To my friend Scott Collins

hylandrdet

Oct 5, 2004
Tennessee
I was sleeping in the barracks of the 94th Engineer Battalion, stationed in Germany, when I heard a knock on the door. I answered it; it was the CQ officer asking me to open up the supply room and issue out some linen for a new soldier. I wouldn't be so pissed off had I not came off CQ myself; but it's my job, so I had to do it.

I went downstairs to find this soldier named Scott Collins. He was from Seattle, WA.

Once I issued him his linen, I'd asked him, "So, what are you up to tonight?". He goes,"Uh, I don't know; I don't know where to go.". Now you know what this means... :dev1:

TO THE S-BAHN...CHARGE!!!!

We took the train to Frankfurt; man, this city is awesome because has a similar resemblence to manhattan. I told him to let me know when he sees the "Neon Pyramid", that being the glowing top of Frankfurt's Messehalle skyscraper. He saw it and I knew we were there. I'd warned him before we got off the train, "Ok, Dorothy, hang on tight; you're about to enter the Land of OZ".

Our first STOP, the RED LIGHT DISTRICT; located one block away from the bahnhoft, it's the entertainment capital of the city. I took him to the "top cat" bar and told him I'll be right back. I'd walked around the block to call my then girlfriend, who was german, and told her what I'd done; She busted a gut laughing; she then recommended one of her girlfriends; I said, "OK, send her over".

I go back into the Top Cat to find Scott confused. I'd asked him what's wrong and he complained that a girl walked up to him, asked him to step into a covered booth and buy her a drink. The problem.. that one drink cost 65 Marks, or 40 dollars. I finally had to let him off the hook and told him that the bar was actually a role playing brothel. Then I said,"Hey guys, come on in!". The rest of my friends, who were soldiers, came in and sprayed cheap champaigne all over him. In layman's terms, it was a hazing ritual.

Within minutes after the hazing, my girlfriend and her friend showed up. As a group, we showed Scott the entire town, including the dance club "the magic box", which had the group SNAP (I got the power) playing that night.

Afterwards, we'd parted ways with the other soldiers, it was me and my girl, along with scott and my girl's friend. My girlfriend was rather how shall I say adventurous; she was driving on the opposite side of the street most of the way to her house, just for the sake of scaring the hell out of us. Scott went nuts about her driving, from there, came an exchange of words that would etch a permanent place in my memory.

Scott turned to me and said, "Oh man, we're going to die!". I jokingly responded back, "I'm not going to die..You will." We didn't die that night; instead, we had a good night with the girls and we went back to the barracks as friends...

That was the first thing that went through my mind as I processed Scott Collin's body for transport from our turkish base to Germany. He was killed when his fuel truck was slamed into by a car driven by an insurgent. The poisonous irony..He was a better soldier than I was. He out performed me at all but the PT testing level. We were both battling for the next promotion and I got it, at the expense of his death.

As I observe this Veterans Day, I feel even more proud to be a democrat and I have much repsect for every republican that'd served. For even though my friend Scott Collins was a Republican and I was a Democrat; for one moment in time, we were bothers, because we were both willing to fight and die for our country together. God bless you Scott.

That's a hell of a story. Sorry to hear about Scott's death.

But you are also very correct - ties from serving together transcend just about any differences we have, be they political, religious, racial, whatever.

Not that a smilie would ever do a soldier justice, but... :salute:

gop_jeff said:
That's a hell of a story. Sorry to hear about Scott's death.

But you are also very correct - ties from serving together transcend just about any differences we have, be they political, religious, racial, whatever.

Not that a smilie would ever do a soldier justice, but... :salute:

I respect your opinion, Jeff; just remember the major point about the American soldier; he/she is apolitical; I'd faught under the command of George Bush Sr, not because I believed in him (by the way, I didn't), but because my oath said that I'll obey the president without question. It was my job at the time and I had to do it.

:salute: Back to ya!

hylandrdet said:
I respect your opinion, Jeff; just remember the major point about the American soldier; he/she is apolitical; I'd faught under the command of George Bush Sr, not because I believed in him (by the way, I didn't), but because my oath said that I'll obey the president without question. It was my job at the time and I had to do it.

So, when did Scott die? This war, or GW1. You said you served under Sr. so are you no longer in?

hylandrdet said:

I agree that soldiers follow orders regardless of politics; however, I think it's a bit naive to say that soldiers are apolitical (i.e. have no political opinions). It's just that we put our politics aside for the time that we are in uniform, like you did in Desert Storm. (I'm an Army vet myself - been there.)

freeandfun1 said:
So, when did Scott die? This war, or GW1. You said you served under Sr. so are you no longer in?

I'll tell you as soon as you tell me who you are, where you live, what you're doing, and that all of this info is verified.

hylandrdet said:
I'll tell you as soon as you tell me who you are, where you live, what you're doing, and that all of this info is verified.

First off, YOU are the one that made a public spectacle of your "friend". I don't buy the story.

