Beware of the Electric car powered using batteries

I rent my golf cart for $1400 per year plus tax.

How Middle Class ...

It doesn't have a cigar lighter but that's what hookers are for.

Yup ... Middle Class ...

=====

The analogy was about Ferrari ... the $5,000 a month is just labor, parts will be extra ... we wouldn't pay that much with the Bentley, that's a Volkswagon product ... German engineering is better than even Mexican hookers ... honest ... just not as good as Panamanian hookers ...

You are quite the champ. You do not know me. Do not know my education. But boldly you call me as not knowing shit about electronics. When a woman disagrees with you are you just as rude? I see what happens when you discuss things with a man. I learned Ohms law by 1952, Used it a lot in my electronics courses and in physics.

What in the hell makes humans act like you did? Are you having lousy day?
Yes, we were thanking this poster for the equation not for the critique of the OP. From yesteryear is the Radio Shack text by Mims:

The R is whatever load you're discharging the capacitor through. In your hypothetical of a co-worker tossing a charged capacitor, the load would be across the hand of person being shocked by it. Trying to make a crude measurement across my own hand, just now, knowing that in the real world it would vary much more than what I am seeing here, I'm getting around 5,000,000 to 20,000,000 Ohms.
What is the load resistance if I simply short the capacitor's two leads Bob? That is why in both posts I used the term "bare capacitor". We're trying to compare the discharge rate of a capacitor to that of (some variety of) batteries. All batteries have significant internal resistance. No capacitor, in and of itself, has any more resistance than the conductor from which it is made.

Suppose that mischievous coworker, instead of a charged capacitor, had tossed you a charged AA battery. How would that affect the results?

PS: on the conductance of your hand: the closer you put the two leads to each other, the lower will be the resistance and penetrating the epidermal layer to the moist and salty interior will dramatically reduce the resistance. When you catch that capacity flying at you, the leads will likely end up close together and may well penetrate slightly into your skin. I have seen it done to others and it didn't appear as if the capacitor was finding that large a load to push through. The effect was dramatic and painful.

Last edited:
What is the load resistance if I simply short the capacitor's two leads Bob? That is why in both posts I used the term "bare capacitor". We're trying to compare the discharge rate of a capacitor to that of (some variety of) batteries. All batteries have significant internal resistance. No capacitor, in and of itself, has any more resistance than the conductor from which it is made.

It's irrelevant, in any real-world application of the energy stored in that capacitor, to power a machine, such as a car.

But since you don't know shit about electronics, and you seem incapable of understanding even the most basic principles thereof, it would be a waste of my time and effort to try any more to explain it to you; much like the cliché about trying to teach a pig to sing.

And yet, you are completely unable to see how Ohm's Law is relevant to, and completely refutes your idiotic statement about capacitors, that they “discharge the current virtually immediately”. No, they do not, and anyone who knows shit about even the most basics of electronics would know that they do not. Your statement doesn't even make sense to anyone who understands electronics.
Can capacitor be used as battery?

A capacitor technically already work as a battery, as long as there is voltage on it, it is charged, once there is no more voltage on it or relative to the capacitor the voltage is negative, it will discharge. However unlike a real battery, capacitors discharge very fast.May 4, 2018

This statement by others mirrors what I was taught about capacitors. They shove out a good sized amount of current pretty fast.

This version gives information about 2 types of capacitors.

How long can a capacitor store electricity?

Electrolytic capacitors generally don't hold a charge for a long time, IE: more than an hour or two. Film capacitors can hold a charge for a very long time, years in some cases. But much depends on the environment that the capacitor is in. Humid environments will cause the capacitor to slowly discharge.Aug 24, 2020

The Khan academy says this

Do capacitors discharge quickly?

The main difference is a capacitor's ability to store energy doesn't come from chemical reactions, but rather from the way that its physical design allows it to hold negative and positive charges apart. This makes capacitors very fast at charging and discharging, much faster than batteries.

Capacitors article (article) | Khan Academy​

How Middle Class ...

Yup ... Middle Class ...

=====

The analogy was about Ferrari ... the $5,000 a month is just labor, parts will be extra ... we wouldn't pay that much with the Bentley, that's a Volkswagon product ... German engineering is better than even Mexican hookers ... honest ... just not as good as Panamanian hookers ...
<ahem> upper middle class.

It's irrelevant, in any real-world application of the energy stored in that capacitor, to power a machine, such as a car.

But since you don't know shit about electronics, and you seem incapable of understanding even the most basic principles thereof, it would be a waste of my time and effort to try any more to explain it to you; much like the cliché about trying to teach a pig to sing.
Crick tells us he is an Engineer Bob. It is very rare for an Engineer to not understand capacitors.

Crick tells us he is an Engineer Bob. It is very rare for an Engineer to not understand capacitors.

Crick claims to have been born in 1970, but to have been in Jr. High in the 1960s.

He's a proven liar, that cannot even get his own lies straight.

So he also claims to be an engineer. Very obviously, yet another lie.

I will grant him that he seems to understand the relevant science as well as you do, which is to say that he doesn't understand it at all, and seems to be stubbornly incapable of understanding it.

There is no real demand.

It's an artificial market created by government subsidies and tax breaks
A real demand is when one wants electric assist to haul a load uphill rather than rely on just the foot pedals.

All done. Looks good. What doesn't look good is what happens if we keep burning fossil fuels. I said up above that the only thing that matters is that we stop burning fossil fuels but you've decided to stay where you were and attack lithium batteries. I see Toyota and some other company announced today a solid state sulfur battery that will give a car a range of 1500 km (932 miles) and charge in ten minutes. No fire hazard. Dramatically reduced rare earth requirements. Its the answer to your prayers.
Link?

Do solar math: No lithium is required to move a human riding a motor connected to a solar panel.

Crick claims to have been born in 1970, but to have been in Jr. High in the 1960s.
No Bob, I have never made such a claim. What I did do, was to fill out my USMB profile with bogus information (it lists my birthday as January 1st, 1970, the default date of all early computers) so as to maintain the security of my medical records and reduce the risk of identity theft. Putting accurate information into a public location on the internet is as stupid as stupid can get, Bob. And if ANY of you have done such a thing, I highly recommend you IMMEDIATELY remove it.
I don't have a problem keeping my lies straight, Bob, because I don't tell any.
I'm not the one here making fundamental mistakes about very basic electronics.
I will grant him that he seems to understand the relevant science as well as you do, which is to say that he doesn't understand it at all, and seems to be stubbornly incapable of understanding it.
I'm not a scientist amd there are lots and lots and lots of things I don't know, but what relevant science is it you think I fail to understand Bob?

In other words, you lied.
Take it however you like Bob. But I know what I did and I think everyone else here knows. I hope you haven't actually put accurate info in your USMB profile. Shall I look-see what it says?

All done. Looks good. What doesn't look good is what happens if we keep burning fossil fuels. I said up above that the only thing that matters is that we stop burning fossil fuels but you've decided to stay where you were and attack lithium batteries. I see Toyota and some other company announced today a solid state sulfur battery that will give a car a range of 1500 km (932 miles) and charge in ten minutes. No fire hazard. Dramatically reduced rare earth requirements. Its the answer to your prayers.
Have I got this right that you have completely quit burning fossil fuels?

Bob, how did you get to be such an expert in all things science?

1704228417654.png

Since they deal in practicalities real Engineers learn to recognize bullshit when they see it. Like this AGW is bullshit. He ain't no real Engineer if he is so stupid as to not see all the lies, falsehoods, bad science and bullshit in this AGW scam. It is obvious that he is lying if he is making that claim.

Forum List

Back