aftershock pattern though.

Could get interesting.

I remember that quake (was a kid)...been to Anchorage since then to the museum, downtown street level dropped the equivalent of a building floor.

Was that the quake where numerous cinder blocks hit yer' head and made you the person that you are today? :desk:

It was 32 kilometers down. No tsunami from that one. I'll be watching the aftershock pattern though.

Could get interesting.
Yeah...it seems to me a lot of activity on the west coast. But then, that's probably "obvious things are obvious", like a lot of snowstorms in the northeast or something

Well before my time but it seems to me I read or heard somewhere in one town, one section dropped like 30 some feet and another raised up almost 100 feet. It is really amazing that more people didn't die TBH.

Forum List

Back