Sorry if it offends, but there were no insurgents in GWI (I was there), you say you prepared his body for return in Turkey, yet you say you served under Bush Sr. Too much just doesn't add up.

gop_jeff said:
I agree that soldiers follow orders regardless of politics; however, I think it's a bit naive to say that soldiers are apolitical (i.e. have no political opinions). It's just that we put our politics aside for the time that we are in uniform, like you did in Desert Storm. (I'm an Army vet myself - been there.)

Jeff, let me summarized the point of this tribute.

You and I are taking a moment to sit down at a table, drink a couple of beers, and talk about the times. Then, take a moment to respect each other's contribution to the wars we'd faught in, then go home. The next day, when the horn sounds, we come out fighting against each other again.

All I'd done was to take that holiday off from the bickering; for in my opinion, it was a sacred holiday, that's all. The biggest struggle I have in this forum is that I am surrounded by a bunch of paranoids that believe I have an agenda behind every posting.

I'm going to post my opinion and it's going to be honest; feel free to poke holes in it; I can't nor I won't stop you; I choose to serve and protect the 1st Admendment, regardless of the abuse of it.

I'd posted my tribute, you take it for what it's worth.

For the record, I believe you'd served alongside me; therefore, I salute you
:salute:

hylandrdet said:

You and I are taking a moment to sit down at a table, drink a couple of beers, and talk about the times. Then, take a moment to respect each other's contribution to the wars we'd faught in, then go home. The next day, when the horn sounds, we come out fighting against each other again.

All I'd done was to take that holiday off from the bickering; for in my opinion, it was a sacred holiday, that's all. The biggest struggle I have in this forum is that I am surrounded by a bunch of paranoids that believe I have an agenda behind every posting.

I'm going to post my opinion and it's going to be honest; feel free to poke holes in it; I can't nor I won't stop you; I choose to serve and protect the 1st Admendment, regardless of the abuse of it.

busted - you're a fake.

hylandrdet said:

How any military man can watch the dems blatantly lie about nearly every aspect of this war for political reasons and still be a dem is beyond me.

No Scott Collins was killed in this Gulf War:

http://icasualties.org/oif/Details.aspx

1054 08/08/04 Collins, Jonathan W. Lance Corporal 19 U.S. Marine 2nd Bat., 4th Marines, 1st Marine Div., I Mar. Exped. Force Hostile - hostile fire Al Anbar Province Crystal Lake Illinois US
453 11/08/03 Collins, Gary L. Staff Sergeant 32 U.S. Army 1st Bat., 16th Inf. Reg., 1st Infantry Div. Hostile - hostile fire - IED attack Fallujah Hardin Texas US

lilcountriegal said:
No Scott Collins was killed in this Gulf War:

http://icasualties.org/oif/Details.aspx

Exactly. Furthermore, hydick said that HE processed the body for return to the US from Turkey, yet he later says that he served under Bush Sr. He says the guys was killed by an insurgent, but there were NO insurgents in the GWI and frankly, there were very few deaths in GWI caused by ENEMY fire. Most deaths were due to accident and friendly fire. So if he served under Bush Sr. but not "W", then HOW did he process the body of a soldier killed in this war?

Hydick said he was making the post on that solemn day so that those of us that served can put our political difference behind us for a day, yet he goes on to close his FAKE story by writing:

As I observe this Veterans Day, I feel even more proud to be a democrat and I have much repsect for every republican that'd served. For even though my friend Scott Collins was a Republican and I was a Democrat; for one moment in time, we were bothers, because we were both willing to fight and die for our country together. God bless you Scott.

If he really was hoping that for a day we could put our political differences behind us, then why bring up political parties?

Hydick is a fake and it makes me mad'r en shit cuz I hate it when people use the military and the sacrafices as the military to try and make a political statement. Leave the military and the memory of those that have died serving our country OUT of politics. I bet hydick never even served.....

hylandrdet said:

Whoa. I have no idea what got your panties in a wad. I was the one who said that military service transcended all other ties; you were theone to specifically bring politics up:

gop_jeff said:

hylandrdet said:

I certainly respect your service, along with your friend's sacrifice. But where did the charge of me dragging politics into this come into play??

Sir Evil said:
Pretty much been that way since his first post! Making up a story of this nature has to make one wonder what kind of life he has. :rolleyes:

agreed. him and wade would make a good couple.

freeandfun1 said:
First off, YOU are the one that made a public spectacle of your "friend". I don't buy the story.

Sorry if it offends, but there were no insurgents in GWI (I was there), you say you prepared his body for return in Turkey, yet you say you served under Bush Sr. Too much just doesn't add up.

It doesn't add up because you weren't there.

An insurgent is a civilian or military personnel fighting on his' or hers OWN ACCORD!!! If you were truly there, you would find that most of the Gulf War casualties were shipped to Incirlik AFB in Turkey, (because it's closer), then shipped to Germany, before arriving to America.

You was there... Where? Along the "saddam line", digging holes? In Kuwait? In the No Fly Zones? In the valleys where the real fighting had taken place?

Scott had suffered burns to over 80% of his body; I can still tell the difference between the smell of his burning flesh and anything that can be burned.

Don't mock me boy. Either agree to exchange your info for mine, or be quiet. Whatever you do, just remember one thing, you're gambling with your soul, should you be wrong; and you are.

