Best musician we lost too soon

Otis Redding. (another plane crash, I think)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzrXc68gNjQ]OTIS REDDING: (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hajBdDM2qdg]Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through The Grapevine - YouTube[/ame]

Mark Sandman was not "young" per say but he was way to young to die and the great band Morphine only had a ten year run before he passed.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=985JGeGq_tc]Morphine - Cure for Pain - YouTube[/ame]

Via Wiki- Morphine (band) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Morphine combined blues and jazz elements with more traditional rock arrangements, giving the band a very unusual sound. Sandman's distinctive singing was described as a "deep, laid-back croon"[1] and his songwriting featured a prominent beat influence. When asked by reporters to describe their music, the band created the label "low rock". One critical appraisal suggests that "Morphine immediately established a minimalist, low-end sound that could have easily become a gimmick: a 'power trio' not built around the sound of an electric guitar. Instead, with sly intelligence, Morphine expanded its offbeat vocabulary on each album."

This one hit me harder than most as I followed the band from the get go to the tragic end. (only saw them once live though)

Mark Sandman was not "young" per say but he was way to young to die and the great band Morphine only had a ten year run before he passed.

There will be a lot of that, I think. For instance, Jeff Buckley? All I knew of him was "Hallelujah". He was my introduction to that song, and for that alone I'll always remember him kindly.

Johnny Cash was 71, and I cried when he died. It was totally expected, I knew he woudn't last long without June. I still lost it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go]Johnny Cash Hurt - YouTube[/ame]

This song has some of the best lyrics I think I have ever heard.

Last edited:

Morphine - Cure for Pain - YouTube

Morphine combined blues and jazz elements with more traditional rock arrangements, giving the band a very unusual sound. Sandman's distinctive singing was described as a "deep, laid-back croon"[1] and his songwriting featured a prominent beat influence. When asked by reporters to describe their music, the band created the label "low rock". One critical appraisal suggests that "Morphine immediately established a minimalist, low-end sound that could have easily become a gimmick: a 'power trio' not built around the sound of an electric guitar. Instead, with sly intelligence, Morphine expanded its offbeat vocabulary on each album."

This one hit me harder than most as I followed the band from the get go to the tragic end. (only saw them once live though)

God. His poor mother!

Two tragic events impacted Sandman's life and would later influence his music - he was robbed and stabbed in the chest during a robbery in his cab, and his two brothers died. These events would later be recounted in the Treat Her Right song "No Reason." His mother, Guitelle Sandman, has self-published a book about the loss of her three sons entitled, "Four Minus Three A Mother's Story."

I liked Jim a lot.His attitude is what I based most of my life on. ( except for my brief revenge mission in Asia)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ap2GNPsXPM]Jim Morrison (The Doors) gets arrested in Miami 1969 - YouTube[/ame]

Probably Buddy Holly.

When you look at a group like the Beatles who started off with "I wanna hold your hand" and "She loves you yea yea yea", and matured into "Imagine" and "Let it Be", you wonder what would have come from a mature Buddy Holly.

God. His poor mother!

Two tragic events impacted Sandman's life and would later influence his music - he was robbed and stabbed in the chest during a robbery in his cab, and his two brothers died. These events would later be recounted in the Treat Her Right song "No Reason." His mother, Guitelle Sandman, has self-published a book about the loss of her three sons entitled, "Four Minus Three A Mother's Story."

Oh yeah. It usually takes Shakespeare to cram that much tragedy onto a single family. Heartbreaking stuff.

And Mark really was a big part of inventing a whole new musical sound with Morphine that no one (as far as I know) has been able to recreate with anything close to as good.

Another great with my old buddy.Not only can he gittar, he can build a car.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZRTOVeLdH4]Stevie Ray Vaughan/Jeff Beck live private party Hawaii - YouTube[/ame]

God. His poor mother!

Oh yeah. It usually takes Shakespeare to cram that much tragedy onto a single family. Heartbreaking stuff.

And Mark really was a big part of inventing a whole new musical sound with Morphine that no one (as far as I know) has been able to recreate with anything close to as good.

I really enjoyed that song, listened to it twice. Thanks for the intro.

Forum List

Back