Boycott the ACA

anyone who boycotts the ACA should be put on a list of people who will be refused healthcare if they get injured/sick and show up at the Emergency Room without insurance.

So what is your position on the use of ERs by people who are in this country illegally?

anyone who boycotts the ACA should be put on a list of people who will be refused healthcare if they get injured/sick and show up at the Emergency Room without insurance.

So what is your position on the use of ERs by people who are in this country illegally?

Ronald Reagan signed a law stating that NO ONE can be denied treatment at an emergency room.

But, folks who have been injured/sick and show up at the ER without insurance have always been provided for.... that is before ACA.

But, folks who have been injured/sick and show up at the ER without insurance have always been provided for.... that is before ACA.

I know. Just wondering why someone wants to penalize ACA-protestors in ways I suspect they wouldn't want to penalize outright lawbreakers. :dunno:

That's right... boycott.

Until February 15, 2014.

...Feb. 15, 2014. That's the last day you can get coverage and avoid being liable for a penalty for not having insurance.

So What's The Real Deadline For Obamacare Sign-Up? : Shots - Health News : NPR

And there you have it. You're not breaking any laws... you can't be fined...

... just wait it out. Until February 15, 2014.

And you can get coverage... on February 15, 2014. Tens of millions of individuals getting coverage on the same day, by law, and without penalty.

On that one single day.

Unfortunately this won't work. They tied it to tax withholding to effectively nullify any kind of meaningful resistance. They'll systematically close up any holes we find, and then start turning the screws on the penalties, until eventually they're putting scofflaws in jail - just like they did with auto liability insurance.

Civil disobedience is worth a shot, but I suspect it will require a more forceful effort to reject the will of the understand lobby.

That's right... boycott.

Until February 15, 2014.

...Feb. 15, 2014. That's the last day you can get coverage and avoid being liable for a penalty for not having insurance.

And you can get coverage... on February 15, 2014. Tens of millions of individuals getting coverage on the same day, by law, and without penalty.

On that one single day.

Unfortunately this won't work. They tied it to tax withholding to effectively nullify any kind of meaningful resistance. They'll systematically close up any holes we find, and then start turning the screws on the penalties, until eventually they're putting scofflaws in jail - just like they did with auto liability insurance.

Civil disobedience is worth a shot, but I suspect it will require a more forceful effort to reject the will of the understand lobby.

There you have it. Every single person who is required to have coverage may log on to healthcare.org on Feb. 15, 2014 and get coverage. And that is the exact date that every individual who is required to have coverage SHOULD log on... for coverage.

Obama will quietly instruct the IRS to take no action until after the elections. Count on it.

Indeed. They'll soft peddle it for a few years, again, just like they did with the auto-insurance push. They'll wait till everyone gets used to it and then start ratcheting things down.

That's right... boycott.

Until February 15, 2014.

On that one single day.

There you have it. Every single person who is required to have coverage may log on to healthcare.org on Feb. 15, 2014 and get coverage. And that is the exact date that every individual who is required to have coverage SHOULD log on... for coverage.

I hear you. And if I was one of the unfortunate souls getting the short end of this stick, I'd do just that. But it's a relatively small group. Most people either already have insurance through employers, or will be getting subsidized. Like all these kinds of schemes, the scapegoats will have very little ability to resist.

Young, independent contractor types are the targets here - the very people our government has the hardest time controlling. Coincidence?

Obama will quietly instruct the IRS to take no action until after the elections. Count on it.

They won't be owed until we pay our 2014 taxes, right?

So convenient how Obama waited until 2012 to let people see the costs, and until after 2014 to start fining people.

When do the fines kick in? Will they be owed in 2013 taxes? Or not until 2014 anyway?

Good question. If the law says you have to have it by a certain date and you don't, I guess they could fine you right then, or at least when you file and don't show proof of insurance.

I am just guessing right now. I will have to check.

When do the fines kick in? Will they be owed in 2013 taxes? Or not until you pay your 2014 taxes?

It's a "fee", not a "fine". Fine sounds too much like tax, doesn't it?

The fee in 2014 is 1% of your yearly income or $95 per person for the year, whichever is higher. The fee increases every year. In 2016 it is 2.5% of income or $695 per person, whichever is higher.

https://www.healthcare.gov/what-if-someone-doesnt-have-health-coverage-in-2014/

My take is that it would effect your 2014 return.

I know. Just wondering why someone wants to penalize ACA-protestors in ways I suspect they wouldn't want to penalize outright lawbreakers. :dunno:

Who is breaking the law?

Yep and, like the posters here, they don't want to lose their free ride.

Addendum to above.

Uninsured next year? Here's your Obamacare penalty. - Aug. 13, 2013

This reads like the calculation is complicated enough (prorating for part of year covered etc..) that the fine for the 2014 tax year would be assessed with the return filled in April 2015. If this is true, they are going to give people the good news after the elections anyway.

Yes I stand corrected. That makes more sense.

I was amending my own inaccurate post, not correcting yours. In any case, looks like no one will have to pay the fine/penalty/tax until after the election. Which does bring up a point. If I sign up using Healthcare.gov today, and the system makes a mistake, I might not find out about it until May 2015 when the IRS tells me I was not insured for 2014.

This has Charlie Foxtrot written all over it.

Addendum to above.

Uninsured next year? Here's your Obamacare penalty. - Aug. 13, 2013

This reads like the calculation is complicated enough (prorating for part of year covered etc..) that the fine for the 2014 tax year would be assessed with the return filled in April 2015. If this is true, they are going to give people the good news after the elections anyway.

I was amending my own inaccurate post, not correcting yours. In any case, looks like no one will have to pay the fine/penalty/tax until after the election. Which does bring up a point. If I sign up using Healthcare.gov today, and the system makes a mistake, I might not find out about it until May 2015 when the IRS tells me I was not insured for 2014.

The Dems call it a 'shared responsibility payment'.

:9:

The Dems call it a 'shared responsibility payment'.

:9:

Progressives easily rationalize theft. It is second nature to them. Probably chiseled into their DNA.

Forum List

Back