Bhutan: The Indian Army’s Front Line

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
I am glad India is taking Bhutan's security challenges seriously and beginning to provide it with the the support it needs.

---

China, with its increasingly aggressive moves along its Himalayan borders, seems to be employing the same methodology it has used in its ongoing takeover of the near-entirety of the South China Sea. This gives the Indian government good reason to worry that Beijing might also muscle its way into its lands, just as it has annexed territory over the objections of South China Sea claimants Vietnam, the Philippines, Taiwan, Malaysia, and, most recently, Indonesia.

This probably explains why the road leading up from the Indian and Bhutanese military bases in the picturesque Paro Valley is rapidly being widened and paved, almost entirely by imported Indian laborers, often working by hand. Residents say the Indian government, for decades a protector of sorts for a deeply Buddhist Bhutan that sympathizes with Tibet, is paying for the road-building out of its worries about China. Locals expect that the road will soon be paved all the way to the rudimentary base at Gunitsawa, far up the valley. It is conceivable that next year the Indian army will also provide heavy-lift helicopters to supply the Bhutanese checkpoints high in the Himalayas, allowing the Bhutanese army to put its hard-working horses out to pasture, while increasing its vigilance on the border with China.

Bhutan The Indian Army s Front Line The Diplomat

Bhutan, a country that kicked out almost a third of its population in an ethnic cleansing spree, has had no defined borders with China since it became a nation.
China is talking at the negotiation table; India sends troops.

Bhutan, a country that kicked out almost a third of its population in an ethnic cleansing spree, has had no defined borders with China since it became a nation.

I am glad India is taking steps to ensure that China does not engage in the kind of negotiation it engaged in Tibet. You do not know the meaning of the word negotiation. You are confusing genocide with negotiation.

I am glad India is taking steps to ensure that China does not engage in the kind of negotiation it engaged in Tibet. You do not know the meaning of the word negotiation. You are confusing genocide with negotiation.

Better take a look at Bhutan, so we can see what you're defending.

Addressing Bhutan s Refugee Crisis Through the Courts The Diplomat

A recent op-ed in the New York Times by a Nepali-Bhutanese refugee named Vidhyapati Mishra has renewed interest in the often-overlooked refugee crisis of Bhutan, the “happiest nation in the world.” About a quarter-century ago, tens of thousands of Bhutanese of Nepali extraction (often referred to as “Lhotshampas”) lost their citizenship due to a 1985 law and either fled to refugee camps in neighboring countries or remained in Bhutan but without citizenship, due to the country’s continued policies of strict ethnic nationalism.

Bhutanese Refugees Are Killing Themselves at an Astonishing Rate - The Atlantic

Bhutanese Refugees Are Killing Themselves at an Astonishing Rate
How unemployment, depression, and a lack of family ties lead to extreme desperation.

A primer on plight of Bhutanese refugees - LancasterOnline News

In 1989, Bhutan reclassified the descendants of the Nepali settlers as "illegal immigrants." The government required ethnic Nepalese to wear the Bhutanese national dress and banned the Nepali language in schools.

Mass demonstrations by ethnic Nepalese prompted a government crackdown, leading to nighttime raids of homes and imprisonment. Reports of torture, rape and murder in 1991 set off a mass exodus to Nepal from southern Bhutan.

Wow, what a lovely, happy place. Our OP is defending a monster.
In doing so, he's defending ethnic cleansing, torture, rape and mass murder.
However, China has not attacked the country, just negotiated.

Visit not connected to Bhutan-China border talks Pranab Mukherjee - The Economic Times

At that time, China had made a strong pitch to improve relations with Bhutan and expressed readiness for an early and "fair" solution to their boundary dispute.

Some ethnic Nepalese even escaped into Tibet; Chinese govt. didn't want to take them in at the very start, but finally admitted them and belonged them into Tibetan when identified them. I even saw their photos before.