Oh by the way, you do know you can look up Scott's name in the Army's database, to varify my story. All I'd done was to tell my annual veteran's day story; a story I'd told so many times over the net, that's all.

I accepted a long time ago that this forum is a "conservative wolf" wrapped in sheep's clothing. Get over yourselves, please!

It's amazing how one vote for John Kerry can lead to so much discrimination. I however must admit to my only hypocrisy; Michigan MUST crush Ohio State. Why? Because they're Ohio State; I don't care if a OSU fan voted for Kerry, OSU must be crushed. MICHIGAN 34 Ohio State 10 (A very liberal 10 at that).

GO BLUE!!!!

Get some sleep my friend.

Oh by the way, you do know you can look up Scott's name in the Army's database, to varify my story. All I'd done was to tell my annual veteran's day story; a story I'd told so many times over the net, that's all.

Did you even read the thread? People did look up Scott's name. Hence why no one is believing your story

As for your crap about college football, who the heck cares? its a game.

hylandrdet said:
It doesn't add up because you weren't there.

An insurgent is a civilian or military personnel fighting on his' or hers OWN ACCORD!!! If you were truly there, you would find that most of the Gulf War casualties were shipped to Incirlik AFB in Turkey, (because it's closer), then shipped to Germany, before arriving to America.

You was there... Where? Along the "saddam line", digging holes? In Kuwait? In the No Fly Zones? In the valleys where the real fighting had taken place?

Scott had suffered burns to over 80% of his body; I can still tell the difference between the smell of his burning flesh and anything that can be burned.

Don't mock me boy. Either agree to exchange your info for mine, or be quiet. Whatever you do, just remember one thing, you're gambling with your soul, should you be wrong; and you are.

I accepted a long time ago that this forum is a "conservative wolf" wrapped in sheep's clothing. Get over yourselves, please!

It's amazing how one vote for John Kerry can lead to so much discrimination. I however must admit to my only hypocrisy; Michigan MUST crush Ohio State. Why? Because they're Ohio State; I don't care if a OSU fan voted for Kerry, OSU must be crushed. MICHIGAN 34 Ohio State 10 (A very liberal 10 at that).

GO BLUE!!!!

Get some sleep my friend.

I was in an M901 Improved TOW Vehicle (ITV) which is an Infantry Anti-Armor vehicle and I was a Sergeant/E5 squad leader assigned to 2nd Section, 2nd Squad (vehicle number E24), 2nd Platoon, Echo Company, 3rd Battalion, 15th Infantry Regiment, 24th Infantry Division, 18th Airborne Corps. Which was a rapid deployment unit for the Middle East and therefore, I deployed to Saudi Arabia in mid August 1990, just a few days after Iraq invaded Kuwait.

During the ground war, I was part of Task Force 4-64 and took part in the raids that captured both Jalibah and Tallil airbases and I was in the Battle of Rumalia which occurred after the cease fire was called when we encountered an Iraqi Republican Guard unit that was trying to retreat toward Baghdad. A friend of mine, John Hutto, was killed in action during our raid on Jalibah, so don't go trying giving me any shit you fake ass mother fucker!

If you were in a combat zone, YOU would not have accompanied his body back to Turkey. His body would have been transferred to a Graves Registration Unit and THEY would have processed his body and shipped it back to the USA. Once he was taken from the battlefield or place of death, YOU would have had NOTHING to do with his remains.

You are so full of shit I can smell you from here!

freeandfun1 said:
I was in an M901 Improved TOW Vehicle (ITV) which is an Infantry Anti-Armor TOW vehicle and was in 2nd Section, 2nd Squad (vehicle number E24), 2nd Platoon, Echo Company, 3rd Battalion, 15th Infantry Regiment, 24th Infantry Division, 18th Airborne Corp. Which was a rapid deployment unit for the Middle East and therefore, I deployed to Saudi Arabia in mid August 1990, just a few days after Iraq invaded Kuwait.

During the ground war, I was part of Task Force 4-64 and took part in the raids that captured both Jalibah and Tallil airbases and I was in the Battle of Rumalia which occurred after the cease fire was called when we encountered an Iraqi Republican Guard unit that was trying to retreat toward Baghdad. A friend of mine, John Hutto, that was killed in action during our raid on Jalibah, so don't go trying giving me any shit you fake ass mother fucker!

I was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 18th Field Artillery located in Germany before it was eventually located to Ft Sill OK. The assignment was a transfer from the 94th ENGR BN, located in Darmstadt, Germany; where Scott Collins was stationed; Oh by the way, the Republican Guard never made it to
Baghdad, because the armored divisions of Seventh Corp, out of Frankfurt, cut them off at the valleys. You were fighting insurgents, not the republican guard.

After Scott's death, and my promotion, I was then transfered to Turkey to participate in Operation Provide Comfort; an operation to fight the iraqi army in order to pave the way for kurdish refugees, who were targets of Iraqi retaliation, to flee into Turkey.

I have the balls to say this to you; do whatever reasearch you need to do; but in the end, my story will check out. I do expect an apology.

Forum List

Back