Blind fish that crawls on land holds clues to evolution

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Pretty powerful evidence of evolution.

Blind fish that crawls on land holds clues to evolution

Researchers from the New Jersey Institute of Technology have identified the walking cavefish, a fish that can walk on land and even climb waterfalls using its salamander-like limbs in the same way as a tetrapod, or a four-footed mammal or amphibian. So far, no other fish has been found with these anatomical features.

Research on discovery of the cavefish, Cryptotora thamicola,was published Thursday in the journal Nature Scientific Reports.

The unusual, blind, two-inch-long fish was found in caves located in the Tham Maelana and the Tham Susa karst cave formation in northern Thailand. It has not been seen anywhere else on Earth.
<more>

If you want to believe you descended from a crap flinging ape, I won't stand in your way.

Darwin's theory requires millions of transitional forms. You monkey worshippers get excited when you think you found just one.

Pretty powerful evidence of evolution.

Researchers from the New Jersey Institute of Technology have identified the walking cavefish, a fish that can walk on land ...
The unusual, blind ...
---
Are you insinuating that Donald Trump is evolving?

that could be if we look at it with politics . the left/dem voter has evolved to blindly follow their party no questions ever asked and walk with them over a cliff if it comes to that or over a waterfall which ever one they pick for them.:muahaha:

If you want to believe you descended from a crap flinging ape, I won't stand in your way.

Darwin's theory requires millions of transitional forms. You monkey worshippers get excited when you think you found just one.

It's OK if you don't believe in Darwin. He believes in you.

It's OK if you don't believe in Darwin. He believes in you.
I believe in Darwin. He was a 19th century scientist. What's not to believe?

Where are these blind fish with feet now?
In someones tub...

920x920.jpg

Other than in comic books, are there homo sapiens who have evolved into some other species?

Other than in comic books, are there homo sapiens who have evolved into some other species?

There have been lots of evolutionary changes in homo sapiens, but not to the point of becoming another species.

If evolution has been proven, why do they still call it a theory?
OK, fellow, you just pointed out that you are a scientific illiterate.

Untitled Document

Using some common terms carefully and accurately in scientific speech and writing
As we begin our discussions for the term, I would like students to be very clear about how the usage of some common terms is different in everyday speech and in science. These differences, which I will explain below, are the source of a great deal of confusion when scientists speak to non-scientists, and even when scientists move from "scientific speech" to everyday conversations.

Being aware of these differences and taking the trouble to use words carefully can reduce this confusion in our own thinking as well as in communicating with others. In this course, I will expect everyone to learn these differences and use terms correctly in class, in posts on the discussion board and in the assignments.

Theory vs Hypothesis
What "theory" means in ordinary speech:
The term "theory" means a very different thing when used in everyday conversation and in science. In our day to day speech, we often use "theory" to mean a guess or unsubstantiated idea about how something works (as in "I have a theory that gremlins are hiding my car keys").

In science, we would call such a guess a hypothesis, not a theory. A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for an observation. In this case, I am proposing that the explanation for why I can't find my car keys is that gremlins are hiding them.*

The distinction between the words "Theory" and "Hypothesis" is very important because in science "Theory" does not mean "guess". I repeat, "Theory" does not mean "guess".

So, what does the word "theory" mean in science?
According to the National Academies of Sciences, "some scientific explanations are so well established that no new evidence is likely to alter them. The explanation becomes a scientific theory. In everyday language a theory means a hunch or speculation. Not so in science. In science, the word theory refers to a comprehensive explanation of an important feature of nature supported by facts gathered over time.Theories also allow scientists to make predictions about as yet unobserved phenomena".

People who don't understand this distinction sometimes dismiss ideas saying "it's just a theory" (this is very commonly used to suggest that evolution is just speculation, for example). But, when scientists speak of the theory of gravity or the theory of evolution, they don't mean that these are random untested ideas that someone came up with after too many beers.

The AAAS (American Association for the Advancement of Science), the world's largest scientific society, has this explanation of what scientists mean when they use the word "theory":
" A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment. Such fact-supported theories are not "guesses" but reliable accounts of the real world."

Because of this crucial difference in meaning, I will ask students to use the word "hypothesis" whenever they are referring to a speculation or guess about how something works.

I'm not illiterate, I'm an attorney.

In my world, a "theory" is a guess about what happened that hasn't been proven yet.

If you're saying "theory" means something different in the scientific world, that's fine, but you didn't need to insult me.

I await an apology. If you do not apologize I will put you on ignore.

yes because everyone know the dead guy hanging on two sticks is the real deal , lettuce bray

Forum List

Back