Best Islamic Destinations

I guess Oman might be ok, again this is a short list.

Oman is supposed to be much better than the UAE because it retains much more of its traditional culture. Many people who live in the Gulf want to or have traveled to Oman because it is so interesting, comparatively. I lived in the UAE for 2 years and have spent some time in Bahrain, which is quiet and peaceful, contrary to what most might think. Both countries have huge populations of ex-pat workers, mostly from Asia: Pakistan, India, and the Philippines. A smaller percentage from the West. Bahrain has a large American naval base. Both countries have lost about 50% of their traditional culture. English is spoken widely by just about everyone. For the most part both countries consist of highways and apartment buildings; the UAE has many hotels catering to Western tourists, including some very nice beach resorts, and a quite large wildlife sanctuary. Large, lavish shopping centers figure in abundance, quite over shadowing the traditional souks. For a vacation--sun, beaches, European, Asian & Western restaurants, shopping, night clubs, etc., Dubai is a good place to go, but you will have to make a special effort to find traditional culture and history. Both the UAE and Bahrain have an abundance of American fast food franchises: MacD's, Burger King, KFC, Dairy Queen, both major doughnut chains, Pizza Hut, etc. You can get pretty much anything you want in both countries as far as American food.

Last edited:
the pros and cons of travel in various countries and/or states

Con... No Israeli Flags in Dearborn MI

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BXluHiavys]Doctor My Eyes: Israeli Flags Are Now "Incitement" In Dearborn Michigan - YouTube[/ame]

Oman is supposed to be much better than the UAE because it retains much more of its traditional culture. Many people who live in the Gulf want to or have traveled to Oman because it is so interesting, comparatively. I lived in the UAE for 2 years and have spent some time in Bahrain, which is quiet and peaceful, contrary to what most might think. Both countries have huge populations of ex-pat workers, mostly from Asia: Pakistan, India, and the Philippines. A smaller percentage from the West. Bahrain has a large American naval base. Both countries have lost about 50% of their traditional culture. English is spoken widely by just about everyone. For the most part both countries consist of highways and apartment buildings; the UAE has many hotels catering to Western tourists, including some very nice beach resorts, and a quite large wildlife sanctuary. Large, lavish shopping centers figure in abundance, quite over shadowing the traditional souks. For a vacation--sun, beaches, European, Asian & Western restaurants, shopping, night clubs, etc., Dubai is a good place to go, but you will have to make a special effort to find traditional culture and history. Both the UAE and Bahrain have an abundance of American fast food franchises: MacD's, Burger King, KFC, Dairy Queen, both major doughnut chains, Pizza Hut, etc. You can get pretty much anything you want in both countries as far as American food.

Well if I ever went to a Middle Eastern country again I'd go with the local food if I could, Middle Eastern food is usually very good.

Well if I ever went to a Middle Eastern country again I'd go with the local food if I could, Middle Eastern food is usually very good.

Humus is like sooooo much better than Hamas.

Lemme tell ya.

Turkey is somewhere I really want to get to.

Turkey is really beautiful.

I lived there for two years also. Turkey has many beautiful places, many.

In comparing Middle Eastern food to Turkish food, there is no comparison: Turkey has one of the best cuisines in the world, up there with Italian, French and Chinese. And it is a far more interesting and beautiful place than the Middle Eastern countries.

Turkey is not by any stretch of the imagination an Arabic country. Only 1.3 percent of the population speaks Arabic, and those are people who live on the border of Arabic nations. Turkey is Turkey: unique.

Last edited:
Egypt is amazing, a dream come true. This is still my favorite destination.
I'll follow your advice, Turkey must be amazing too...

Egypt is amazing, a dream come true. This is still my favorite destination.
I'll follow your advice, Turkey must be amazing too...

particularly after the Muslim Brotherhood fell...is Egypt amazing!

don't you think.

My people tell me Morocco is fine right now....business as usual.

That said, Morocco isn't the easiest place to travel at any time. It's a great place, but you need to keep an eye out for scams and rip-offs.

