Both sides won’t like my take on policing.

sakinago

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2012
The issues we see today are NOT a race problem. They are a policing problem. Yes there IS a policing problem. I’ve been on this train long before Micheal Brown made it in the news. The stats simply don’t point to it being a race problem. Now, stick with me black folk. YES more black people per capita are killed by police than white people, despite only making up 13% of the population. What you have to take into account is the amount of police interactions each race is having. Around 20% of black men are felons. The number for whites is much lower. Not an indictment of race, has more to do with social status than anything. Low income white neighborhoods are basically indistinguishable from low income black neighborhoods, outside of the drugs used and choice of music. To become a felon means some sort of interaction with law enforcement. If you want to debate why that is, take it up in a different thread. Point of this is that when amount of police interaction are taken into consideration, whites are killed more often than blacks. Blacks on the other hand are the ones feeling the effects more so than whites in general.

Let’s use philando Castile as a case study. Yes he’s black, but there’s also a similar case of the white kid in Nevada sobbing on his knees begging the police not to shoot him, reaches to pull his pants up (that he already stated we’re falling down) and gets smoked. I digress. Philandos case recap: he’s pulled over, correctly tells the officer that he is carrying, and that he has his carrier permit. Officer tells him not to reach, Philando says something to the effect of I’m just grabbing my wallet, and then gets smoked. Officers in both cases were found to be completely within their rights to shoot. There lies your problem. Both officers were wrong to do so. But both officers were trained to do so. It’s ridiculous to me that police have a lower standard of use of lethal force than our soldiers do in literal war zones. Movies like lethal weapon have cops in gunfights on a daily basis. Policing overall is a fairly safe job. More dangerous than most, but other jobs like construction and garbage collection are more dangerous. Truth is that far more cops die when they’re hit by a car after pulling someone over than the apocalypse scenario they keep citing of getting shot by the driver they just pulled over. Yes that still happens, it’s tragic, but also extremely rare. Truth is what’s really killing cops is traffic accidents and diabetes (they are among the most overweight professions out there). Yet the amount of SWAT teams being created, tactical weaponry and vehicles being issued, and the no knock warrants has been exploding. This explosion was happening despite the already quickly declining crime rates.

So, what are solutions. Obviously there needs to be training reform. SOME departments are trained that if you draw your weapon, that is more often than not a failure because the police in the situation failed to de-escalate the situation. Most of the people they’re smoking are people with mental disabilities. Plenty are violent criminals, yes. Now I want cops to be armed and have every ability to defend themselves. But I also want there to be clear rules for use of lethal force. Clear rules for how they detain and subdue someone. We also need to get rid of police unions. Anytime a public sector union negotiates, THEY ARE NEGOTIATING AGAINST THE PUBLIC TAXPAYER. That goes for the rules they advocate, as well as the money they get. Some examples of some of those rules. The biggest is the Law Enforcement Bill of Rights (LEBOR). Basically many states have the LEBOR that’s states that police have to be treated with kid gloves when being investigated. This is immoral. Plain and simple. They have one system of justice, we have another. Another one that’s been mentioned a lot, that concerns me less, is the qualified immunity, which deals with civil suits. Still bullshit though.

The issues we see today are NOT a race problem. They are a policing problem. Yes there IS a policing problem. I’ve been on this train long before Micheal Brown made it in the news. The stats simply don’t point to it being a race problem. Now, stick with me black folk. YES more black people per capita are killed by police than white people, despite only making up 13% of the population. What you have to take into account is the amount of police interactions each race is having. Around 20% of black men are felons. The number for whites is much lower. Not an indictment of race, has more to do with social status than anything. Low income white neighborhoods are basically indistinguishable from low income black neighborhoods, outside of the drugs used and choice of music. To become a felon means some sort of interaction with law enforcement. If you want to debate why that is, take it up in a different thread. Point of this is that when amount of police interaction are taken into consideration, whites are killed more often than blacks. Blacks on the other hand are the ones feeling the effects more so than whites in general.

Let’s use philando Castile as a case study. Yes he’s black, but there’s also a similar case of the white kid in Nevada sobbing on his knees begging the police not to shoot him, reaches to pull his pants up (that he already stated we’re falling down) and gets smoked. I digress. Philandos case recap: he’s pulled over, correctly tells the officer that he is carrying, and that he has his carrier permit. Officer tells him not to reach, Philando says something to the effect of I’m just grabbing my wallet, and then gets smoked. Officers in both cases were found to be completely within their rights to shoot. There lies your problem. Both officers were wrong to do so. But both officers were trained to do so. It’s ridiculous to me that police have a lower standard of use of lethal force than our soldiers do in literal war zones. Movies like lethal weapon have cops in gunfights on a daily basis. Policing overall is a fairly safe job. More dangerous than most, but other jobs like construction and garbage collection are more dangerous. Truth is that far more cops die when they’re hit by a car after pulling someone over than the apocalypse scenario they keep citing of getting shot by the driver they just pulled over. Yes that still happens, it’s tragic, but also extremely rare. Truth is what’s really killing cops is traffic accidents and diabetes (they are among the most overweight professions out there). Yet the amount of SWAT teams being created, tactical weaponry and vehicles being issued, and the no knock warrants has been exploding. This explosion was happening despite the already quickly declining crime rates.

