Biblical Morality 43: John

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by SarnDuro, Jun 23, 2006.

1. SarnDuro

SarnDuro Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4
    g

2. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Hey Sarn,

Glad to see another essay. I'll have to respond later. However, did you not read Mark and Luke? Or did you just not post anything about them?

3. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    I think you nailed it. He's saying don't be afaid of speaking truth to power, and calling out evil where you see it. And don't be ashamed of being a christian. In fact, we see many people today who ARE ashamed of being christian due to the anti-christian spin in the media and it's association with hillbillyism.
    No. That's new age hippy communist talk.
    Similar to the jews reconquista of Israel as a sign of prophecy?
    That's paranoia. You only beleive that because you don't ACTUALLY BELIEVE christ's message, thus saying someone's heart is hard to it means nothing. You're reading this too cynically.
    Yes. They certainly appear to be a pack of craven, deceitful, liars, more interested in their worldy power than the truth.
    Wrong interpretation could indeed generate a plethora of wrongness.
    The fact is we live in a hierarchical world. I don't think jesus referring to that fact is an ENDORSEMENT per se.
    Again. I don't think it condones denying christ. it's simply an admonition that people lie when they are scared and nobody is perfect. You're really hung up on this "implicit condoning" thing.
    THis is easy. It's not tortured. Sinners are slaves to their sin. They are controlled by their bad habits. Slaves to the devil maybe?
    Not duplicates, but perhaps having the same moral proclivites due to being brouht up in the same or similar relgious tradition. You're going out of you way to make things seem nonsensical.
    Uncompromising in Us v. Them? No that would be having a faith be handed down genetically.

4. Joz

Joz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    And were we not told that, those people who profess God, would be despised? It's not a very popular stand to make.

5. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511

Exactly.