Biden gaffes adding up against Obama campaign

CactusCarlos

Sep 15, 2008
WASHINGTON - Senator Joe Biden was spinning folksy one-liners with CBS News anchor Katie Couric the other night, when he offered this pearl of wisdom about how real leaders act during times of national crisis:

"When the stock market crashed (in 1929), Franklin Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the princes of greed. He said, 'Look, here's what happened' "

It was a great sound bite except for two things: Herbert Hoover, not Roosevelt, was president at the time, and commercial television didn't exist.

More...

Heckuva job, Joe - keep 'em comin'! :eusa_clap:

Jeez, black? I have never understood how a black, gay, or working person could be for the republican party. Nothing in their platform supports people. FDR got on the radio. Great great president.

The Conservative Nanny State

CEPR - America Since 1980: A Right Turn Leading to a Dead End

A vote for McCain/Palin is a vote against the fundamental principle of America, the right of the individual to lead their life privately without the government interfering.

Last edited:
This is the third time this has been posted, and you're the third person who didn't know that FDR wasn't President during the stock market crash.

No where did I say it was when the market crashed, Biden did and he is actually correct because the crash was a part of the entire episode. Then as now the incompetent republicans didn't have a clue and pretty much did nothing, it was up to FDR to correct the greed party's ways.

American Rhetoric: Franklin Delano Roosevelt - First Fireside Chat ("The Banking Crisis")

"My friends:

I want to talk for a few minutes with the people of the United States about banking -- to talk with the comparatively few who understand the mechanics of banking, but more particularly with the overwhelming majority of you who use banks for the making of deposits and the drawing of checks.

I want to tell you what has been done in the last few days, and why it was done, and what the next steps are going to be. I recognize that the many proclamations from State capitols and from Washington, the legislation, the Treasury regulations, and so forth, couched for the most part in banking and legal terms, ought to be explained for the benefit of the average citizen. I owe this, in particular, because of the fortitude and the good temper with which everybody has accepted the inconvenience and hardships of the banking holiday. And I know that when you understand what we in Washington have been about, I shall continue to have your cooperation as fully as I have had your sympathy and your help during the past week."

delivered 12 March 1933, Washington D.C.

There is some wild speculation out there that these gaffes are by design and being done on purpose to provide the democrats with an excuse to drop him from the ticket so Obama can pick a better running mate.

There is some wild speculation out there that these gaffes are by design and being done on purpose to provide the democrats with an excuse to drop him from the ticket so Obama can pick a better running mate.
That's the best explanation I've heard so far.

You couldn't be more wrong. May I recommend a visit to the National Black Republican Association website? You'll have to ask the Log Cabin Republicans what they see in their association with the right.

I find the concept of a black republican unpalatable, as I do a gay republican, or even a working person republican. But that is me, I've been there, not as a republican but during the sixties as a regular mostly white person. The values and goals of your site are fine and I understand the change from Lincoln's republicanism to LBJ's loss of the democratic South. I am wondering how you reconcile the South with your republicanism as they'd still give you a hard time in those back roads areas. What do you think of McCain's loss in 2000 over racist tactics?

PS my brother is gay and I only know one gay republican, a relative who came out late and whose family is the staunchest republicans. LOL

This is the third time this has been posted, and you're the third person who didn't know that FDR wasn't President during the stock market crash.

and you don't see the humor in reminding us all that it was a Republican president who was in office when the market crashed and it was a Democrat who fixed it :clap2:

Forum List

Back