So, what are solutions. Obviously there needs to be training reform. SOME departments are trained that if you draw your weapon, that is more often than not a failure because the police in the situation failed to de-escalate the situation. Most of the people they’re smoking are people with mental disabilities. Plenty are violent criminals, yes. Now I want cops to be armed and have every ability to defend themselves. But I also want there to be clear rules for use of lethal force. Clear rules for how they detain and subdue someone. We also need to get rid of police unions. Anytime a public sector union negotiates, THEY ARE NEGOTIATING AGAINST THE PUBLIC TAXPAYER. That goes for the rules they advocate, as well as the money they get. Some examples of some of those rules. The biggest is the Law Enforcement Bill of Rights (LEBOR). Basically many states have the LEBOR that’s states that police have to be treated with kid gloves when being investigated. This is immoral. Plain and simple. They have one system of justice, we have another. Another one that’s been mentioned a lot, that concerns me less, is the qualified immunity, which deals with civil suits. Still bullshit though.

TRUE STORIES!

back in the 1980s

2 incidents

only vaguely remember ....short on "details"

1. women is being violently abused and attacked by her exhusband/exboyfriend (repeatedly)

she gets a gun and shoots him (as he starts to attack her again)

4 shots.

kills him

she is arrested and told "one shot was enough! one shot was self defense!....the other 3 were murder!"

gets convicted, goes to prison

2. at around the same time somebody (black? white?) was shot dead by MULTIPLE COPS with 14 bullets!

nobody tells the cops; "one bullet was enough"...."the other 13 were murder"

Weak and frightened politicians afraid of the next election must take on more responsibility over the mentally challenged and the criminally insane...they must reform old policies dealing with homelessness...but I fear this whole thing will cause them to pull even further away from their responsibility as elected officials...it will cause them to bend to the mob rather than what is truly needed...which is a good dose of tough love....build and fund more hospitals and out patient services as well as drug and alcohol treatment and counseling programs....

Give the beat cop a break.....let them just be cops and not care takers for mental patients and drug addicts.....

OP, who was "Stop & Frisk" targetted to?

Which poor communities you think are policed more, white or black ones?

Answer those if you don't mind.

Another big problem with cops is that they've been turned into defacto revenuers.....the national lowering of the BAC to .08, which is absurd, has served as nothing more than a big cash grab, so states and municipalities can float their bloated bureaucracies without raising taxes.

Yes. We need to focus on the ACTUAL problem. That is police brutality. Not race.
Police brutality comes in all shapes, sizes and colors.
I've never been "brutalized" by the police. But then again, except for two speeding infractions I've never broken any laws.

Yes. We need to focus on the ACTUAL problem. That is police brutality. Not race.
I've never been "brutalized" by the police. But then again, except for two speeding infractions I've never broken any laws.

"I've never been "brutalized" by the police. But then again, except for two speeding infractions I've never broken any laws."

are you white?

do you accept/admit that SOME people are "brutalized" by the police?

do you not care as long as it doesn't happen to you?

are you fine with cops SWEARING to "Serve and protect" and then just killing people in the streets?

is that ok with you as long it doesn't happen to you?

Another big problem with cops is that they've been turned into defacto revenuers.....the national lowering of the BAC to .08, which is absurd, has served as nothing more than a big cash grab, so states and municipalities can float their bloated bureaucracies without raising taxes.
Seems like a big problem;

CDC has no credibility whatsoever.

Stop and frisk was actually working to bring down violent crime.
The police patrol where the crime is.
Can you describe in your own words what the "Stop and Frisk" policy was?

you-keep-using-that-word-meme.jpg

"I've never been "brutalized" by the police. But then again, except for two speeding infractions I've never broken any laws."

are you white?

do you accept/admit that SOME people are "brutalized" by the police?

do you not care as long as it doesn't happen to you?

are you fine with cops SWEARING to "Serve and protect" and then just killing people in the streets?

is that ok with you as long it doesn't happen to you?
I'm not a criminal.

I can agree with a lot of what you said but I didnt see the need to go off on a tangent on how cops die. Thats totally irrelevant to the discussion.

There is so much more then that. All abuses from recent decades must be included in this reform package. Or there will be people who have not had justice with lingering thoughts of those abuses and what can go with it from some. All police/corrections/judicial fiefdoms members that were involved need to have justice imposed on them with financial rewards to the citizens abused by their egos and power. That includes the fiefdom using the private businesses also to mess with any citizen.

Stop and frisk was actually working to bring down violent crime.
The police patrol where the crime is.
Can you describe in your own words what the "Stop and Frisk" policy was?

you-keep-using-that-word-meme.jpg

It pretty much speaks for itself.
You can be stopped and frisked at anytime.
While that may seem like a gross violation of civil rights it did work.

Stop and frisk was used for everyone. In practice I have no doubt it was used on blacks more than whites. I think 70% of it was used on black and Latinos while they only make up around 50% of NY. However, that was also done in high crime areas, which also happens to be where many black and Latinos live. It was a unconstitutional policy, and I don’t give a shit what the SC had to say about it. Complete violation of the 4th amendment. Abolish stop and frisk.

And I’m sure poor white communities get policed less on average. Poor white communities are usually found in more rural towns where some sort of factory or mine has been shutdown for years. Because it’s a rural community, there’s going to be less cops than there would a city. That’s a no brainer. Cities have vastly more resources than rural communities where the only jobs are clerk jobs at the local beer distributor. Cities are also places where people are stacked on top of each other, and whenever that happens, people demand more rules because what 1 person does has a greater effect on their neighbors. So because cities have vastly more resources, and more people demanding more rules and greater enforcement of those rules, the city devotes their vast resources to cops. The same is true of China, Peru, Sweden, or any other city you can think of where the vast majority is made up of 1 race.

What’s your point?

Denying facts. That's so adult.

Denying facts. That's so adult.
If antyhig at all has been proven beyond any doubt over the last few months, it's that the CDC doesn't deal in facts....They're just another branch of the bureaucratic hack-a-rama...Of da gubmint, by da gubmint, for da gubmint.

Forum List

Back