Big 12 South Clusterfuck...

Jon

The CPA
Mar 20, 2008
Fayetteville, AR
Tiebreaker Procedures - Big 12 Conference - Official Athletic Site

Assuming Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas Tech all win next week (Oklahoma is the only one with a real challenge), they will be in a 3 way tie for the Big 12 South.

So, it looks like it will come down to the BCS ranking, which gives the edge to Texas. Unless the thumping Oklahoma's giving Tech boosts them over Texas, which isn't all that unlikely. If Oklahoma loses to Oklahoma St next week, Tech goes to the Big 12 Championship.

And, of course, if one of those three teams wins the Big 12 Championship, they'll be in the national championship against the winner of Alabama/Florida (my guess is Florida). If, somehow, Missouri pulls out an upset win in the Big 12 Championship, USC sneaks into the BCS championship (assuming they win their last two games...which isn't a given).

Let's say Missouri DOES win the Big 12 and USC loses another game, who goes to the BCS championship? Utah? Or would they put the highest ranked Big 12 team left, who didn't even win their own conference, in the championship?

It's gonna get interesting.

Assuming Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas Tech all win next week (Oklahoma is the only one with a real challenge), they will be in a 3 way tie for the Big 12 South.

So, it looks like it will come down to the BCS ranking, which gives the edge to Texas. Unless the thumping Oklahoma's giving Tech boosts them over Texas, which isn't all that unlikely. If Oklahoma loses to Oklahoma St next week, Tech goes to the Big 12 Championship.

And, of course, if one of those three teams wins the Big 12 Championship, they'll be in the national championship against the winner of Alabama/Florida (my guess is Florida). If, somehow, Missouri pulls out an upset win in the Big 12 Championship, USC sneaks into the BCS championship (assuming they win their last two games...which isn't a given).

Let's say Missouri DOES win the Big 12 and USC loses another game, who goes to the BCS championship? Utah? Or would they put the highest ranked Big 12 team left, who didn't even win their own conference, in the championship?

can't say that about this game tonight tho ! :lol:

can't say that about this game tonight tho ! :lol:

Actually, it was pretty interesting. I was waiting for a brawl a la Florida International/Miami 2006. OU was looking for a fight at first, until they started dominating and didn't see the need to antagonize the Tech players.

Me and the spouse mouse grew up in OK. So OU football is a long story with us. Now we live in Mudville, oh I mean Lubbock. And there is no joy in mudville.

OU has a grudge mentality when they lose to UT. The rest of the season, their opponents pay for that loss by taking a major ass whipping. The years they beat UT, they tend to take it easy and in some cases...choke.

But, without a playoff system the entire Division I scene is just so much hot air and a popularity contest.

That's how it is when all the real competition is in one conference. I always thought this same scenario sucked about the NFL as well. They beat each other down and a scrub worms its way to the top.:lol:

That's how it is when all the real competition is in one conference. I always thought this same scenario sucked about the NFL as well. They beat each other down and a scrub worms its way to the top.:lol:

Obama's working to fix it---no worries ! :lol:

Like it's usually been in the SEC? :)

The only bad scenario here is if Mizzou somehow wins the Big 12. Even though they are only at two losses, they are too far down in the BCS to make it to the championship game, even though they would deserve it just as much as LSU did last year (hell, they should have went last year over LSU).

If that happens, it leaves either another Big 12 team or USC at #2. If USC manages to lose either of their last two games, it would assuredly leave another Big 12 team at #2. For instance, if Oklahoma moves to the #2 spot this week, and then loses the Big 12 Championship, it would poise Texas into the #2 spot.

My memory is shot, have they ever let a team play in the National Championship that didn't win their conference? I want to say yes....but it sounds so....wrong.

If they refuse Texas and Texas Tech, next in line is....Utah. As Georgia proved to Hawaii last year, being undefeated in a pisspoor conference does not make one BCS worthy.

I'm actually hoping Oklahoma continues their domination. It would cause the less chaos and would at least pit two of the best teams against each other in the championship, something we haven't seen in years. I don't think anyone's playing better than Oklahoma and Florida right now, even though I'd rather see Texas Tech win. It's tiring watching the same teams year after year, I was excited for an underdog to sneak in.

Oklahoma played for a national championship a couple or three years ago I think. They went undefeated until the conference title and lost. Then they played the for the natl championship and lost again.

The only bad scenario here is if Mizzou somehow wins the Big 12. Even though they are only at two losses, they are too far down in the BCS to make it to the championship game, even though they would deserve it just as much as LSU did last year (hell, they should have went last year over LSU).

