Dove's Real Women Campaign and what it doesnt say

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
campaigndove.jpg

Dove did a campaign showing fat girls (nothing wrong with a big girl so calm down) and saying real women have curves. A couple of problems here.

Men get a SHIT TON of flack for strip clubs, scantily clad women etc etc. Saying men only care about looks and how terrible men must be because they like eye candy and are "shallow". Have you ever heard or seen a campaign or advertising like this?

DOVE_MEN1-300x222.jpg

Ever? I've seen clubs with only big girls...Any such clubs that exist for women who wanna see some beer gut? No? Really?

So what is this about?

IMO it has to do with part of the pussification of men. Trying to shame men into liking what they like and to make them seem shallow for doing the same thing as women....but but but its different when they do it

I dont think the ads are aimed towards men. The ads are aimed towards woman to say that having some curves is not a bad thing. Its a self esteem ad. They are trying to show that the ads with very skinny woman are not the norm so you dont have to aspire to be like them.

And I prefer men with a tummy...so bring on the Beer Gut Parade.

From the Dove website:

The Dove® brand is rooted in listening to women. Based on the findings of a major global study, The Real Truth About Beauty: A Global Report, Dove® launched the Campaign for Real Beauty in 2004. The campaign started a global conversation about the need for a wider definition of beauty after the study proved the hypothesis that the definition of beauty had become limiting and unattainable. Among the study’s findings was the statistic that only 2% of women around the world would describe themselves as beautiful. Since 2004, Dove® has employed various communications vehicles to challenge beauty stereotypes and invite women to join a discussion about beauty. In 2010, Dove® evolved the campaign and launched an unprecedented effort to make beauty a source of confidence, not anxiety, with the Dove® Movement for Self-Esteem.

I dont think the ads are aimed towards men. The ads are aimed towards woman to say that having some curves is not a bad thing. Its a self esteem ad. They are trying to show that the ads with very skinny woman are not the norm so you dont have to aspire to be like them.

And I prefer men with a tummy...so bring on the Beer Gut Parade.

Yeah and then you cut on every other commercial and the guy has 8 pack abs.

Its two fold...Its saying hey curves (and fat) is ok For women....Now look at this guy showering, just the average 6 ft tall guy with washboard abs. No biggie.

And we all know men are terrible for wanting to see some eye candy but women are given nothing BUT eye candy and that's ok because men suck or something

lol...99.9% of ads have Victoria Secret type models in them. Thin and beautiful...long legs..gorgeous skin and shiny hair.

And you pick the one ad that show woman with a little meat on their bones telling woman that its ok?

And its the one ad that isnt supposed to be geared towards men..but towards woman and their self esteem.

Last edited:
How a man could 'go' with the kind of stick insect/borderline heroine addict you see on the front covers of women's fashion magazines I'll never know. Nothing to hold onto and the very real risk of breakage.

PS. ClosedCaption, don't be hatin' on us 6fters. It's hard out here for an Adonis.

lol...99.9% of ads have Victoria Secret type models in them. Thin and beautiful...long legs..gorgeous skin and shiny hair.

And you pick the one ad that show woman with a little meat on their bones telling woman that its ok?

And its the one ad that isnt supposed to be geared towards men..but towards woman and their self esteem.

True but that's the same with Ambercrombie their clothes fit a certain type.

Not just the one ad...Think a little further than this. Think "real women have curves" campaigns etc etc...now can you think of one commercial, one anything that promotes men and their "fat is ok"?

I asked a friend of mine (who is a BIG girl) if there were any websites featuring fat guys. She laughed out loud.

True but that's the same with Ambercrombie their clothes fit a certain type.

Not just the one ad...Think a little further than this. Think "real women have curves" campaigns etc etc...now can you think of one commercial, one anything that promotes men and their "fat is ok"?

I asked a friend of mine (who is a BIG girl) if there were any websites featuring fat guys. She laughed out loud.

lol..I am sure I could find one if I wasnt at work. Those sites are probably blocked here.

Honestly...you're right. I cant think of any ads for bigger men....but how many men do you know suffer self esteem issues like woman do? I am sure there are some that do. You just dont hear about it being a problem like with females.

Should we start a club?

Men have body issues too we just embrace it or if we don't embrace it we stfu about it.

You can start a club but because of the statement above you probably wont have many guys there

Men have body issues too we just embrace it or if we don't embrace it we stfu about it.

You can start a club but because of the statement above you probably wont have many guys there

ok fine...no club.

But you also just sort of proved my point. "We just embrace it, or stfu about it" So it really isnt that much of an issue? I think some woman feel more pressure to keep up with the woman that are portrayed on TV/ in ads. Dont they always say "men are visual creatures" ?

How a man could 'go' with the kind of stick insect/borderline heroine addict you see on the front covers of women's fashion magazines I'll never know. Nothing to hold onto and the very real risk of breakage.

PS. ClosedCaption, don't be hatin' on us 6fters. It's hard out here for an Adonis.

Being 6 feet tall or more is unnatural :evil:

ok fine...no club.

But you also just sort of proved my point. "We just embrace it, or stfu about it" So it really isnt that much of an issue? I think some woman feel more pressure to keep up with the woman that are portrayed on TV/ in ads. Dont they always say "men are visual creatures" ?

No it is an issue just one where are dude just deals with it. IMO women feel pressured by everything its all just mental.

Men are visual so we like to see all skinny, short, fat, tall....not just the toothpicks. But it seems that even tho women like different types of guys only one type is represented in public. Hell I've even seen big girl strip clubs before. A big dude strip club was another suggestion that got huge laughs from my friend :lol:

Of course it is mental. :)

i have never heard of a "big" girl strip club. I would have to go just to say I have been.

It all comes down to what sells.

i have never heard of a "big" girl strip club. I would have to go just to say I have been.

I'm afraid to look for a pic on this computer but trust me. And I don't mean some girls with curves. Im talking about the Kool-Aid Man's stunt double type of big girl

I'm afraid to look for a pic on this computer but trust me. And I don't mean some girls with curves. Im talking about the Kool-Aid Man's stunt double type of big girl

ok..maybe not on the to-do list.

But to each their own. I like my (well placed) curves lol.

Forum List

Back