Bill Ayers writes a children’s book.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Capitalist, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Capitalist

Capitalist Jeffersonian Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +211
    NEW YORK (AP) — Coming two weeks after Election Day, a book from President Barack Obama for some of the nation’s nonvoters: inspirational stories for children about American pioneers.
    “Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters” is a tribute to 13 groundbreaking Americans, from the first president, George Washington, to baseball great Jackie Robinson to artist Georgia O’Keeffe. It will be released Nov. 16 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers, an imprint of Random House Children’s Books, which will officially announce the new work Tuesday. Knopf declined to identify the other 10 subjects.
    Obama is not the first president to write for young people. Jimmy Carter’s “The Little Baby Snoogle-Fleejer” was published in 1995, more than a decade after he left office. More in line with Obama’s effort, Theodore Roosevelt collaborated with Henry Cabot Lodge on “Hero Tales from American History,” released in 1895, before Roosevelt was president.
    Obama’s book is illustrated by Loren Long, whose many credits include Watty Piper’s classic “The Little Engine That Could,” Randall de Seve’s “Toy Boat” and Madonna’s “Mr. Peabody’s Apples.” Long wrote and illustrated the children’s stories “Otis” and “Drummer Boy.” His cover design for “Of Thee I Sing” is a sunny impression of presidential daughters Sasha and Malia Obama walking their dog, Bo, along a grassy field.
    Random House children’s president and publisher Chip Gibson lauded the new Obama book, which is intended for readers ages 3 and up.
    “It is an honor to publish this extraordinary book, which is an inspiring marriage of words and images, history and story,” Gibson said Monday in a statement. “‘Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters’ celebrates the characteristics that unite all Americans – the potential to pursue our dreams and forge our own paths.”

2. blu

blu Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +774
    dumb dumb dumb

3. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    Huh, seems to me it says that Obama wrote (or compiled) it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,904
    He's got a whole chapter on relationships, Dick and Jane, Dick and Dick, Jane and her Gerbil

5. blu

blu Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +774
    :cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

projection?

6. Sherry

Sherry You're not the boss of me Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,073
    Even though I doubt that this took up much of his time, the perception that he'd have any time to spare on such an endeavor considering all the places his attention needs to be, once again demonstrates his inability to connect with the mood of the people.

7. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,904
    Record debt, deficits and now record poverty, yup, he's got things right where he wants them.

8. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,669
    Who wrote the book? ayres? or obie wan? wth?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  9. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    Seriously, I don't care whose name is on the cover of a book that gets children to read.

But I will say that if Obama is taking the time to write children's books, I would much rather he do the job we elected him to do while he is at that job. I don't think that is an unreasonable position to have, either.

10. blastoff

blastoff Undocumented Reg. User

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,592
    Think of how many books Barry will be able to churn out after he's unemployed in 2013.