Body Positive Model Elly Mayday Dies at 30 from Ovarian Cancer

Body positive model Elly Mayday dies at 30 from ovarian cancer

What is urgently needed are new biomarkers for early detection as well as new approaches to combat cancer drug resistance.
It's not the drug that's the problem it's the type of cancer. Like my wife what Elly had is rare and difficult to treat plus it typically does not display any early symptoms so it's usually not caught until it's late stage.
They don't say specifically what kind of ovarian cancer she had but I'm guessing it was a carcinosarcoma basically a cancer that has the characteristics of both a carcinoma and a sarcoma. Carcinomas are common and the most easily treated, sarcomas are rare and often difficult to treat.

What is urgently needed are new biomarkers for early detection as well as new approaches to combat cancer drug resistance.

Damn that's too young.

Screening is all about time and money. What we can do is concentrate on making tests simpler and maybe the ability to do more at once.

Symptoms are vague and mimic many other things in ovarian cancer. And there is not a simple test to detect it.-

Although the CA-125 blood test is more accurate in postmenopausal women, it is not a reliable early detection test for ovarian cancer. In about 20 percent of advanced stage ovarian cancer cases and 50 percent of early stage cases, the CA-125 is not elevated even though ovarian cancer is present. As a result, doctors generally use the CA-125 blood test in combination with a transvaginal ultrasound. Because CA-125 misses half of early cancers and can be elevated by benign conditions, the National Cancer Institute does not endorse using it to screen women for ovarian cancer who are at ordinary risk or in the general population.

Transvaginal Ultrasound
A transvaginal ultrasound is a test used to examine a woman’s reproductive organs and bladder, and can often reveal if there are masses or irregularities on the surface of the ovaries and within cysts that form within the ovaries. To administer the test, the doctor inserts a probe into the woman’s vagina. The probe sends off sound waves which reflect off body structures. The waves are then received by a computer that turns them into a picture. An ultrasound alone is not an accurate way to screen for ovarian cancer.

There needs to be more research into finding easier ways to detect it.

We have info on a biomarker that is expressed before CA-125 and are aware of the implications involved in diagnosis with CA-125. There are also serous and non-serous phenotypes as well as K450 methylation protocols that should be included in this discussion No, drug resistance is the problem, because most patients will receive a taxane-platinum regimen.

We first mentioned the PI3K H1047R mutation in the Evolution of the Saxophone thread, post #17, which is expressed earlier than the biomarker CA-125. There is only one report that links Elly Mayday's LGSOC to PI3K:

LGSOC / PI3K
Novel combinations of PI3K-mTOR inhibitors with dacomitinib or chemotherapy in PTEN-deficient patient-derived tumor xenografts. - PubMed - NCBI

Evolution of the Saxophone, post #17: PI3K H1047R Mutation
PIK3CA and KRAS mutations in cell free circulating DNA are useful markers for monitoring ovarian clear cell carcinoma. - PubMed - NCBI

Notice that the G-to-R kras mutation in LGSOC goes to arginine just as it does in the PI3K mutation. Isoelectrically, it is the highest of all the amino acids. Unfortunately, Mayday's PI3K status and its changes over time is unknown.

It's not the drug that's the problem it's the type of cancer. Like my wife what Elly had is rare and difficult to treat plus it typically does not display any early symptoms so it's usually not caught until it's late stage.
They don't say specifically what kind of ovarian cancer she had but I'm guessing it was a carcinosarcoma basically a cancer that has the characteristics of both a carcinoma and a sarcoma. Carcinomas are common and the most easily treated, sarcomas are rare and often difficult to treat.

your wife had ovarian cancer?

No, she has uterine cancer a Leiomyosarcoma. Just over four years ago when they discovered it the did a full hysterectomy and declared her cured........ Last October we discovered that it wasn't cured and by now had reached stage 4, lungs, kidney and spleen. She started Chemo at the beginning of the year, just finished the third chemo cycle so should have a CAT Scan soon to see if the chemo has done any good. Because she couldn't work she was terminated from her job and the medical insurance went away at the start of this month. We're working on getting some assistance though.

No, she has uterine cancer a Leiomyosarcoma. Just over four years ago when they discovered it the did a full hysterectomy and declared her cured........ Last October we discovered that it wasn't cured and by now had reached stage 4, lungs, kidney and spleen. She started Chemo at the beginning of the year, just finished the third chemo cycle so should have a CAT Scan soon to see if the chemo has done any good. Because she couldn't work she was terminated from her job and the medical insurance went away at the start of this month. We're working on getting some assistance though.

i was asking because my sister passed from ovarian cancer.

i'll keep my fingers crossed that your wife & you get good news.

My heart goes out to you both, Ringel. Keep the faith. My sister was diagnosed with terminal cancer with no surgery possible 2 years ago, and has been in remission for 12 months, after treatment and feels and looks great.

We're keeping a positive attitude that she's one of the 16% survival rate individuals at this stage and even then it is never "cured", reoccurance rates are high. Due to the insurance issue she's being transferred up to UNM Albuquerque for continued treatment.

We're keeping a positive attitude that she's one of the 9% survival rate individuals at this stage and even then it is never "cured", reoccurance rates are high. Due to the insurance issue she's being transferred up to UNM Albuquerque for continued treatment.

there should never be an issue with insurance... but that is a topic for another thread. 9% is better than 8, or 7 or 6... & you make sure to take care of you too....

We're keeping a positive attitude that she's one of the 9% survival rate individuals at this stage and even then it is never "cured", reoccurance rates are high. Due to the insurance issue she's being transferred up to UNM Albuquerque for continued treatment.

there should never be an issue with insurance... but that is a topic for another thread. 9% is better than 8, or 7 or 6... & you make sure to take care of you too....
Actually I misquoted, it's 16%. The problem with leiomyosarcoma is it's rare so it's not as heavily studied as carcinomas. The Doc she'll be going to we've already seen up at UNM Cancer Center and has been a Gynecological Oncologist for almost 30 years and they's making huge stride in treating cancer even in the last five years. We keep a positive attitude and prayers going, not just for her but for all who are suffering from cancer. Heck, just one of the chemo drugs she gets is $24,000 for a six month treatment..........

Yes, UNM at Albuquerque has a formidable array of medical expertise. Unlike Elly Mayday's carcinoma, leiomyosarcoma comes without common recurrent single nucleotide variants as we have shown for PI3K H1047R in serous OC. It does express copy number alterations.

At $316.99 per gram, one of the leading leiomyosarcoma agents is gemcitabine:

Gemcitabine
Gemcitabine - Wikipedia

A recent study from Beijing, San Diego, and Los Angeles establishes a mouse model and names at least four agents:

2019 Feb Gemcitabine-Docetaxel / Trabectidin-Temozolomide
A patient-derived orthotopic xenograft (PDOX) nude-mouse model precisely identifies effective and ineffective therapies for recurrent leiomyosarcoma. - PubMed - NCBI

Docetaxel is taxane-based agent, so taxanes are also effective against leiomyosarcoma just as they are against carcinomas.

Forum List

Back