Born 100 Years Too Late

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
Born 100 Years Too Late​

by Linda Schrock Taylor​

A fellow teacher is of the opinion that I was born 100 years too late and the more I have considered that suggestion, the more it seems to ring true. Actually, the remark opened a window through which I could see why I have gone through my life feeling like I was missing…something; feeling offended by…something; always searching for…something. I believe that I have been missing the Past with its higher standards of decency, morals, values, classical educations, close family ties, lives spent closer to the earth. Modern culture and modern life offend me in so many ways.

The rest is very good, but the first paragraph is what I connected with most...

http://www.lewrockwell.com/taylor/taylor31.html

hehe old people and their insecurities... hehe

Really though, would you rather live 100 years earlier? I wouldn't... back then the book of virtues carried weight. Ever hear the phrase, "children should be seen not heard."? Not for me buddy.

JohnGalt said:
hehe old people and their insecurities... hehe

Really though, would you rather live 100 years earlier? I wouldn't... back then the book of virtues carried weight. Ever hear the phrase, "children should be seen not heard."? Not for me buddy.

Whatever...

• Thanks
Reactions: Joz
I guess I should try and remember how "young" so many are here on this board, before I go and post articles about "how it used to be".

Pale Rider said:
Born 100 Years Too Late​

by Linda Schrock Taylor​

A fellow teacher is of the opinion that I was born 100 years too late and the more I have considered that suggestion, the more it seems to ring true. Actually, the remark opened a window through which I could see why I have gone through my life feeling like I was missing…something; feeling offended by…something; always searching for…something. I believe that I have been missing the Past with its higher standards of decency, morals, values, classical educations, close family ties, lives spent closer to the earth. Modern culture and modern life offend me in so many ways.

The rest is very good, but the first paragraph is what I connected with most...

http://www.lewrockwell.com/taylor/taylor31.html

There is so much to miss! :wtf: The short lifespan, child labor, segregation, the Darwin lawsuits, baths only once a week, no air conditioning, no skydiving, no swimming pools, no insulation, inefficient heating, baths only once a week at most (I know I already mentioned it but it deserves a second visit)! I don't think I would even want to visit let alone live there.

But hey, to each their own it might suit you. :D

the past wasn't so great either, but we have lost many connections to things that were very important to this nation and humanity in the past... we're making a comeback though, it just takes time

Pale Rider said:
I guess I should try and remember how "young" so many are here on this board, before I go and post articles about "how it used to be".
We should compare notes sometime. I wasn't born a hundred years ago, but I knew some folks who were! (Love them grandparents!)

no1tovote4 said:
There is so much to miss! :wtf: The short lifespan, child labor, segregation, the Darwin lawsuits, baths only once a week, no air conditioning, no skydiving, no swimming pools, no insulation, inefficient heating, baths only once a week at most (I know I already mentioned it but it deserves a second visit)! I don't think I would even want to visit let alone live there.

Air conditioning and heated bath water help polute the air. same with skydiving. Swimming pools are a waste of water that could be used to irrigate the family farm. baths are highly overrated...if we all stink the same we wont notice.

Sarcasm folks.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
CSM said:
Air conditioning and heated bath water help polute the air. same with skydiving. Swimming pools are a waste of water that could be used to irrigate the family farm. baths are highly overrated...if we all stink the same we wont notice.

Sarcasm folks.

:laugh:

Well that would depend on which type of heating you use, electric heating pollutes the air, but propane or natural gas does not.

no1tovote4 said:
:laugh:

Well that would depend on which type of heating you use, electric heating pollutes the air, but propane or natural gas does not.
I suppose we could just fill the tub and stick it out in teh sunshine for a while...make it tough in the winter though.

no1tovote4 said:

Yes, it was so terrible back then. They had good work ethics, they cared about and helped their neighbor, they knew the difference between right and wrong, when you got married, you stayed married. Families sat down at the kitchen table and ate meals together, and kids played OUTSIDE for fun instead of parked on their ass in front of a TV playing video games... and LOVED it.