Some ethnic Nepalese even escaped into Tibet; Chinese govt. didn't want to take them in at the very start, but finally admitted them and belonged them into Tibetan when identified them. I even saw their photos before.

What, they left the wonderful Indian protected country to go to oppressive, evil China?
I just don't believe you - or the OP is bullshit. :)

What, they left the wonderful Indian protected country to go to oppressive, evil China?

You should not believe her/his post but you are not bright enough to know that.

There are no Nepalese escaping into China. On the contrary, Tibetans are escaping to India through Nepal. Nepalese government despite knowing that the Tibetan refugees will be killed by Chinese is handing them back to China when they are caught on their desparate journey.

Better take a look at Bhutan, so we can see what you're defending.

Addressing Bhutan s Refugee Crisis Through the Courts The Diplomat

A recent op-ed in the New York Times by a Nepali-Bhutanese refugee named Vidhyapati Mishra has renewed interest in the often-overlooked refugee crisis of Bhutan, the “happiest nation in the world.” About a quarter-century ago, tens of thousands of Bhutanese of Nepali extraction (often referred to as “Lhotshampas”) lost their citizenship due to a 1985 law and either fled to refugee camps in neighboring countries or remained in Bhutan but without citizenship, due to the country’s continued policies of strict ethnic nationalism.

Bhutanese Refugees Are Killing Themselves at an Astonishing Rate - The Atlantic

Bhutanese Refugees Are Killing Themselves at an Astonishing Rate
How unemployment, depression, and a lack of family ties lead to extreme desperation.

In 1989, Bhutan reclassified the descendants of the Nepali settlers as "illegal immigrants." The government required ethnic Nepalese to wear the Bhutanese national dress and banned the Nepali language in schools.

Mass demonstrations by ethnic Nepalese prompted a government crackdown, leading to nighttime raids of homes and imprisonment. Reports of torture, rape and murder in 1991 set off a mass exodus to Nepal from southern Bhutan.

Wow, what a lovely, happy place. Our OP is defending a monster.
In doing so, he's defending ethnic cleansing, torture, rape and mass murder.
However, China has not attacked the country, just negotiated.

Visit not connected to Bhutan-China border talks Pranab Mukherjee - The Economic Times

At that time, China had made a strong pitch to improve relations with Bhutan and expressed readiness for an early and "fair" solution to their boundary dispute.

You are an illiterate who does not know the difference between genocide and negotiation and yet you expect me to believe that you were able to comprehend those articles that you posted. None of those links serve as justification for China's land grab.

But it's recorded fact,
The government there removed about 1/3 of the population in an ethnic cleansing spree.
I'm unsure why you'd want to defend such a place.

But it's recorded fact,
The government there removed about 1/3 of the population in an ethnic cleansing spree.
I'm unsure why you'd want to defend such a place.

The country that you are defending is the one that has engaged in one of the worst ethnic cleansing humanity has seen. Whatever immigration problem Bhutan is experiencing does not justify China's intrusion in an attempt to grab land from its neighbors. By using these stupid logic, you are demonstrating to the entire board that you are nothing but a moron.

^

You have been defending (aka moaning) China in threads after thread by disrupting conversation on China. Why are you back paddling now? Are you feeling weakness in your knees? :)

You do not know a thing about China and its tactics. Here is how land grab by China works:

a. China first starts publishing maps which show territories of other countries as Chinese territories.
b. Then China starts aggressive patrolling into the neighbor's territory.
c. This leads to full scale war.
d. If the unfortunate neighbor cannot withstand Chinese assault, it gets ethnically cleansed by China, e.g., Tibet.

China has already started the aggressive patrolling in Bhutan. PLA intrudes into Bhutan at will. Now, if nothing is done then there is a risk that Bhutan will meet the tragic fate of Tibet.

Go to Google and educate yourself on what happened to Tibet. It is not my job to educate you.

Bhutan is not our concern. Unless and until the Uncle Wong's start eyeing Arunachal Pradesh or Sikkim, it's best for Modi to stay out of it.

Forum List

Back