Breaking 6.4 Earthquake striks off Alaska following a series of smaller quakes

MindWars

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2016
A large earthquake struck off Alaska on Monday morning, but it was not strong enough to generate a tsunami threat for Hawaii, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said. The quake, which measured at an initial magnitude of 6.6, was located

BREAKING NEWS: 6.4 Earthquake Strikes Off Alaska Following Series of Smaller Quakes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
upload_2017-5-8_20-33-2.png

4 earthquakes hit Alaska in less than 48 hours
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mod Edit -- Don't call out members by names in any opening post outside of the Taunting Forums. MindWars

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of little quakes today all up and down the pacific plate lines. Looks like something is really bound up and lots of twisting wave stress is moving up and down the fault lines.

Several areas are way over due for a 6-8 mag quake... Hmmmmm

sssshhhhhh.......don't jinx it. Washington is long overdue for a big one. The last one was in 2001, Nisqually quake @ 6.8 USGS keeps promising the BIG one, but have so far dodged that bullet

A large earthquake struck off Alaska on Monday morning, but it was not strong enough to generate a tsunami threat for Hawaii, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said. The quake, which measured at an initial magnitude of 6.6, was located

BREAKING NEWS: 6.4 Earthquake Strikes Off Alaska Following Series of Smaller Quakes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View attachment 125653

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luddey, now remember honey just click that little link that says read more, and the magic can happen for you and if you are really a good little whatever, maybe mommy can give you a little smiley sticker.

Fake news it came from a right leaning web site..

This should go to the conspiracy forum

Oh wait it really did happen..

• Banned

View attachment 125653

Luddey, now remember honey just click that little link that says read more, and the magic can happen for you and if you are really a good little whatever, maybe mommy can give you a little smiley sticker.

LMFAO, I know right.

View attachment 125653

:smartass:

sssshhhhhh.......don't jinx it. Washington is long overdue for a big one. The last one was in 2001, Nisqually quake @ 6.8 USGS keeps promising the BIG one, but have so far dodged that bullet

Mt. Rainier is a huge volcano and it is bound to blow one of these days and when it does, Seattle is toast.

We had a 5.1 just a few miles down and away uhm Sunday I think it was. Was a really short slip, damned Castle fault I bet, it's been more active than usual the past number of years. (Castle is a fault that runs just north of Anchorage and the Valley)

Can see - Quaternary Faults and Folds | QFF | Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys for all the Alaska faults
and this - Earthquakes | Alaska Earthquake Center is our local quake report (useful cause you can sort out the meaningless sub 4s also if you click on the individual quakes, you get a popup link to a page that not only gives the "Did You Feel It" infos, but also details about the geology and such - I can spend hours on that damn site heh)

EDIT - it was Sat, 5.2 40miles deep - Event Page | Alaska Earthquake Center

View attachment 125653

I just had a thought Bear RUSSIA made you say that LOL..

Mt. Rainier is a huge volcano and it is bound to blow one of these days and when it does, Seattle is toast.

Yes, I know......all too well and not just Seattle, but pretty much everything within 100 miles, or more and probably both sides of the Cascade Range. Mt St Helens was a picnic in comparison to what Rainier could do. IF it were to ever blow.....as been said for many years......first would come the Lahars...the heat from within the mountain would melt all that glacier ice & snow that would wipe out millions that live in their paths....then any volcanic action would come after that. Two-thirds of the whole state could be effected.

We had a 5.1 just a few miles down and away uhm Sunday I think it was. Was a really short slip, damned Castle fault I bet, it's been more active than usual the past number of years. (Castle is a fault that runs just north of Anchorage and the Valley)

Can see - Quaternary Faults and Folds | QFF | Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys for all the Alaska faults
and this - Earthquakes | Alaska Earthquake Center is our local quake report (useful cause you can sort out the meaningless sub 4s also if you click on the individual quakes, you get a popup link to a page that not only gives the "Did You Feel It" infos, but also details about the geology and such - I can spend hours on that damn site heh)

EDIT - it was Sat, 5.2 40miles deep - Event Page | Alaska Earthquake Center

Did you happen to notice the one in Japan too. 6.0 above I posted it but it was so close to the image not sure if that part was noticed or not.

Oh, after looking at the map there, it's just Mt. Gareloi... Well not to burst the bubble here, that kind of plate boundary does make some of the biggest quakes ever, but it's also known for these "large mag swarms" so it's actually nothing new heh

"Another notable source of seismicity in the arc are the intermediate depth earthquakes within the subducting Pacific Plate, known as the Wadati-Benioff zone. The largest recorded earthquake of this kind was the 2014 M7.9 Little Sitkin event. Shallow earthquakes associated with volcano processes and crustal faults within the overriding North American plate occur regularly and may produce vigorous aftershock or swarm-like sequences."

Something that I've been wondering about.......Washington also being along the Pacific Rim seems to have the least amount of activity and I'm not so sure that's a good thing.....?

If you guys go to the map I gave, if you scroll down you can see Charts for a crap load of stuff.

Upd. When Date (UTC) Event Country Location Level Details
0 1 hours ago. May 09 2017 03:44 AM Epidemic Hazard Democratic Republic of the Congo [Province-wide] Province of Likouala
level-0.gif

0 1 hours ago. May 09 2017 03:42 AM Biological Hazard

upload_2017-5-8_22-34-41.png

Something that I've been wondering about.......Washington also being along the Pacific Rim seems to have the least amount of activity and I'm not so sure that's a good thing.....?

False assumption :) There's just a separate fault in the ocean that takes the brunt for Washington. - M 2.8 - 50km WSW of Ferndale, California

I appreciate that, but I dunno.........reminds me of kids & dogs being too quiet for too long......nothing but trouble a brewing.

False assumption :) There's just a separate fault in the ocean that takes the brunt for Washington. - M 2.8 - 50km WSW of Ferndale, California

I appreciate that, but I dunno.........reminds me of kids & dogs being too quiet for too long......nothing but trouble a brewing.

Bah stupid thing sent before I was done... one sec.

Naw, it's just the directional drift of the Pacific Plate that causes the pressure to be more focused to the northwest rather than the east (into WA) ( See https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bf/Tectonic_plates_boundaries_detailed-en.svg )

Basically that broken off chunk is kind of stuck there, but the PA plate isn't moving north or west enough to really press it under the lower 48, so basically the PA plate slides along relatively unimpeded - the weakest spot is where it gives out.

I wouldn't doubt that in time the San Andres will spit off another "chunk" just like that 'basin' as they call it that's off the WA coast, then you'll start getting quakes in WA as CA's splinter heads north to Alaska and gets caught up on that southern line.

Alaska and Japan get rocked constantly because the PA plate has nowhere else to go but /under/ us. My CA refugee says he loves it up here (he's a geologist) and down there you don't really /feel/ the quakes. Up here (where we live) we're kind of sitting on basically the front of a surf board so we get to feel the whole "wave" as it goes by, distinctive up and down or sideways motions - a lot of the time you can even tell which direction the quake came from heh

I hate earthquakes...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back