Times were simpler, people were more honest and apt to help you if you needed it, and the pace wasn't as fast. Today everybody's in a big damn hurry. You get shot on the stinking freeway going to work in the morning just for looking wrong at the guy in the lane next to you, and the almighty DOLLAR rules just about everything.

Oh yeeeeeaaaaahhhh, things are sooooo much today.

CSM said:
We should compare notes sometime. I wasn't born a hundred years ago, but I knew some folks who were! (Love them grandparents!)

Love to CSM. I was born in 1955. All my grandparents have passed away.

And no1tovote kind of missed my point. I'm talking more about the "people" of yesteryear, more than the material things.

Pale Rider said:
Yes, it was so terrible back then. They had good work ethics, they cared about and helped their neighbor, they knew the difference between right and wrong, when you got married, you stayed married. Families sat down at the kitchen table and ate meals together, and kids played OUTSIDE for fun instead of parked on their ass in front of a TV playing video games... and LOVED it.

Times were simpler, people were more honest and apt to help you if you needed it, and the pace wasn't as fast. Today everybody's in a big damn hurry. You get shot on the stinking freeway going to work in the morning just for looking wrong at the guy in the lane next to you, and the almighty DOLLAR rules just about everything.

Oh yeeeeeaaaaahhhh, things are sooooo much today.

That depends entirely on where you choose to live. Out here in the boondocks what you described above in the former paragraph is the norm still.

Pale Rider said:

And no1tovote kind of missed my point. I'm talking more about the "people" of yesteryear, more than the material things.

It was sarcasm, that is why I used the neat little simley :)D). I am sorry if you took my dry humor seriously.

I was only trying to add a little brevity to your day. :(

no1tovote4 said:
That depends entirely on where you choose to live. Out here in the boondocks what you described above in the former paragraph is the norm still.

I would have to agree. I live downtown, and the area I live in is very tight. It's a pain in the ass at times, but on the other hand, I know my daughter is safe playing outside since everyone else is out there too.

Pale Rider said:

I knew what you meant. I was born in 1950, by the way. Unlike Dilloduck however, I am not an old fart!

Pale Rider said:

I date back to the forties, so you probably dont consider me young.....I think the time is just right.

History is okay....been there done that.....when I went to high school I did a project on careers.....I wanted to be a lawyer....and my teacher graded it lower because it wasnt a realistic career choice "for a woman". Very nasy attitude. Computers were just new on the scene.....my physics teacher bought a used computer from a university.....tubes no less, and filled up a whole building. I went on to study computer electronics, lots of computer logic and systems architecture. Its all been fascinating.

I gotta say though, I would have loved pursuing a career in law, I could have become one of those dearly hated lawyers or worsse yet a judge.

no1tovote4 said:
It was sarcasm, that is why I used the neat little simley :)D). I am sorry if you took my dry humor seriously.

I was only trying to add a little brevity to your day. :(

Thanks no1. Sometimes I am too serious and fail to see the humor.

And I know what you mean about where you chose to live. I moved from a one horse, two dog town in south west Wisconsin, population maybe 150, to Phoenix, Arizona. I'd lived in big cities before, but hell, Phoenix is the fifth largest city in America, and has two of the fastest growing areas out of the top ten within it's city limits. I hated it. I am NOT a city slicker, and never want to be.

So now I'm here in Reno, Nevada. I absolutey LOVE it!! It's not huge city, and it's absolutely BEAUTIFUL here. The city is surrounded right now by snow capped mountains and hills, and there's just enough hills around the city to when you drive around at night, there's lots of places where you get an absolutely to die for view of the downtown all lit up. And if you want pretty mountains, not twenty minutes in any direction and your in the middle of NOWHERE. Especially going into California though. It's the prettiest place I've ever been in America, and I love it.

So I've made a choice to live in a city just big enough and happenin' enough to not be bored, but small enough, and close enough to NOTHING so when I need to get away, it's twenty minutes in any direction.

But I'm looking for land right now somewhere in this vacinity. Somewhere where I can build a house and retire there, and keep in mind that hopefully in my life time, I won't have any neighbors.

Forum List

Back