Best Sports to Start Out With

Sports when children are young is supposed to be a learning event.

... have a coach whom chews them out because they lost the game or made a mistake.

... get criticized ....

Those things are "learning event."

Tons and tons of kids play soccer, but the numbers drop off regularly and predictably as they get older. The more athletic kids peel off soonest.

Excellent question. And of course, the answer is, "It depends."

What is your objective? An eventual college scholarship? A learning experience? Socialization? Babysitting? Physical fitness and self-confidence?

To me, the dream of a college scholarship or becoming a highly-paid professional should be discarded immediately. On the other hand, the great benefit of sports is to teach the kid that hard work and dedication CAN bring about success, so you want to get the kid into at least one thing where he will not have to suffer perennially due to simply being on a bad team. The sport(s) should be selected based on the kid's apparent desire and talent, the parents' objectives, the time and cost commitments required of the parents and the kid itself (are you willing to make them), and the development of skills that might be useful in the long term.

In my case (I have one son, now an adult) I immediately discarded sports that eat too much money and time. No hockey, golf, skiing, horseback riding, or swimming. I discarded sports where being a genetic mutant is a major advantage (football, school basketball).

I promoted baseball, because I personally love the sport, and anyone with even moderate physical abilities can be successful through high school with sufficient dedication. I tolerated soccer because most of the neighborhood kids participated, but I have no interest in soccer and didn't push it as much as I could have (putting the boy on "travelling teams"). I failed in my duties toward recreational - non-school - basketball because I simply was not aware of the great program that exists in my area (one problem with being the father of an only child). I started my kid with tennis but he showed no interest. In retrospect, I think my kid could have benefitted from pursuing one of the martial arts - probably Tae Kwon Do. (Music was a significant part of his life, taking piano lessons for years, and eventually taking up the guitar and drums).

LaCroix is big in my area and it might have been good for my kid, although most of the local participants are football players, looking for something to keep them in shape in the "off-season."

Advice: Pick at least one individual sport and a team sport that has a good organization in your area. Hopefully, the two of them will (a) be played in different seasons, and (b) promote good physical fitness.

What are the best sports to start the young ones with? I'm thinking football, swimming, wrestling, and maybe baseball.

Football? Ya, US schoolkids don't get bad enough grades without head injuries.
Exactly what I told the dumbass. I'd let my Jr. High kid play football but for a first sport I'd start with t ball or soccer.

Did unkotard play football too young? Probably why he's braindead and can't ever reply intelligently.

What are the best sports to start the young ones with? I'm thinking football, swimming, wrestling, and maybe baseball.

Swimming is good for overall fitness.
Baseball (T Ball) is good for learning of the idea of "team".

If you can swing both, do it.
A substitute for Baseball might be Basketball - baseball can be boring and if your kid gets bored easily, that might not work out too well.

Soccer seems to be the most popular however.

Exactly what I told the dumbass. I'd let my Jr. High kid play football but for a first sport I'd start with t ball or soccer.

Did unkotard play football too young? Probably why he's braindead and can't ever reply intelligently.

Relax, pussy. Really little kids start with flag football. Even when they start with pads the kids are generally not fast or powerful enough to do much damage to each other.

Relax, pussy. Really little kids start with flag football. Even when they start with pads the kids are generally not fast or powerful enough to do much damage to each other.

MSNBC's crawl mentions homocide case opened following the death of a 7yo girl playing football. Haven't googled it so that's all I got. But that's kinda the worry with kids playing football. If an adult wants to that's an adult's decision to make. but when we tell kids they can't have sex because they're brains aren't fully developed yet, then surely they're not developed enough to risk lifelong chronic pain, concussions and brain injuries either.

MSNBC's crawl mentions homocide case opened following the death of a 7yo girl playing football. Haven't googled it so that's all I got. But that's kinda the worry with kids playing football. If an adult wants to that's an adult's decision to make. but when we tell kids they can't have sex because they're brains aren't fully developed yet, then surely they're not developed enough to risk lifelong chronic pain, concussions and brain injuries either.
The more I find out about football the more I am glad I didnt play it for very long. I would never let my child play full contact football.

And we are not talking about little kids playing against adults or something.

I really find the sport boring from a spectator standpoint but I think soccer would be best. It provides activity without a lot of contact and gives participants stamina and agility.

Akido is based more on motion and balance

Aikido has several benefits, but is more appropriate for older students.
These guys must have found the fountain of youth then.

fc0909_3.jpg

I'm thinking if you really wrestled you wouldn't be asking this question you fucking liar.

I wasn't asking for advice, you idiot, I was starting a discussion. You really are stupid, fraud.

Forum List

Back