Border Books

GWBfan

May 26, 2004
Dallas, TX
Has anyone been to a Border Books this weekend? I visited two stores and could not find a copy of this week's Time OR Newsweek (both with W's victory as a cover story)..And of course there wasn't a copy of National Review or Weekly Standard to be found. Maybe they were sold out, but these periodicals always get put out on Friday and I was there first thing Saturday morning.
I say this because I remember some controversy regarding their carrying more of the liberally bent politcal books..
Anyone notice the same thing in your area?

GWBfan said:
Has anyone been to a Border Books this weekend? I visited two stores and could not find a copy of this week's Time OR Newsweek (both with W's victory as a cover story)..And of course there wasn't a copy of National Review or Weekly Standard to be found. Maybe they were sold out, but these periodicals always get put out on Friday and I was there first thing Saturday morning.
I say this because I remember some controversy regarding their carrying more of the liberally bent politcal books..

There isn't a Border's book store in my area, but I did read an article in National Review about some of the dirty tricks that Borders employees have pulled (in fact, I posted something about it a while back).
http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showpost.php?p=159627&postcount=1

As for trying to find a copy of National Review, The Weekly Standard....good luck. Although I subscribe to both (ok.... so I like to read!), I sometimes check just to see if a bookstore carries it. Now, if I wanted to check out the latest issue of "Leather Lover's Weekly", now THAT'S different!

There is a Barnes & Noble in my town, and I haven't noticed any "dirty tricks" .... of course, I feel like I'm in enemy territory because of well..... dare I say it?.... all the icky liberals! Let's face it, what do you make of someone whose hair color reminds you of a roll of Life Savers, is wearing a Che Quevera T-shirt, sipping on a Chai Mochachino Latte and is reading "Bringing Out your Inner Lesbian"?

Whenever I go to the current events section, if someone else is there, they're always looking at "Stupid White Men", "The Bush Haters Guide to the Universe", "Between Iraq and a Hard Place" or other such nonsense. If I check out Coulter, Hannity or Schlafly and I sometimes get "the look". When that happens, I show them a note from my mother that says it's OK for me to be reading such materials! :)

Like the late great Rodney Dangerfield always said "It ain't easy being me! (especially in a bookstore!)"

GWBfan said:

Yes, this happens all the time where I live, too. Lib books are prominently displayed, and more conservative tomes, if available, are--isn't it curious--buried in the back someplace.

So is it the hippy-type clerks who "hide" the books--ostensibly to prevent their "evil" conservative ideas from being spread? Or to prevent the authors from making money by selling books?

Or does the management mastermind this? I guess they don't want to do business. Odd, isn't it?

My money is on the hippie minimum-wager.

Management wants money. They don't care if they sell books to Satanists looking for new ways to challenge the devil, Vegetarians trying to figure out if killing butchers is ethical, or...God forbid, Conservatives buying the latest Ann Coulter book...they just want to SELL SELL SELL.

Now when those books get to the stores however...its the liberal college student whose working for a bit of beer money who puts the books on the shelves...and if her boss says, "put together a political display" and that display seems to put three positive John Kerry books right out front next to 5 negative GWB books...while putting the 3 negative Kerry books in the back bottom shelf next to the 5 positive GWB books...well...whos really to know.

Honestly, I do a lot of my book buying online...its just easier than dealing with things like this...unless you like being a pain...then just make them either a) find the book for you...or b) order it for you...

Forum List

Back