Bill Still's Money Masters

That the increase of population is necessarily limited by the means of subsistence,

of course with 5 billion people living way beyond subsistence, with new energy sources, with 2 billion more about to enter the middle class way beyond subsistence and 200 years after Malthus, we can only conclude even he would be shocked at what turned out to be perfect ignorance; perhaps the most perfect ignorance in all of human history.

That you would be his follower is like be a follower of Adolf Hitler or Dennis Rodman. Its 100% crazy!!

Last edited:
Malthus wasn't predicting anything for any time. He was more an historian, extrapolating the past into the future. His own words(which you probably never read):
Must it not then be acknowledged by an attentive examiner of the histories of mankind, that in every age and in every State in which man has existed, or does now exist

That the increase of population is necessarily limited by the means of subsistence,

That population does invariably increase when the means of subsistence increase, and,
That the superior power of population is repressed, and the actual population kept equal to the means of subsistence, by misery and vice.[9]
(footnotes are here: Thomas Robert Malthus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

If you haven't noticed, the population has increased as the means of subsistence has increased over these last two centuries. But what you can't seem to grasp is that that increase in the means of subsistence has been only temporary. It came from fossil fuels. Oil to power the tractors, deliver the food, and make pesticides, and natural gas for fertilizer and pesticides. Most of the science behind the 'Green Revolution' was in ways to convert fossil fuel energy into food energy.

And I'd like you to show some kind of source for that "resources are expanding far far faster than ever in human history" crap. I happen to know that world oil supply up until around 1970 grew at an annual rate of about 7%, but today they're lucky to get 2%. Never mind gold extraction seems to have peaked around 2000. I'll bet you can't.

But what you can't seem to grasp is that that increase in the means of subsistence has been only temporary.

Temporary?
How long before we run out of food?
Do we have another couple of hundred years?

of course with 5 billion people living way beyond subsistence,

Ah, no. That's 2 billion hungry, about 4 billion getting enough to eat and only 1 billion living way beyond subsistence.

with new energy sources,

I told ya Eddie, tar sands, heavy oil and deep sea have been known for decades. They were just too hard and expensive to get to while the cheap and easy stuff lasted. That we're relying on them for new production kind of proves the cheap and easy oil is gone.

with 2 billion more about to enter the middle class way beyond subsistence

Pay attention Ed. That idiot is wrong. There aren't 2 billion people in China now, and with a 1/2 percent growth rate, they're not getting there in 10 years, so what he said is impossible.
And yet you still quote his wildly optimistic predictions as if they were the bible.

and 200 years after Malthus, we can only conclude even he would be shocked at what turned out to be perfect ignorance; perhaps the most perfect ignorance in all of human history.

That you would be his follower is like be a follower of Adolf Hitler or Dennis Rodman. Its 100% crazy!!

Nah, it's pretty well proven that you're the crazy one. Rodman and Hilter have nothing to do with each other, and even less to do with Malthus.

But what you can't seem to grasp is that that increase in the means of subsistence has been only temporary.

Temporary?

Who said "run out"? We'll never "run out" of food, because food grows all the time. The question is, can we increase the food supply enough to feed the entire human population?

The answer is, of course, not forever. And indications are that with climate change affecting food production(see the enormous drought in the mid-west for example), and increasing energy costs, and increasing population, "not forever" is right around the corner. In the meantime, expect higher costs at the grocery store!

Temporary?

Who said "run out"? We'll never "run out" of food, because food grows all the time. The question is, can we increase the food supply enough to feed the entire human population?

The answer is, of course, not forever. And indications are that with climate change affecting food production(see the enormous drought in the mid-west for example), and increasing energy costs, and increasing population, "not forever" is right around the corner. In the meantime, expect higher costs at the grocery store!

The answer is, of course, not forever.

Why "of course"? Our crop yields keep increasing and birth rates are decreasing.

And indications are that with climate change affecting food production

It's true, warmer weather makes our growing seasons longer. Higher CO2 levels increases plant growth.

In the meantime, expect higher costs at the grocery store!

We could stop burning food for fuel, if we wanted lower prices.

Ah, no. That's 2 billion hungry, about 4 billion getting enough to eat and only 1 billion living way beyond subsistence.

too stupid!! even your numbers show 10 times more people on earth doing just fine 200 years after Malthus said we we out of resources, and that doesn't count the 2 billion resourse consuming asians moving into the middle class in the next 10 years.

I told ya Eddie, tar sands, heavy oil and deep sea have been known for decades. They were just too hard and expensive to get to while the cheap and easy stuff lasted. That we're relying on them for new production kind of proves the cheap and easy oil is gone.

too bad natural gas is so cheap!! I just had cheapest winter ever and with earth's population at 7 billion!! Wouldn't Malthus be surprised at how incredibly wrong he was , and that he still has retarded groupies like you.

and 200 years after Malthus, we can only conclude even he would be shocked at what turned out to be perfect ignorance; perhaps the most perfect ignorance in all of human history.

That you would be his follower is like being a follower of Adolf Hitler or Dennis Rodman. Its 100% crazy!!

Nah, it's pretty well proven that you're the crazy one. Rodman and Hilter have nothing to do with each other, and even less to do with Malthus.

dear, all three were/are crazy as would be anyone who followed them as you so blindly do with such insanity and liberalism!

Last edited:
[
The answer is, of course, not forever.

Why "of course"? Our crop yields keep increasing and birth rates are decreasing.
For now, in many places.
And indications are that with climate change affecting food production

It's true, warmer weather makes our growing seasons longer. Higher CO2 levels increases plant growth.