If that happens, it leaves either another Big 12 team or USC at #2. If USC manages to lose either of their last two games, it would assuredly leave another Big 12 team at #2. For instance, if Oklahoma moves to the #2 spot this week, and then loses the Big 12 Championship, it would poise Texas into the #2 spot.

My memory is shot, have they ever let a team play in the National Championship that didn't win their conference? I want to say yes....but it sounds so....wrong.

If they refuse Texas and Texas Tech, next in line is....Utah. As Georgia proved to Hawaii last year, being undefeated in a pisspoor conference does not make one BCS worthy.

I'm actually hoping Oklahoma continues their domination. It would cause the less chaos and would at least pit two of the best teams against each other in the championship, something we haven't seen in years. I don't think anyone's playing better than Oklahoma and Florida right now, even though I'd rather see Texas Tech win. It's tiring watching the same teams year after year, I was excited for an underdog to sneak in.

You mean like it was for a rather short period of time in the mid 80's to mid 90s?

Has WHO ever played for a national championship? Texas? They were national champions 2005-2006 season. They have the 3rd winningest record in NCAA football history.

Texas Longhorns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They can't be No 1 though. They choke every time. I'd rather them be No 2.

Oklahoma's probably got the better team, even though if they're on the field they're cheating.:evil:

You mean like it was for a rather short period of time in the mid 80's to mid 90s?

Has WHO ever played for a national championship? Texas? They were national champions 2005-2006 season. They have the 3rd winningest record in NCAA football history.

Texas Longhorns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They can't be No 1 though. They choke every time. I'd rather them be No 2.

Oklahoma's probably got the better team, even though if they're on the field they're cheating.:evil:

BCS has the horns ranked 2nd---shocking really

http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfootball/

Last edited:
I really hate the NCAA Div I system.

Polls? Freaking popularity contests. The BCS computer program at least runs the numbers impartially and you can trace where breaks occur.

As I've lamented for over 25 years, there needs to be a playoff system instituted. What kills me is that if you look at all the teams with either zero or one loss, depending on the polls that team is already out of contention for a national title. Instead, the point of the season should be to darwin out all the wannabes and then put on a playoff. If you lost one game in the NFL you would be playoff bound.

I'd personally give all the conference champs a playoff berth, then any non-conference champs who still made it into the top eight or ten.

Then it is a single elimination tournament up to the bowl game for the national championship. The losing teams can save face by getting bowl berths based on their performance.

That way, there is no doubt who is the no-shit best team.

I don't think it's shocking. Someone was going to be unhappy. I actually think OU and UT should be 1 and 2.

Disagree entirely. I think Florida and OU should be 1 and 2, in no particular order. No one is playing better than those two right now. And that's hard for me to say, I hate both of those teams.

Bama's undefeated, giving them the obvious #1 spot. But December 6, we'll see what they're really made of.

Of course I knew Texas won national championships. My question was rather or not a team who didn't even win their conference ever played in the BCS championship, but it was answered.

Mizzou doesn't have a history as a football powerhouse (Missouri girl here), so they're never going to get the respect given to an LSU. Just how it is.

Although, Mizzou has choked a couple of times this season, to say the least.

Although, it was lovely to watch U of U spank those LDS asses this weekend. ;)

I'm actually hoping Oklahoma continues their domination. It would cause the less chaos and would at least pit two of the best teams against each other in the championship, something we haven't seen in years. I don't think anyone's playing better than Oklahoma and Florida right now.

True dat. As a fan of Mizzou, U of U, and Florida, I'm liking the past couple of weeks. I don't think U of U can hang with Florida, though. But, it would be interesting to see how well the program Urban Meyer built can hold up against his new program at Florida.

Last edited:
Mizzou doesn't have a history as a football powerhouse (Missouri girl here), so they're never going to get the respect given to an LSU. Just how it is.

Tell me about it. Arkansas could win out in the SEC, and they still wouldn't get any respect.

Tell me about it. Arkansas could win out in the SEC, and they still wouldn't get any respect.

Well, with Mizzou and KU (my two favorite teams on the planet), at least they get respect in the basketball season. Poor hawgs, y'all have to scratch and struggle for it all year long. It's funny with the ESPN college football announcers, too. They don't even know how to commentate a Mizzou or KU football game because they aren't used to them winning. ;)

Last edited:
Does anyone have a link that simply shows the current win/loss for all 119 D1A teams? I can get a W/L from ESPN but it is only top 25 or so.

Why would I want something so simple? Because I tried every google keyword I could come up with and couldn't find a simple chart. And, I wanna import it into a spreadsheet and see if I can make my own standings generator to see how it stacks up against the polls and BCS using my personal criteria.

TIA. All I have to return is rep. But it's yours if you help me out. :mrgreen:

Forum List

Back