Best Sports to Start Out With

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
What are the best sports to start the young ones with? I'm thinking football, swimming, wrestling, and maybe baseball.

Soccer, martial arts, swimming...

That's what I got my daughter into when she was young

Soccer - pass. "Martial arts" is too broad. Swimming is a skill everyone should have, so that makes sense.

I started with wrestling in Kindergarten, and started baseball in I think the third grade or younger. If you get them into martial arts I'd recommend taekwondo. The class I was in had plenty of young kids, and they seemed to enjoy it.

I started with wrestling in Kindergarten, and started baseball in I think the third grade or younger. If you get them into martial arts I'd recommend taekwondo. The class I was in had plenty of young kids, and they seemed to enjoy it.

Taekwondo tends to be the MA equivalent to soccer. I'd go in a different direction for the same reason.

What are the best sports to start the young ones with? I'm thinking football, swimming, wrestling, and maybe baseball.

I think its important to listen to what your kid wants. Mine wanted to play baseball, but the coach didn't like him so I put him in Taekwando and he actually liked it he stayed until he got a black belt and then joined the wrestling team where he really prospered. He eventually won a state championship and wrestled nationally, but washed out after a few matches. It has a lot to do with coaching, but a good coach can be a real asset to a kid and I was lucky enough to really benefit with what that coach did for my son.

Taekwondo can be a good workout and venue for learning self-control and socializing, but it is notorious for producing the 12 year-old black belt :rolleyes: .

Soccer - pass. "Martial arts" is too broad. Swimming is a skill everyone should have, so that makes sense.

With martial arts their is so many to pick from, I was in JuJutsu, her cousin was in karate so that's what she wanted to do.

Well like a good coach you need to find a good teacher. Store fronts that slap signs on them and throw down a few mats should be a warning sign for anyone. Invest time looking and you will be rewarded

Taekwondo tends to be the MA equivalent to soccer. I'd go in a different direction for the same reason.
Taekwondo can be hard on the knees. Akido is based more on motion and balance

Taekwondo can be hard on the knees. Akido is based more on motion and balance
All martial arts are based on balance. Aikido is great but its more of a way of life than simply a sport.

1) Baseball
Fine motor skills, coordination, cardio, teamwork, camaraderie

2) Martial Arts
Coordination, balance, discipline, respect. I recommend Japanese styles...and not Chinese.

I see Chinese styles as complicated and more twisting and turning - putting the feet, legs and arms in more twisted and complicated positions and stances. Successful, and hard to master.... Chinese styles are hard to learn, and take more time to master than Chinese styles. Chinese styles are only for those whom live in a Dojo, or for the Monks.

Japanese styles such as Ju-Jitsu, Kempo Karate, Basic Karate, Judo, Aikido. I took Hapkido in the military ( Korean) and loved it. Krav-Maga...from what I have seen is not so bad, but I don't see the discipline installed in the student.....only the knowledge of self defense. Krav-Maga involves being fast, and using speed to your advantage ; where other martial arts a student uses illusions, the adversaries body, or their motion to gain the advantage. Japanese style martial arts uses techniques that are more fluid as I see it.

Some sports activities teach kids more than just the sport itself, it benefits them about themselves, improves their body...keeping them healthy, and works on their brain.

Hope I helped -----> Shadow 355

Taekwondo can be a good workout and venue for learning self-control and socializing, but it is notorious for producing the 12 year-old black belt :rolleyes: .

A kicking and blocking style of Martial art. Its limited ; and I see no harm in someone taking it - but it is far from my first recommendation.

Shadow 355

I may add that whatever sport, make sure you do two things. Check out your coaches and resist the temptation to relive your glory days. A coach can ruin a young childs confidence if they are not focused on development. This is desired at any age below high school. A helicopter parent can turn a child off as well.

I may add that whatever sport, make sure you do two things. Check out your coaches and resist the temptation to relive your glory days. A coach can ruin a young childs confidence if they are not focused on development. This is desired at any age below high school. A helicopter parent can turn a child off as well.

Sports when children are young is supposed to be a learning event. They are not supposed to have a coach whom chews them out because they lost the game or made a mistake.

They are to have fun, engage in physical activity, and learn. Not to get criticized and have poor esteem placed on them ; that they begin to doubt themselves and their ability.

You have to learn first, before you can perfect. Coaches are not supposed to be asinine and egotistical......especially when they players can do the game much - much better than them.

I about went off on a coach one time - because he was playing God.

Shadow 355

Last edited:

Sports when children are young is supposed to be a learning event. They are not supposed to have a coach whom chews them out because they lost the game or made a mistake.

You have to learn first, before you can perfect.

Shadow 355
That goes double for parents.

Forum List

Back