Bisphenol A (BPA)...not fun stuff

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
Well, You probably already knew this but....(it's worthwhile to read over the link, especially you Gals)

----------------------------:eusa_shifty:

Migraines, debilitating headaches that can be so bad that they leave you bedridden, could be triggered by a chemical found in popular household products: Bisphenol A (BPA). According to a recent study published in the journal Toxicological Sciences,, BPA exposure via food packaging, plastics, and tins may increase the incidence and prevalence of migraines by causing changes in locomotion, light and sound sensitivity, grooming, and startle reflexes.

Migraines Linked To BPA Exposure: Plastic Cups And Bottles Increase Sound And Light Sensitivity, Startle Reflexes

Last edited:
Shame people only pay attention to stuff when Fox does a segment about it.

I did watch that on Fox and I agree..

Just wondering.. have you ever seen that type of segment on MSNBC ?

I read about this just now. I believe the plastic is NOT good for ya. I might be changing to a water filter for my tap water in the near future.

But..I am now going to bed. Night all.

I fight off migraines about once a week.

Multi-light sources coupled with my photosensitivity sets it off.

If I catch it before the wrigglies blind me completely, that is to say if I close my eyes for an hour or so, I won't get the blinding gut wrenching headaches that come with the migraine.

NOt sure the cause but its clearly a genetic trait because my mother and sister also has this problem.

Shame people only pay attention to stuff when Fox does a segment about it.

I did watch that on Fox and I agree..

Just wondering.. have you ever seen that type of segment on MSNBC ?

nope, they don't have those :D

I would like to know are they talking about real migraines or just labeling any headache a migraine headache.

There is a humongous difference between the migraine headaches and all other types, and in mechanism in their triggering as well.

There is no way 18% of women suffer REAL migraine headaches - the figure is, probably, putting together all types of headaches.

And since they specifically link the chemical to estrogen level, then it is definitely NOT a real migraine.

it does not mean the other type of headache ( cluster, tension) can not have migraine-like aura - it can and it can make you the most miserable person under the sun.

the difference is in treatment options. Real migraines can not be treated, they can be prevented.
All others ( thank God) are able to be treated even in it's height of symptoms.

Fondly do I recall a lady I knew who was afflicted with flicker vertigo. She got pulled over by a cop for being a little too slow through a turning-yellow light. She ASKED him to PLEASE turn off his flashing slights as it caused her to vomit.

He refused.

But probably never will again.

I fight off migraines about once a week.

Multi-light sources coupled with my photosensitivity sets it off.

If I catch it before the wrigglies blind me completely, that is to say if I close my eyes for an hour or so, I won't get the blinding gut wrenching headaches that come with the migraine.

NOt sure the cause but its clearly a genetic trait because my mother and sister also has this problem.

wear sunglasses. Even inside. Or transitional lenses in your ordinary glasses.
That is what I do( if the room is really sunny)
If I don't have sunglasses even on a rainy/c;oudy day but on the open space - i will have a headache in the couple of hours.

Plastic tableware carries BPA risks...
icon_omg.gif

Endocrine disruptors found in water
Fri, Jun 17, 2016 - TAINTED WARE: People should avoid using plastic bottles and disposable tableware as much as possible, as they release nonylphenol and BPA, an academic said
Endocrine disruptors nonylphenol and bisphenol A (BPA) are prevalent in Taiwan’s air and drinking water, as well as most food products, researchers said, adding that exposure to the two chemicals is associated with low body weight and smaller newborns. According to a longitudinal study that surveyed more than 200 pregnant women since 2010, infants birthed by women who were exposed to high levels of nonylphenol during the second trimester of their pregnancy were 182g lighter than the average birth weight, and were 9.4 times more likely to be shorter than 90 percent of other infants, National Yang Ming University health science professor Chen Mei-lien said on Wednesday. Prenatal exposure to BPA resulted in a smaller head circumference — by 0.37cm on average — in newborns, the study found.

Nonylphenol is widely used in plastics, pesticides, detergents, dye and cosmetics, while BPA is commonly used as plasticizer, Chen said. The two substances are associated with adverse reproductive effects, such as male infertility, low sperm count and premature menstruation, Chen added. BPA had been considered an endocrine disruptor with minimal effects, but studies have shown that BPA exposure in amounts even lower than international daily intake limits can induce an estrogen-like response, Chen said. The two substances are prevalent in the environment, Chen said, adding that the study discovered that 76.4 percent of Taiwan’s food products contained nonylphenol and 97 percent contained BPA.

The two substances were also detected in random urine samples taken from the public. “Nonylphenol levels in food products in Taiwan were five to 10 times higher than those in Germany. BPA concentrations in food in Taiwan were also higher than those in Japan. Higher population density and higher consumption of plastic products might explain higher levels of nonylphenol and BPA in food in Taiwan,” Chen said, adding that “nonylphenol and BPA might also have entered the food chain via factory wastewater tainted with the chemicals.” “Drinking from plastic bottles and eating with disposable tableware should be avoided as much as possible, as the materials release nonylphenol and BPA. Even drinking water and indoor dust particles contain nonylphenol and BPA, which probably originate from furniture and clothes made with recycled plastic materials,” National Taiwan University public health professor Wang Gen-shuh said.

While the EU last year reduced the tolerable daily intake of BPA from 0.05mg per kilogram to 0.004mg per kilogram, Taiwan still does not have an intake suggestion, Wang said. “Our study shows that some infants were exposed to BPA levels that were higher than the EU’s tolerable daily intake. The government should consider formulating a maximum intake suggestion and try to reduce people’s exposure to endocrine disruptors,” Wang said. The adult daily dietary exposure to nonylphenol and BPA did not exceed international limits, they said.

Endocrine disruptors found in water - Taipei Times

BPA is an endocrine disruptor that lowers testosterone levels. Soy protein also contains an endocrine disruptor that lowers testosterone levels.

As more soy is snuck into our food supply and we use more packaging that contains BHA, testosterone levels dramatically plummet. 17% in a mere 20 years.

Forum List

Back