Longer growing seasons don't matter when you have massive drought and depleting aquifers like in the midwest and Australia. And that increased plant growth also increases the growth of weeds, increasing the need for herbicides.

In the meantime, expect higher costs at the grocery store!

We could stop burning food for fuel, if we wanted lower prices.

Amazing, a point we agree on! For at least tens years, I've been asking the question, "Do you want to drive or eat?" and America has answered that with a resounding "DRIVE!!!".

[. And indications are that with climate change affecting food production(see the enormous drought in the mid-west for example),

dear, climate change is over!! Temperatures have been going down for 10-20 years and global hurricance force has been going down for 50 years . Sorry dear that ship has sailed and the liberal has missed the boat again!!

too stupid!! even your numbers show 10 times more people on earth doing just fine 200 years after Malthus said we we out of resources, and that doesn't count the 2 billion resourse consuming asians moving into the middle class in the next 10 years.
Malthus said no such thing.
And that guy's prediction is an open question. Stop assuming it has actually happened.

too bad natural gas is so cheap!! I just had cheapest winter ever and with earth's population at 7 billion!! Wouldn't Malthus be surprised at how incredibly wrong he was , and that he still has retarded groupies like you.

We're "awash" in natural gas cause we're tapping the last resource, trapped gas and cracking open the very land on which we live.

That doesn't sound a little desperate to you?

That you would be his follower is like being a follower of Adolf Hitler or Dennis Rodman. Its 100% crazy!!

dear, all three were/are crazy as would be anyone who followed them as you so blindly do with such insanity and liberalism!

You have at least one thing very wrong. I don't "follow" Malthus, I don't "follow" anybody. I use my brain to examine claims as to their veracity. I'm sure in 1970 their were people celebrating the highest ever oil output and claiming that we'd be pumping 15 million barrels a day by 1980. They were wrong. In 1956 Hubbert predicted the peak on lower 48 oil production in 1966-1971. He was right. I like winners.

You're a loser. You're blindly following some "expert" who's opinion is based on wishful thinking and wanting to keep you blind and unaware of the facts. He seems to be doing a good job in your case.

We're "awash" in natural gas cause we're tapping the last resource,

Oh right!!!! That what Malthus said 200 years ago, and now we have 10 times the population consuming 100 times the resources, plus 2 billion people about to enter the middle class in Asia !!

See why we say a liberal will be slow, so very very slow!!

And that guy's prediction is an open question. Stop assuming it has actually happened.

We're "awash" in natural gas cause we're tapping the last resource, trapped gas and cracking open the very land on which we live.

You have at least one thing very wrong. I don't "follow" Malthus, I don't "follow" anybody. I use my brain to examine claims as to their veracity. I'm sure in 1970 their were people celebrating the highest ever oil output and claiming that we'd be pumping 15 million barrels a day by 1980. They were wrong. In 1956 Hubbert predicted the peak on lower 48 oil production in 1966-1971. He was right. I like winners.

You're a loser. You're blindly following some "expert" who's opinion is based on wishful thinking and wanting to keep you blind and unaware of the facts. He seems to be doing a good job in your case.

The very land on which we live? LOL!

Sounds resourceful to me.

You sound like a drama queen.

yes yes and Malthus said we were running low on resources 200 years ago while today the population is 10 times greater and consuming 100 times more resources, and, 2 billion people (4 times more than the earth's entire population when Malthus spoke) is set to enter the middle class in just Asia alone in the next 10 years!!!

You're a loser. You're blindly following some "expert" who's opinion is based on wishful thinking and wanting to keep you blind and unaware of the facts. He seems to be doing a good job in your case.[/QUOTE]

You sound like a drama queen.[/QUOTE]

If only it were April Fool's. :razz:

I use my brain to examine claims as to their veracity.

then how did the libturd conclude we're running out of resources when China's 1.3 billion people have just grown 7-10 % a year for 30 years and 2 billion are about to enter the middle class in Asia alone?? You see dear if we were running out people would be leaving the middle class for a lower class.

Its like global warming, libturds push it because it represents an opportunity to consolidate power in the central government. Didn't you ever read the very liberal Communist Manifesto???

[/quote]
Uh, yeah. Do you even know what fracking is? Do you know how many fracking wells there are already operating in this country? Over 500,000. I'll bet you don't live anywhere near the Marcellus shale...

[/QUOTE]

You sound like an uninformed idiot.

I use my brain to examine claims as to their veracity.

then how did the libturd conclude we're running out of resources when China's 1.3 billion people have just grown 7-10 % a year for 30 years and 2 billion are about to enter the middle class in Asia alone?? You see dear if we were running out people would be leaving the middle class for a lower class.
And again you're using some idiot commentator's prediction as if it's a fact.
Its like global warming, libturds push it because it represents an opportunity to consolidate power in the central government. Didn't you ever read the very liberal Communist Manifesto???

Then I'm not a libturd, whatever that may be, because I think the "solution" to GW is localization, not centralization.

And again you're using some idiot commentator's prediction as if it's a fact.

too stupid!! no one disagrees that China alone has been growing 7-10% a year for 30 years!

"Credit Suisse’s Second Annual Global Wealth Report shows total global wealth increased 14 percent from January 2010 to June 2011, to $231 trillion from $203 trillion a year and a half ago."

I think the "solution" to GW is localization, not centralization.

of course the experts now say temperature has gone down for the last 10--20 years; so you're seeking a solution to a problem that no longer is thought to exist.

Forum List

Back