Biblical Morality 40, the book of Matthew

SarnDuro said:
Can a believer listen to the unbeliever? ‘”Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognise them,”’ (7:15). If this is intended to be strictly literal, then it’s probably not a bad idea. Don’t listen to liars. But by which fruit shall we recognize them? Strictly speaking, prophets speak of the future and utter the words of God. By what criteria do we evaluate them? Are we prophets? Then how do we know the world of God except by comparing one prophet to another? There is the matter of specific prophecies coming true, and more on this later. In a more general sense, what does this mean? Shall we take it to be an injunction on listening to the advice and words of the non-Christians? The Medieval commentator Joinville, writing of Saint Louis, king of France, relates this story. A knight attended a meeting between Christians and Jews, and managed to speak first. His only words were to challenge the chief Rabbi to confirm his lack of belief in Christian principals, after which the knight struck the Rabbi down with a club and sent the Jews fleeing. Saint Louis fully approved of this act, done to defend Christians from having their beliefs questioned. ‘’So I tell you,’ said the king, ‘that no one, unless he is an expert theologian, should venture to argue with these people. But a layman, whenever he hears the Christian religion abused, should not attempt to defend its tenets, except with his sword, and that he should thrust into the scoundrel’s belly, and as far as it will enter.’’ I’ve been waiting years to relate that incident to a theological discussion. I think it demonstrates the attitude carried by verse 7:15 quite well.

Good Lord, man! This is a lot to wade through! This caught my eye, however. I disagree with both you and Saint Louis, here. We are invited to examine CHristian beliefs. I think Mt 7:15 is talking about people who claim to prophecy in the name of Jesus/Yaweh. They can be tested. At least one of thier prophecies should be fulfillable during their lives. If ANY of their prophecies is EVER proven false, then they are not true prophets. Thus, by their fruits will you know them.

SarnDuro said:
  • The New Testament is not as different from the Old as I expected.
  • Hell and heaven are more clearly explained here than in the OT
  • Jesus asks his followers to emphasize more our goodness to each other and somewhat less sacrifice and ritual.
  • Jesus supports an insular community of believers, but allows some means of accepting non-Jews into the fold.
  • Jesus has many cool powers, but the most impressive (if true) would be his ability to inspire people with no apparent method.
  • The prophecies of Old Testament prophets concerning the birth and preaching of Jesus are vague, few in number, and often contrived.
  • This is certainly the longest post I've ever tried to put on a message board anywhere.

Sarn, I read the long version. I'd be very interested to discuss NT theology with you after you finish reading the rest of the book.

SarnDuro said:
  • Jesus asks his followers to emphasize more our goodness to each other and somewhat less sacrifice and ritual.
  • Jesus supports an insular community of believers, but allows some means of accepting non-Jews into the fold.
  • Jesus has many cool powers, but the most impressive (if true) would be his ability to inspire people with no apparent method.
  • The prophecies of Old Testament prophets concerning the birth and preaching of Jesus are vague, few in number, and often contrived.
  • This is certainly the longest post I've ever tried to put on a message board anywhere.

:clap:

SarnDuro said:

I admire your desire to read for yourself given that you are an athiest. But I agree there is a difference between both works, what I find most interesting is the clarity you describe came after Jesus came to redeem the world as is expressed in the New Testament. People study the bible for many years, even scholars sometimes disagree with certain conclusions. Im not so sure that reading the bible is the only way to see proof of God's existance though it is the foundation. The best lesson to take from the New Testament is learning how to be a good moral person, and when you do this everything else in life falls nicely into place, and as you stated Jesus is very specific in this. The Ten Commandments were changed from the Old Testament to the New going from ten to one which is the most important one, and if you do follow that one, you are following all the Commandments. It's perfect simplicity.

SarnDuro said:
Those are, however, only very brief assertions. The arguments are the real purpose behind doing this, so feel free to read the long version if it interests you.

Nah. I'm just waiting to see who's cows you lead to the buzzsaw. :cool:

SarnDuro said:
One of the reasons I post these instead of just saving them is to get immediate suggestions and feedback. Other posters on my older boards make comments about what I should look for in later sections. So please don't be shy about mentioning anything you think I should know about.

I think it would be important to get some Jewish input.

Forum List

Back