Bible prophet murdered over words about woman's sex life...your thoughts?

So...the Bible prophet John the Baptist, who is arguably the founder of Christianity, was a man who was murdered over his words about a woman's sex life.

Do you have any thoughts on a prophet from "God" (quotes because I am an Agnostic) being murdered over critical words about a woman's sex life?

Thank you for any & all answers (feeling an increasing nausea feeling haha,)
A1977

-
John B was killed for speaking out against the marriage of Herod Antipas and his brother's wife, Herodias. Herod divorced his first wife to do so.

aris2chat

Yes...I know what happened in their relationship, but as far as his being murdered, his life ending like that at the hands of a woman whose sex life/relationship he condemned and him being a prophet a perishing like that...any thoughts?... :)

-

It was about herod's desire and a promise to the girl that pleased him by dancing that resulted in the execution. Bible says that as soon as it was done herod was sorry for the promise he made. Promise was made before the audience that was present for his birthday. Herod could not refuse.

So...the Bible prophet John the Baptist, who is arguably the founder of Christianity, was a man who was murdered over his words about a woman's sex life.

Do you have any thoughts on a prophet from "God" (quotes because I am an Agnostic) being murdered over critical words about a woman's sex life?

A1977

-
John B was killed for speaking out against the marriage of Herod Antipas and his brother's wife, Herodias. Herod divorced his first wife to do so.

aris2chat

Yes...I know what happened in their relationship, but as far as his being murdered, his life ending like that at the hands of a woman whose sex life/relationship he condemned and him being a prophet a perishing like that...any thoughts?... :)

-

It was about herod's desire and a promise to the girl that pleased him by dancing that resulted in the execution. Bible says that as soon as it was done herod was sorry for the promise he made. Promise was made before the audience that was present for his birthday. Herod could not refuse.

aris2chat

I see...thanks.

Story was about lust to me and a woman that wanted a man murdered over her lust.

The murdered man in question was a prophet too smh...sad and sickening I say as I laugh haha.

-

A1977

-

My only thoughts are that this was a couple thousand years ago and things were kind of different then.

A1977

-

My only thoughts are that this was a couple thousand years ago and things were kind of different then.

As "God is Eternal" what went on in the life of one of His prophets would be an all time subject I think...

-

A1977

-

As "God is Eternal" what went on in the life of one of His prophets would be an all time subject I think...

-

After 2000 years the news is kind of old.

A1977

-

-

After 2000 years the news is kind of old.

Yes the New Testament has certainly been here a while...but the Bible says that God does not change. Malachi 3:6:

"'For I am the Lord, I do not change;..."

Kind of makes God-based discussion always current haha.

-

Naturally, confusion seems to reign. From Matthew:

3 Now Herod had arrested John and bound him and put him in prison because of Herodias, his brother Philip’s wife, 4 for John had been saying to him: “It is not lawful for you to have her. 5 Herod wanted to kill John, but he was afraid of the people, because they considered John a prophet.

Quite clearly, John's criticizing the KING, not the woman, was what landed him in prison and put a target on his back. The woman eventually had him executed, but it was his comments to the king that attracted attention in the first place.

Prophets were often treated this way, because they were a royal thorn in the side of those in authority.

Lolol

No confusion, hadit lol...actually the accounts vary from Gospel to Gospel, but she in all of the Gospels was the force behind John's murder. :)

-
They both wanted him dead, as clearly shown. He, however, feared John's popularity more than she did.

irosie91 SassyIrishLass

Interesting sidenote to this Bible story...actually a man marrying his brother's ex-wife was not necessarily against any rule that a Roman tetrarch would be under...so it sounds to me like in the story that John was speaking against the lustfulness of their relationship when he said that it is not "lawful for you to have her," and it sounds like his speaking against their lust what was moved the woman to have him murdered...

-
When John speaks of the law, he's not speaking of Roman law, but Mosaic law.

