CDZ Big government in Texas makes America less competitive

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Toronado3800, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +818
    $2.5 billion Harris County Proposition A flood bond approved

So what I'm reading here is folks in Houston have signed up to make America less competitive by using big government taxes to fight mother nature instead of using knowledge to build their homes the right way in the right places.

Full disclosure. I live in Missouri where we very much do the same embarrassing thing. So, I can recognize problems other places that we have here. Next thing you know some big government President will approve money to rebuild New Orleans!

This isn't 1875, we have Roman technology and don't need to build homes within walking distance of the river.

What can be done to discourage this type of thing? We are not Japan or Belgium. We have a large country with many perfectly fine places to build homes and businesses and we should take advantage of it instead of setting ourselves up for repeated disasters.

2. bear513

bear513 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,084
    Name a place you can go in the world with out setting you up with some type of disaster, from hurricanes / typhoons,to super volcanos like Yellowstone, to earth quakes ( one of the biggest ones on record was in Illinois) to a damn asteroid landing on you ..

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +818
    Somewhat true and I do walk outside w/o my meteorite protection umbrella lol.

But,

Do not use a single event disaster to lessen the importance of learning some places are just on active fault lines or New Orleans has obsolete civic planning or its costly to put ppl in the middle of the desert vs the middle of Kentucky.

In many ways I think we do things as a country so we can compete with the Chinese and maintain economic dominance. Poor civic planning makes us less competitive......probably something like building a house with no insulation now because its cheaper initially. In the long term not having insulation is going to cost you money. Buying people out of disaster prone zones is going to cost a little money and leave us with parks in unusual places. It will keep our great great grandchildren from having to maintain costly infrastructure though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. oldsoul

oldsoul Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,329
    I agree. It really comes down to a cost-benefit analysis for me. We need ports in good locations, San Fran. comes to mind. However, with today's infrastructure technology, do we really need large metro areas to support them in immediate proximity? In some cases we likely do. In some, the proximity of housing, shopping, industry, etc. is far less important. In those cases, when the inevitable disaster occurs, would it not be prudent, as a society, to move what we can to safer ground? Preserve history by moving the structures, and preserve human life by re-building in a safer location that is less prone to disasters.

Take New Orleans as an example. When the next hurricane/flood strikes (and it's a question of when, not if) and the city is effectively destroyed, would it make more sense to move the structures that are of historical importance and rebuild somewhere else (like maybe ABOVE sea level?), or should we just endlessly rebuild in the same spot that, inevitably, WILL flood again (it's below sea level, and next to a flood prone river too)?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. bear513

bear513 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,084

Chinese are building or built huge cities that no one lives in. So what?

6. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +818
    What does that have to do with us being less efficient? If we see them make mistakes offer advice like we would to a neighbor and let them.

7. HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35,938
    The old N.O. doesnt flood it's all the newer areas that have been built in flood planes.
    They knew better back in the day.

8. HereWeGoAgain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35,938
    Walking distance from water in Houston?

9. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +818
    How about just build where the public doesn't need to give your subdivision welfare to exist safely if my prose was too flowery.

10. HereWeGoAgain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35,938
    Harvey was a once in a thousand year flood.
    Harvey is a 1,000-year flood event unprecedented in scale