Bohner: Shutdown Govt good for the Democrats

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
Boehner: Democrats

House Speaker John Boehner told his caucus Tuesday that Democrats would probably “win” the political battle if the government shuts down on Friday. “The Democrats think they benefit from a government shutdown. I agree,” Boehner said—and several of his colleagues who were there for the 1995 shutdown backed him up. Still, Boehner made little progress with the White House and Senate Democrats at an 80-minute meeting; he is said to have demanded $40 billion in cuts, a $7 billion hike from the $33 billion they had been discussing

Well, um...DUH!

I think he's right. The politics have played out such that the Republicans look like the ones who are holding out and being uncompromising. It doesn't help them either that with a Democrat in the White House, and the GOP in control of the House, the whole situation immediately resembles the shut down during Clinton's time. People are likely to draw immediate comparisons, including where to lay the blame.

Funny, how none of the right wingers on the board here want to talk about this. I guess they can't escape the tides.

House Speaker John Boehner told his caucus Tuesday that Democrats would probably “win” the political battle if the government shuts down on Friday. “The Democrats think they benefit from a government shutdown. I agree,” Boehner said—and several of his colleagues who were there for the 1995 shutdown backed him up. Still, Boehner made little progress with the White House and Senate Democrats at an 80-minute meeting; he is said to have demanded $40 billion in cuts, a $7 billion hike from the $33 billion they had been discussing

Well, um...DUH!

Of course. It's in the Democrats best interest to shut down the government. We have a major fiscal crises and the Democrats will not let this go to waste. They seem to have a problem with budgets, yet the Republicans will be blamed for this. Go figure. :cuckoo:

Well, um...DUH!

You just gotta love partisan hacks like Boehner controlling our country.....

Well, um...DUH!

Of course. It's in the Democrats best interest to shut down the government. We have a major fiscal crises and the Democrats will not let this go to waste. They seem to have a problem with budgets, yet the Republicans will be blamed for this. Go figure. :cuckoo:

As they should. The Tea Baggers are orchestrating this and Boehner is too afraid of them to steer a different course. There are enough votes in the House to pass a compromise budget with $33 billion in tax cuts. But that's not good enough for Boehner. He wants a budget that all GOP reps will vote aye. That is insane considering the GOP reps in the house.

I hope they stay closed until 100s of billions are on the chopping blopck. Otherwise, screw em, stay the hell on vacation.

Because what our economy needs is even more unemployment, right?

This should strike anyone as a glaring problem ie govt employment numbers but probably
not to the ones that worship at the alter of big government.

Do you seriously believe that these govt employees will do without? Hell no they won't. I have two friends from my former employer, DOI, text me a few minutes ago cheering about their upcoming vacation.

Again, hundreds of billions need to be cut on a yearly basis in the form of entitlements and defense.

As they should. The Tea Baggers are orchestrating this and Boehner is too afraid of them to steer a different course. There are enough votes in the House to pass a compromise budget with $33 billion in tax cuts. But that's not good enough for Boehner. He wants a budget that all GOP reps will vote aye. That is insane considering the GOP reps in the house.

What compromise budget is that? The only ones offering a budge are the republicans. The democrats just offer continuing resolutions

The democrats want this circus, which is why they keep doing the continuing resolution nonsense. The budget and appropriations bills should have been passed in October of Last year.

They were too busy doing a cram down of health are to worry about their budget responsibilities. If they had done their job, we wouldn't be in this position. And they still refuse to do any funding for more than several weeks at a time. They badly want this drama.

I hope they stay closed until 100s of billions are on the chopping block. Otherwise, screw em, stay the hell on vacation.

Because what our economy needs is even more unemployment, right?

I'm sure the housing market will love a freeze in FHA procedures!

Goldman estimates that a temporary 5-day shutdown will shave 2/10 of a percent of GDP. I'm sure that would make Tea Partyers happy.

The Dems won't even approve a bill to pay the troops fighting our wars overseas during this shutdown. Tells you where their priorities are. Party above all else. To Dems, funding abortion and cowboy poetry is more important than paying a soldier to support his family.

What compromise budget is that? The only ones offering a budge are the republicans. The democrats just offer continuing resolutions

The democrats want this circus, which is why they keep doing the continuing resolution nonsense. The budget and appropriations bills should have been passed in October of Last year.

They were too busy doing a cram down of health are to worry about their budget responsibilities. If they had done their job, we wouldn't be in this position. And they still refuse to do any funding for more than several weeks at a time. They badly want this drama.
BULLSHIT!!!
The GOP are the ones adding abortion and environmental POISON PILLS to a "budget bill" to guarantee a shutdown!!!

BULLSHIT!!!
The GOP are the ones adding abortion and environmental POISON PILLS to a "budget bill" to guarantee a shutdown!!!
just as was the case in Wisconsin the republicans are using the budget as cover to force passage of some of their agenda.

that's why if and when there is a shutdown they'll take the blame. Democrats will simply say they were fine on the numbers, but believed those issues should be left to their own debate - and people will agree.

BULLSHIT!!!
just as was the case in Wisconsin the republicans are using the budget as cover to force passage of some of their agenda.

that's why if and when there is a shutdown they'll take the blame. Democrats will simply say they were fine on the numbers, but believed those issues should be left to their own debate - and people will agree.

LOL SHUT IT DOWN Ya good luck with that and yes we will hold him and the left accountable

The Dems won't even approve a bill to pay the troops fighting our wars overseas during this shutdown. Tells you where their priorities are. Party above all else. To Dems, funding abortion and cowboy poetry is more important than paying a soldier to support his family.
Typical CON$ervative dishonesty in leaving out the fact that the military funding bill contains an abortion rider as a poison pill. What does an abortion rider have to do with military spending, other than the GOP playing politics with the soldiers fighting abroad by putting their Party first?!!!

BULLSHIT!!!

LOL SHUT IT DOWN Ya good luck with that and yes we will hold him and the left accountable

it's not going to play out that way.

why would the republicans make the budget bill about abortion and environmental law?

it's because they're not serious about passing it. those debates belong on their own and not held with the threat of government shutdown looming overhead.

Forum List

Back