Travel to an Islamic country?
Moi?

Never in a million years.

Then we don't need to ask why your posting is based on ignorance, do we?

Ignorance?
Nah...as a White Christian male I believe I'd be a target...

BBC News | ASIA-PACIFIC | British nurse sentenced to death

British nurse sentenced to death

A British nurse charged with drug smuggling in Malaysia has been sentenced to death by hanging.
Father-of-two David Chell, 57, from Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, was found guilty of possession of more than half a kilo of heroin.

Mr Chell, who says the heroin was planted on him, is to appeal against the sentence.

Customs officers at Penang Airport in northern Malaysia say they found the drugs in Mr Chell's underwear.

But Mr Chell said one of the security officers produced the bag of heroin from underneath a cushion in the airport examination room where he was taken.

Mr Chell's appeal could take several years.

In 1986 Malaysia executed two Australians, Kevin Barlow and Brian Chambers, for drug trafficking.

Last edited:
Ignorance?
Nah, Muslim countries are not for me.

Queensland woman tells of her jail hell in United Arab Emirates | News.com.au

Queensland woman tells of her jail hell in United Arab Emirates

A QUEENSLAND woman spent eight months in a United Arab Emirates jail for adultery after complaining to police about being drugged and raped by co-workers.

Gee, Muslims even get persecuted, I'd have no chance;

Sydney mother jailed after 'insulting' Kuwait's Emir [Archive] - AussieMuslims.com - Home of Australian Muslims

A SYDNEY mother is in a Kuwait prison cell after a bizarre incident at the country's international airport.

Nasrah Alshamery, 43, is facing the archaic charge of insulting the nation's ruling Emir after rowing with airport security officers over Saddam Hussein versus John Howard and George W. Bush, The Daily Telegraph reports.

"My mother didn't even name the Emir. She doesn't know who he is," her distraught daughter Wasa Alshamery, 21, said yesterday.

The row occurred when Mrs Alshamery, her husband Solomon, 43, six sons and daughter flew into Kuwait from Syria as part of their return to their homeland, which they left 10 years ago.
At the family's Winston Hills Sydney Australia home, medical science student Ms Alshamery told how an airport security officer was rude to her youngest brother, Mohammed, when the family asked about getting visas.

She said her father told the officer to be polite but he was then hit by the security officer - at which point the two brothers became involved.

They were soon surrounded by 35 police and security officers.

"My mother was screaming at them 'Give me my sons'," said Ms Alshamery, adding the security officers made fun of her mother's Arabic, saying she was speaking with a funny accent and accusing her of being a "slut" because she was Australian, even though she was wearing a hijab that covered everything but her eyes.

Last edited:
When you visit a Muslim country an Arab country in particular its eyes straight ahead and DO NOT SAY ANYTHING, this is not like the US where you can piss on Obamas name all day and nothing will happen, if you insult their leaders or Islam YOU ARE GOING TO JAIL.

Been to Dubai, had an excellent time. I guess I wasn't a normal tourist...we received a lot of 'special' treatment...but when I escaped from our group, I found that most people were friendly. I felt safe and the culture seemed to be very westernized.

It was just so fucking hot.

Been to Dubai, had an excellent time. I guess I wasn't a normal tourist...we received a lot of 'special' treatment...but when I escaped from our group, I found that most people were friendly. I felt safe and the culture seemed to be very westernized.

It was just so fucking hot.

Living in, visiting, functioning in Dubai is a non-issue for Westerners. It is easier to function there than in Europe.

When you visit a Muslim country an Arab country in particular its eyes straight ahead and DO NOT SAY ANYTHING, this is not like the US where you can piss on Obamas name all day and nothing will happen, if you insult their leaders or Islam YOU ARE GOING TO JAIL.

Why would you go to another country and want to insult their leader, their religion or their culture? This is something I don't get. You are a guest in their country. Behave like guest, not like a higher being from a 'better' country and culture and think it is completely reasonable and acceptable to go around criticizing everything you see.

Forum List

Back