Naturally, confusion seems to reign. From Matthew:

3 Now Herod had arrested John and bound him and put him in prison because of Herodias, his brother Philip’s wife, 4 for John had been saying to him: “It is not lawful for you to have her. 5 Herod wanted to kill John, but he was afraid of the people, because they considered John a prophet.

Quite clearly, John's criticizing the KING, not the woman, was what landed him in prison and put a target on his back. The woman eventually had him executed, but it was his comments to the king that attracted attention in the first place.

Prophets were often treated this way, because they were a royal thorn in the side of those in authority.

Lolol

No confusion, hadit lol...actually the accounts vary from Gospel to Gospel, but she in all of the Gospels was the force behind John's murder. :)

-
They both wanted him dead, as clearly shown. He, however, feared John's popularity more than she did.

Actually the Bible says that the king (or whatever) regretted his pledge to fulfill any promise and that it was the woman who wanted him murdered.

-

irosie91 SassyIrishLass

Interesting sidenote to this Bible story...actually a man marrying his brother's ex-wife was not necessarily against any rule that a Roman tetrarch would be under...so it sounds to me like in the story that John was speaking against the lustfulness of their relationship when he said that it is not "lawful for you to have her," and it sounds like his speaking against their lust what was moved the woman to have him murdered...

-

Roman tetrarchs aren't under Mosaic law...that's actually plainly stated in the Bible...can I ask you where that is plainly stated? :lol::lol::lol:

-

Last edited:
irosie91 SassyIrishLass

-

Roman tetrarchs aren't under Mosaic law...that's actually plainly stated in the Bible...can I ask you where that is plainly stated? :lol::lol::lol:

-
I didn't say it was plainly stated. I'm working from the standpoint that John cared far less about Roman law than he did Mosaic law.

irosie91 SassyIrishLass

-

-
I didn't say it was plainly stated. I'm working from the standpoint...

Right. You don't know what you're talking about...

-

irosie91 SassyIrishLass

-

-

-
You can show where what I said is wrong?

irosie91 SassyIrishLass

-

-

-

Yes. LOLOLOL

But you ran your mouth. You show it. LOLOLOL

-

Last edited:
[QUOTE="hadit, post: 13066946, member: 44342"

Prophets were often treated this way, because they were a royal thorn in the side of those in authority.[/QUOTE]

Most regrettably, the authorities that time were also not consequent enough.
Otherwise we would have less problems with that batshit today.

-

-

Yes. LOLOLOL

-
IOW, no, you cannot.

A1977

-

I am not familiar with that story------I thought herod's daughter wanted his head----
??? I have no idea why. I can say that in those days----in Judea----comments
on a woman of an intimate physical nature were considered absolutely off limits----
even on a superficial physical feature

Hi rosie, :) I see...actually the story is that John said that a relationship that a woman was having should not be going on...the woman later through her daughter got John murdered in prison.

Nauseating really...literally getting sickened lol

-
yeah----that woman was ---I think the first wife of Herod? who then married someone else ??-------or who had a husband before and THEN married Herod? ---
or something like that -------John was against a marriage that existed

Not sure of the minor details but he was murdered by her (ultimately) because he spoke against her relationship.

Sick sick sick lol.

If you're a self proclaimed agnostic why do you even care? What's your point? Guess there isn't one, just hard up to start a nonsensical thread, huh?

A1977

-

does not seem so different to me. People are murdered every day over all sorts of seemingly trivial things

-

-

Yes. LOLOLOL

-
IOW, no, you cannot.

You stupid mother******, Jesus was judged by the Roman authorities to have not violated any Roman laws but had violated Hebrew laws showing that the Roman authorities were not under Hebrew law.

Stop worrying about s***ing my ***k and get a life you lifeless p.o.s.

-

-

Yes. LOLOLOL

-
IOW, no, you cannot.

You stupid mother******, Jesus was judged by the Roman authorities to have not violated any Roman laws but had violated Hebrew laws showing that the Roman authorities were not under Hebrew law.

Stop worrying about s***ing my ***k and get a life you lifeless p.o.s.

-
Wow, you went juvenile in a hurry.

Forum List

Back