"Bishop" Romney Urged Single Mother to give up Baby

Actually..I kinda picture you in a Nazi uniform stuffing muslims into ovens..if you had a chance..

Not stuffing Muslims into ovens, perhaps, but certainly advocating the Herman Cain ‘final solution,’ where Muslim Americans must alone be subject to a background check prior to employment, the First Amendment be damned.

You're talking out of your ass sallow. We have many catholic research and medical facilities here in kc that serve the very poor and specifically children. Without them MANY would have died.

Your selfish political desires be DAMNED. And I'm not even a believer.

Not "selfish" at all. Most of those research centers accept government funding...or did you forget about the "Faith Based Initiatives".

I think that's Unconstitutional.

Unfortunately no one has the stones to challenge it in court.

So you believe the money given to religious medical institutions that seek cures and save the lives of children with parents that couldn't otherwise afford the medical procedures to save their children is bad

BUT

GIVING MONEY TO COMPANIES LIKE SOLYNDRA AND GM IS JUST FINE?

Your priorities are fucked dude.

Yep.

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

And the Constitution backs me on that.

Actually..I kinda picture you in a Nazi uniform stuffing muslims into ovens..if you had a chance..

Not stuffing Muslims into ovens, perhaps, but certainly advocating the Herman Cain ‘final solution,’ where Muslim Americans must alone be subject to a background check prior to employment, the First Amendment be damned.

We're talking about the *T* here.

He wouild be an oven stuffer..and happily.

It doesn’t make any difference whether the incident occurred or not, the fact remains Mormons are part of the social conservative movement, arrogant rightists who wish to dictate to Americans how to conduct their personal lives. Like all conservatives they are authoritarian, advocates of empowering the state to limit individual liberty in violation of the Constitution and rule of law.

Thank you for demonstrating you dont understand mormonism or conservatism.

We invite people to do good. We do so because doing good makes people happy. But It's their choice.

The fact that you want to screw your life over is your own business. But you sure as heck dont have to the right to force yourselves on the rest of us.

I put that egotistical bloviating fool on ignore a long time ago.

How much religion did Romney impose on Massachusettes when he was governor?

How much secularism is obama trying to impose on Christian churches and institutions?

Seems like if someone is trying to avoid religious imposition they should be voting Romney.

It's a sick tactic used by the left...fear.

It is widely accepted by most that the Founders used Judeo-Christain principles to acknowledge that ALL rights of the individual come from a higher power-God.

They acknowledged it in thier writings. Had they wanted a theocracy? They had the oppritunity to make it so...and even after winning independence, sucessive generations could have gone for it...MADE this Republic a theocracy...they didn't.

Why?

Respect for law, the individual...and more importantly? It was forbidden in The Constitution.

First Amendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Now as everyone knows? The Constitution may be amended...and there's been ample oppritunity up to now.

So those that use the Theocracy fear tactic are being disingenuous...intellectually lazy...in thier effort to persuade others.

They're going to have to come up with a better argument than the one they front.

How much secularism is obama trying to impose on Christian churches and institutions?

Seems like if someone is trying to avoid religious imposition they should be voting Romney.

Obama didn't "impose" anything on anybody. What he should have done was call an immediate halt to tax payer funding of religious organizations..and tax any "for profit" business run by anyone. If you are "for profit" and you have employees..you should follow the law.

Obama chickened out on this..probably because he's a semi zombified Christian..like the rest of them. Christians swear fealty to the bible above the United States Constitution.

It's repulsive and disgusting.

Surely you are equally as repulsive and disgusting.

Rather than two sides trying to drag the other into their concept of repulsive and disgusting, the nation should peaceably divide so that neither side has to be repulsive and disgusting.

Not "selfish" at all. Most of those research centers accept government funding...or did you forget about the "Faith Based Initiatives".

So you believe the money given to religious medical institutions that seek cures and save the lives of children with parents that couldn't otherwise afford the medical procedures to save their children is bad

BUT

Yep.

None of that addresses what i posted or your twisted idea of what's important.

The lefts disdain for religious beliefs and activities is similar to another historical character.

Obama didn't "impose" anything on anybody. What he should have done was call an immediate halt to tax payer funding of religious organizations..and tax any "for profit" business run by anyone. If you are "for profit" and you have employees..you should follow the law.

Obama chickened out on this..probably because he's a semi zombified Christian..like the rest of them. Christians swear fealty to the bible above the United States Constitution.

It's repulsive and disgusting.

Surely you are equally as repulsive and disgusting.

Rather than two sides trying to drag the other into their concept of repulsive and disgusting, the nation should peaceably divide so that neither side has to be repulsive and disgusting.

Conservatives tried that once before..and got their asses royally kicked.

Listen..this country was started by Liberals..and meant to be enjoyed by most everyone. That's why we don't have a Constitution that supports any one group or religion. The public space is meant for everyone..and all views are tolerated.

