beware of automatic garage doors

Widdekind

Mar 26, 2012
automatic garage doors are sold, w/ only a few different remotes, so, hardly exaggerating, every other garage door is sold w/ the same remote, running on the same frequency, so every few people's purchased garage door remotes, could open each other's doors

so it seems safe, to mechanically lock, with the latch, garage doors during the night, and even to turn off the garage door opener, too

automatic garage doors are sold, w/ only a few different remotes, so, hardly exaggerating, every other garage door is sold w/ the same remote, running on the same frequency, so every few people's purchased garage door remotes, could open each other's doors

so it seems safe, to mechanically lock, with the latch, garage doors during the night, and even to turn off the garage door opener, too

If you get a good one they have rolling codes. They have thousands of different codes.
When you push the button it grabs one of these rolling codes and remembers it. When you use it again it uses the same code it picked up. Use it again and it's another new code.
Very difficult to hack,but not impossible.
But I do chain my garage doors if I'm going to be gone for an extended period.
Another neat security item is the biometric lock. It uses your finger print to unlock the door.
No more bumped locks and you can enter your friends and families finger prints.
Love mine.

Same frequency but a zillion different pulse rates. Try driving around your town and trying to open garage doors with your remote. It won't work.

But owning a big dog trained as a police dog helps when you aren't home, too. If he doesn't know you, he'll probably just eat you. :D

Last edited:
This was only a problem way back when they first came out. You could ride around on a bicycle squawking a walkie-talkie & watch all the doors going up & down. They have multiple switches & rolling codes now.

This was only a problem way back when they first came out. You could ride around on a bicycle squawking a walkie-talkie & watch all the doors going up & down. They have multiple switches & rolling codes now.

its kind of cool. today, i can program them into my car

I use LiftMaster 8355, It was easy to install using the former rails etc. It took about 2 hours from start to finish. It works great with the MyQ adapter. Now I can see if the doors are open from my smart phone. That is one of the best parts.

Forum List

Back