Better to have no insurance

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Tipsycatlover, May 29, 2018.

1. Tipsycatlover

Tipsycatlover Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,235
    I recently became very ill with a particularly bad bout of bronchitis. I went to the emergency room of the hospital that has my insurance contract. A doctor examined me, prescribed over the counter cough syrup and sent me home. The copay was $80.00

My condition worsened. Also due to other factors I went to stay with my son. I could not breathe. I went to urgent care. My insurance was not accepted. I was out of network. I had to pay out of pocket. I received breathing treatments, two inhalers and some decent cough syrup. I went back every day for breathing treatments. In two days I was much better. The cost without insurance was $135.00. But, I actually got care.

Better to have no insurance at all.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. debbiedowner

debbiedowner Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,051
    Drop it then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,032
    Better still is to get sick in Brussels.

I had a similar malady while there. Included an ear infection so couldn't fly. We went to the ER. Very pleasant and directed me to a clinic. Again, pleasant, was seen immediately, MD prescribed and sent me to a pharmacy where it was filled in record time and cost almost nothing.

Had to see MD again because airline required letter from him. Standing in the Grand Place, called him on my cell. It was 7pm. He said if I could get there right away, he would see me but that he was giving a paper on the other side of the city at 8pm. We took a cab to his office.

He unlocked the door, took us into his office, had me sit on the end of an examining table and told me 'this will be very painful and you must not move'. He then stuck an instrument in my ear. I told him it tickled and said, 'yes, he knew that but if he had told me it would tickle, I might not have been completely still.

Nice guy. Wrote the letter and then called a cab for us. Doctors there have first priority for cabs so it arrived straight away. While we waited, we asked him if he knew of a good Indian restaurant. He did and went out to the street to tell the cabby the address of the restaurant.

I had to fill another scrip so stopped where the doctor had told the cabby to go. He waited the less than 5 mins it took and then took us to dinner.

The entire cost of two dr visits, including the clinic, two scrips and two OTC remedies was less that $130.

On the same trip, a friend had a sudden tooth infection, was seen the same day by an emergency dental clinic and also had a very low cost.

Our friends in both Brussels and Paris say we're crazy to put up with US medicine.

They're right.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. Tipsycatlover

Tipsycatlover Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,235
    In my entire life this is the only time I had insurance. I have always paid out of pocket even for hospitalizations.

5. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,248
    See, if you could shop around for insurance as you do other products and services, you could have picked one that was accepted at a better hospital and gotten appropriate treatment the first time.

I'm afraid I will be facing similar problems myself in the near future, because my insurance comes through my husband's employer, and he's working toward being self-employed soon.

6. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,788
    Couldn't agree more. People who want socialized medicine should all go get sick. In Brussels.

7. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,753
    Good luck when it comes to hundreds of thousands of dollars,
    btw, You have lousy insurance.

8. Penelope

Penelope Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,451
    Are you 71 or born in 71. If 71 you have Medicare.

9. Penelope

Penelope Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,451
    Heres some good news for you, you might want to tell your husband to keep his job, I remember all to well what being self employed before the ACA was like:
    ---------------------------------------------------------

The Justice Department wrote in a filing Friday that it would not defend ObamaCare's protections for people with pre-existing conditions, siding in large part with a challenge to the law brought by a coalition of Republican-led states.

The states, and the Justice Department, argue that Congress's repeal of the tax penalty associated with ObamaCare's individual mandate makes the law's protections for people with pre-existing conditions unconstitutional.

House Dems demand answers from HHS on DOJ's ObamaCare decision

10. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,788
    This is, potentially, good news. But I'll save my celebration until the Court actually strikes it down.

I wonder what this will do in terms of precedent. The biggest danger of ACA, in my view, is the precedents it sets or reinforces. We should never allow government and business to collude at this level. Certainly businesses should never be allowed to pass laws that force people to buy their products.