If you don't like our Liberal land..start a new land. Call it Conservatopia.

Islands for Sale, Private Islands, Luxury Real Estate

You can have a king..or aristocracy..or theocracy..or whatever.

BUT

Yep.

None of that addresses what i posted or your twisted idea of what's important.

The lefts disdain for religious beliefs and activities is similar to another historical character.

Sure it does.

Enacting laws that funnel tax money to religious organizations is strictly forbidden.

A book about a candidate during an election year just HAS to be full of facts... Although, facts don't sell as well as sensationalism, but aren't ALL authors in it for the facts and not book sales?

:lmao:

Read about it here...

Bishop Romney Pressured Single Mother To Give Up Baby, Book Says

Peggie Hayes had converted to Mormonism as a teenage along with her family, and told the book’s authors, Boston Globe reporters Michael Kranish and Scott Helman, that for a long time she found comfort in the faith’s teachings. After returning to the congregation as a 23-year-old divorced single mother, she soon got pregnant with a second child. Knowing she was in need of financial assistance, the Romneys arranged for her to do odd jobs for members of the congregation.

“Mitt was really good to us,” Hayes told the authors. “He did a lot for us.”

But while Hayes considered Romney a friend, he was also her bishop—which meant it was his job to pass along sometimes-harsh church counsel. The tension between the two relationships came to the forefront one day when he came over to her apartment, and encouraged her to turn her son over to the church’s adoption agency when he was born. (The church’s position is that if a happy marriage between parents of a newborn seems unlikely, adoption is preferable to single parenting.)

Hayes was offended by the suggestion, and told Romney she would never give up her son. But, according to Hayes, Romney told her, “Well, this is what the church wants you to do, and if you don’t, then you could be excommunicated for failing to follow the leadership of the church.”

Though she was defiant, the authors write, “In that moment, she also felt intimidated. Here was Romney, who held great power as her church leader and was the head of a wealthy, prominent Belmont family, sitting in her gritty apartment making grave demands.”

This woman had the good sense to get the hell out of Mormonism after that.
"a book says". I'd wait for confirmation by one of the parties; if he did so, maybe Romney felt the young woman wasn't prepared for parenting, maybe SHE expressed uncertainty or a desire to place the child up for adoption. Maybe her parents urged her to allow them to adopt. This is a report, about a report. UNCERTAIN.

NOTE:

Romney would later deny that he ever threatened excommunication, and a review of the LDS church guidelines shows that the church does not often excommunicate members in situations like this. As bishop, Romney didn’t have unilateral authority to excommunicate Hayes--that decision would have been made by a council of regional lay leaders after discussing the matter with her—and failing to give up a child for adoption is not considered a grave sin.

Last edited:
Liberals advise women daily about killing unborn children and somehow THIS is the issue you want to latch onto.

Desperation

I think there's a major difference between supporting a woman's right to choose and using your position as a church elder to pressure someone in a weaker economic position into doing something they don't want.

I don't know of any liberal who "advises" women to have abortions. Most people who are "pro-choice" think that should be a decision between a woman and her doctor.

Liberals advise women daily about killing unborn children and somehow THIS is the issue you want to latch onto.

Desperation

I think there's a major difference between supporting a woman's right to choose and using your position as a church elder to pressure someone in a weaker economic position into doing something they don't want.

I don't know of any liberal who "advises" women to have abortions. Most people who are "pro-choice" think that should be a decision between a woman and her doctor.

Let Romney have a say in this condemnation:

NOTE:

Romney would later deny that he ever threatened excommunication, and a review of the LDS church guidelines shows that the church does not often excommunicate members in situations like this. As bishop, Romney didn’t have unilateral authority to excommunicate Hayes--that decision would have been made by a council of regional lay leaders after discussing the matter with her—and failing to give up a child for adoption is not considered a grave sin.

We have no idea how much of this is true or who said what. After all the left is still insisting that George Zimmerman called Trayvon Martin a coon.

Urging a teen age single mom to give up a baby that she can't support and can't take care of makes good sense. After all, wouldn't the left prefer there be no baby at all, that it be murdered while still in the womb? The anger on the left is that there is a live baby.

Again, I always find this amusing, that you really think anyone wants abortions to happen.

It's a logical fallacy.

I would prefer there be less abortions. BUt you know what, with all the good jobs being sent overseas by the Romneys of the world, it's not like anyone can have five kids on a union salary like my parents did. Usually, it's two parents working three jobs and limiting themselves to one or two kids.

If so called conservatives were really concerned with reducing the number of abortions, they'd support family and medical leave, they'd support living wage laws, they'd support universal health care.

BUT

Yep.

OMG! How is one specific religion established by a law that respects them all equally? Or is comprehension just not one of your strong suits? <rhetorical question>

Forum List

Back