Boy Scouts helped alleged molesters cover tracks, files show. A paper trail of abuse.

CausingPAIN

Rookie
Jan 26, 2012
I'm not sure? Can you help?
Boy Scouts helped alleged molesters cover tracks, files show. A paper trail of abuse.

Since at least 1919, the Boy Scouts of America has maintained “ineligible volunteer” files intended to keep sexual abusers, among others, out of its ranks. The records have been closely held by the Scouts, which contends that confid*entiality is essential to protect victims, witnesses and anyone falsely accused.
The Times reviewed about 1,600 of the files dating from 1970 to 1991. In hundreds of cases, sexual abuse was not reported to law enforcement, and Scout officials at times actively hid it from parents and the public. In at least 50 cases, the Boy Scouts expelled men for alleged sexual abuse, only to discover later that they had reentered the Scouts and were again accused of molesting.

Here are files from some of those cases. The Times has redacted victims’ names and other identifying information. Some files in*clude explicit accounts of sexual abuse.

Read more:

15 filled out reports of wonderful people doing the best for children and parents..
A paper trail of abuse - Documents - Los Angeles Times

BSA in America.
Best Sodomized Ass.. Contest!

No the Boy Scouts called them ineligible volunteers and threw the gays out of the Scouts. We don't know exactly why. It may not have been a cover up of raping little boys, but maybe some touching, or a leer here and there. Or, maybe it was a gay scoutmaster approaching another adult scoutmaster. They were declared ineligible and dismissed. Which is what gays have been saying all along! They are trying to concoct some scenario wherein the Boy Scouts have had gay child molesters in the Scouts all along so throwing them out is brand new. As these records show, they've been thrown out for decades.

Yes their own records show how many years they have been throwing gays out of the Scouts. It might be impossible to keep them from joining, but as soon as they are identified they are expelled as ineligible.

dear idiot these are NOT gays they are child molestors.

they didnt report them to the police

Suppose they didn't break any laws? Whatever conduct it was didn't meet the criteria of a crime. These are records of ineligible volunteers not those dismissed for criminal activity. Ineligible doesn't automatically mean criminal.

just like the chatholic church
Or the Public School System, or Child Protective Services.

Any organization that has kids in it will attract child molesters.

They gravitate there because there are kids there, just like people rob banks because that’s where the money is.

Also any organization when faced with some external threat, like an investigation into child molesters by people working with kids will first and foremost work to protect the organization and not the kids. That is just human nature.

When I was involved with Scouting, we rejected several potential leaders because we simply did not feel comfortable with them. All leaders accepted were monitored closely for their first couple of years and all Scouting events were made to be group activities. This was as much for the leader’s protection as it was for the kid’s protection.

We had hard and fast rules that for camping bed checks, two leaders would work together and we mixed up the pairings as well.

Suppose they didn't break any laws? Whatever conduct it was didn't meet the criteria of a crime. These are records of ineligible volunteers not those dismissed for criminal activity. Ineligible doesn't automatically mean criminal.

Katz...I know this shouldn't be necessary but nonetheless when dealing with Truthy it's best to use small words and type very slowly so she's at least got a bit of a chance.

Katz...I know this shouldn't be necessary but nonetheless when dealing with Truthy it's best to use small words and type very slowly so she's at least got a bit of a chance.

I know. But sometimes I just feel sorry for the poor thing.

I know. But sometimes I just feel sorry for the poor thing.

All this does not matter. Police do investigations all the time and say "no comment". Many, many, many investagations happen and other than the involved knowing, and just rumors witch the kids will here anyhow.

It depends on what kind of complaint is filed. If a scoutmaster says "I saw Bob looking funny at a ten year old" that's not a crime. But may just be enough to be considered ineligible.

The Times reviewed about 1,600 of the files dating from 1970 to 1991. In hundreds of cases, sexual abuse was not reported to law enforcement,

These cases are 20-40 years old

How are they relevant to todays scouts?

Last edited:

Since at least 1919, the Boy Scouts of America has maintained “ineligible volunteer” files intended to keep sexual abusers, among others, out of its ranks. The records have been closely held by the Scouts, which contends that confid*entiality is essential to protect victims, witnesses and anyone falsely accused.
The Times reviewed about 1,600 of the files dating from 1970 to 1991. In hundreds of cases, sexual abuse was not reported to law enforcement, and Scout officials at times actively hid it from parents and the public. In at least 50 cases, the Boy Scouts expelled men for alleged sexual abuse, only to discover later that they had reentered the Scouts and were again accused of molesting.

Here are files from some of those cases. The Times has redacted victims’ names and other identifying information. Some files in*clude explicit accounts of sexual abuse.

Read more:

15 filled out reports of wonderful people doing the best for children and parents..

BSA in America.
A strong case for not letting fruit loops join the scouts............

Read more:

BSA in America.
A strong case for not letting fruit loops join the scouts............

or rats

I've been a Scout leader for 9 years now and can assure you the BSA takes youth protection extremely serious. I know because of the required training I have to go thru on a repeated basis, the back ground check I've had to go thru and cases that I've personally been involved in reporting. All I will have to say on this thread is that you folks outside of scouting are not dealing with all the current day facts. Do carry on with your agenda though.

I'm certain some did not get arrested if there was any doubt about the truth of claims, but having been council staff back in the mid 80's, I can assure you that any adult leader found to be abusing kids was tossed and information turned over to authorities. In one case, a Scoutmaster was found to be molesting kids in Bridgeport CT. He was tossed and arrested. He got a 7 to ten and I took over as Scoutmaster.
The publicity destroyed the troop and I could only keep it together for 1 more year. A lot of kids were deprived of the Scouting experience.
I'd much rather see that offenders disappear and be buried in a swamp, than have publicity deprive kids of the experience of Scouting.

I'm certain some did not get arrested if there was any doubt about the truth of claims, but having been council staff back in the mid 80's, I can assure you that any adult leader found to be abusing kids was tossed and information turned over to authorities. In one case, a Scoutmaster was found to be molesting kids in Bridgeport CT. He was tossed and arrested. He got a 7 to ten and I took over as Scoutmaster.
The publicity destroyed the troop and I could only keep it together for 1 more year. A lot of kids were deprived of the Scouting experience.
I'd much rather see that offenders disappear and be buried in a swamp, than have publicity deprive kids of the experience of Scouting.

So the parents overreacted and did not want their kids to participate in boy scouts. It's not the end of the world, hopefully they had many other opportunities of activities. Based on the actions of one individual, that went to jail. I say the individual parent deprive them of an experience. So notifying them and allowing them to participate in their children's safety, is an overreaction on their part. A very good friend of mine was an scoutmaster and also made eagle too. He's super pissed still. Yes, I would think the rational thing to do is to question and form a new troop, but a little pain and suffering is the order of the day so corrections can be addressed.

Forum List

Back