Biden Administration Urges Court Not to Allow Release of ‘Secret Report’ on Dominion Voting Machines

I think by law they arent supposed to be connected to the net. I’m not sure why they have the capability to be or why a jurisdiction would purchase machines that have that capability
Just because they are not connected to the Internet does not mean they are not exploitable; it’s just that it is not as easy to exploit a machine.

Hmmm? I wonder why. I mean, there's no there there, is there? Oh, some lame excuse will do though.

Top officials at a U.S. federal cybersecurity agency are urging a judge not to authorize at this time the release of a report that analyzes Dominion Voting Systems equipment in Georgia, arguing doing so could assist hackers trying to “undermine election security.”
The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) was recently provided an unredacted copy of the report, which was prepared by J. Alex Halderman, director of the University of Michigan Center for Computer Security and Society.
The report discusses “potential vulnerabilities in Dominion ImageCast X ballot marking devices,” or electronic voting devices, according to the government.
While CISA supports public disclosure of any vulnerabilities and associated mitigation measures with election equipment, allowing the release of the report at this point “increases the risk that malicious actors may be able to exploit any vulnerabilities and threaten election security,” government lawyers said in a Feb. 10 filing in the case.
The case was brought in 2017 by good-government groups and voters who say the lack of paper ballots undermines the voting process.
U.S. District Judge Amy Totenberg, an Obama nominee overseeing the case, was urged by CISA to reject attempts to release a redacted version of Halderman’s report for now.
CISA officials want to review the information in the report and help Dominion resolve the vulnerabilities identified before the report is released. They said they weren’t able to provide a date by which they’ll be finished.
Totenberg must weigh the request against the wishes of Georgia Secretary State Brad Raffensperger, a Republican and one of the defendants, who called in late January for the release to happen immediately.

Potential vulnerability in a machine designed to skew the count. Yeah, makes perfect sense

Just because they are not connected to the Internet does not mean they are not exploitable; it’s just that it is not as easy to exploit a machine.
If a machine isn't connected and doesn't even have the ability to connect to the internet, the only way you could exploit it would be to have physical access to that machine. Unless you know of some other way of doing it. That would make it exceedingly difficult to compromise any significant number of the machines or it would have to involve a huge number of people which would exponentially increase the chance of you getting caught.

Sounds to me like the admin is admitting there are potential vulnerabilities that could be exploited by hackers. That admission should be all that is required to ban the use of the machines. Don't you agree?

Not if the vulnerabilities can be fixed.

If a machine isn't connected and doesn't even have the ability to connect to the internet, the only way you could exploit it would be to have physical access to that machine. Unless you know of some other way of doing it. That would make it exceedingly difficult to compromise any significant number of the machines or it would have to involve a huge number of people which would exponentially increase the chance of you getting caught.
Do the machines have any network connectivity at all or are they each air-gapped?

That we have to keep asking all of this means there is a lot of foot dragging and bringing even more distrust in our growing Soviet style government. You cannot have integrity when your government that is supposed to serve you, actually rules you.

allowing the release of the report at this point “increases the risk that malicious actors may be able to exploit any vulnerabilities and threaten election security,” government lawyers said
I thought no Dominion machines were online. So what's the problem? Something doesn't jive with what we've been told.

Do the machines have any network connectivity at all or are they each air-gapped?
They are not supposed to be connected in any way though I think I remember reading that some group found a bunch that were for some reason. The network capability should be disabled and that capability should be hard wire only. There shouldnt be any reason to have a nonhardwire connection on those machines. I dont know that that's the case but if it isnt the Government shouldnt purchase them. Honestly there's no real reason for them to have any connectivity capability at all really.

I agree, but as the old saying goes "Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without".
Fair, though I've never heard that one before. What makes no sense is that they have any ability to connect to the net. There's no good reason for that to be part of their load out which would make any vulnerabilities much less worrisome.

Resnic
I agree. They should be having the report sent to all new agencies and every newspaper.

Guess the report doesn't say what they want it to say. Hell Texas investigated Dominion and didn't like what they found and refused to use those machines. I'm sure Texas authorities could shed some light on that report.

Elections are supposed to be transparent.
So how in the hell can releasing the machines be a vulnerability?
Unless of course they have something to hide just like the thousands of hours of video they refuse to release about Jan 6.
Releasing details of proprietary software can make them vulnerable
The Software has been independently V&V’d
What is the “need to know” of the General Public?

Releasing details of proprietary software can make them vulnerable
The Software has been independently V&V’d
What is the “need to know” of the General Public?
They could take out the technical details which kill that argument. Also dont connnect them to the internet.

Its an investigation paid for by the public that has to do with equipment purchased by the public, on elections voted on by the public so they have some vested interest.
They have a need to know that the Software has been thoroughly evaluated and whether there are serious issues or not.
They do not need to know the details of the Software architecture or how to jeopardize it

They have a need to know that the Software has been thoroughly evaluated and whether there are serious issues or not.
They do not need to know the details of the Software architecture or how to jeopardize it
I said eliminate the tech details. If the machines are secure and that's what the report says what's the big deal? Also if the last Admin were doing this you would be crying foul.

Forum List

Back