Best gun for an old lady with RA

Taurus 9mm Slim:

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

You won't be disappointed.

709B.jpg

Yeah, but how much are they??? Remember...budget.
MSRP: $483.00 but prolly cheaper in a store.

Edit: online, it looks like $365-$390

Last edited:
I want a gun. I have one....357 magnum. Revolver. But I want another one. Not with a clip cuz i hear they jam a lot? Nothing huge. Something smallish. 22 is ok cuz I have ammo for it.
So what is the best gun to get that isnt too expensive? Middle range in price. Reliable. Easy to handle, not huge.

What are you wanting it for? Home defense or taking to the range?

Just to have it for emergencies. Home defense I guess. Body defense. I wont be going to the range.

I forgot to ask will you be CC with it? And I would suggest going to the range to practice with it. All gun owners should shoot their firearms at least every 6 months. To make sure all proper tools are in working order. Namely you, your weapon, and your ammo.

If you're getting one for specifically home defense meaning you will not be carrying it with you, I will suggest something that has not been suggested. A Hi Point 4595 carbine. most places you will found them around 285.00 to 350.00.
It's a 45 cal. Rifle but not as long as your standard rifle. barrel to butt is around 17.5 inches. 10 round magazine which is also interchangeable with the Hi Point JHP 45 semi automatic pistol. Which you can get them for around 250.00.
I wouldn't dare trade mine for any of those firearms already named in this thread.

qyXKDfsXhrzWeE45OyClAGzDOoWSSSfxiOBNkgf57Fwx2YTBkJ9rrGETGfk1f506h4fyYS9VNm85YkP6L6D01oW8bFPwvn2xWjkXW9cfwBW81wR2hzs9Yni2hQ2auE3vKG7dC36lXSxcNfwz

Now if you are going to conceal carry CC I suggest a Rossi 38 special revolver 286.00.
66220585104.jpg

Last edited:
If you want something strictly for home defense, pick up a single-shot .410 gauge shotgun, which will cost less than $100, and have someone saw the barrel off to the 18" legal limit. Very inexpensive, very effective at close range, and not the kind of scary noise and recoil as a 12.gauge. The sight of it will discourage anyone from coming near you and if you nail somebody with it at close range, no matter how big he is it will stop him.

But if you're thinking about getting a carry permit, the Smith & Wesson .38 "Ladysmith" is a very light handgun which is designed for a woman's hand. Load it with Hydro-Shock cartridges (the dealer will have them).

I want a gun. I have one....357 magnum. Revolver. But I want another one. Not with a clip cuz i hear they jam a lot? Nothing huge. Something smallish. 22 is ok cuz I have ammo for it.
So what is the best gun to get that isnt too expensive? Middle range in price. Reliable. Easy to handle, not huge.

Just to have it for emergencies. Home defense I guess. Body defense. I wont be going to the range.

Then you shouldn't have any firearm. Unless you have training and practice you will be incompetent with it.

Boedicca's spot on with her advice. A .38, make it a snubnose. Studies show that most gunfights are within a 7 ft. range. .38 snubnose will fit the bill.

I've got a Ruger LC-9 in my pocket right now.

Ruger LC9 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its perfect for you I bet, the only issue is its a pistol.

Or check out the Ruger SP101.

Ruger SP-101 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ruger makes the LCR, 38 special.

Here it is with the LC9:

DSC06148.JPG

Then you shouldn't have any firearm. Unless you have training and practice you will be incompetent with it.

Um. I am not incompetent with a gun. I am a pretty damn good shot too. So...hows it feel to judge a complete stranger on whether she should own a gun or not?
Anyway....it's in the works. And a shotgun as well.

Here it is with the LC9:

DSC06148.JPG

Oh. I like that top one! Don't want a clip. Want a revolver.

Ex just now called as I was reading this thread. He is a few miles from the gun store and is going to call me once there to let me know what they are looking at. I will keep this thread handy while I await the call.

Here it is with the LC9:

DSC06148.JPG

Oh. I like that top one! Don't want a clip. Want a revolver.

That's okay, neither one has a clip, the bottom one does have a magazine though.

Still waiting for his call. I'm sure he is busily oohing and ahhing over the selection so it might be half an hour or so. Men in gun stores. Like women in a shoe store.

If Grace's heart is set on a revolver, I'd say that's an excellent choice.

My wife likes that one too. I'm thinking about one myself but I'm also looking at the Ruger LCP and the Kel tek P3AT for summer pocket carry. The LCP/LC9 is relatively new technology for Ruger, I'll probably wait a few years on that one were as Kel tek has been using and refining the same technology for years in their pistols.

I would recommend the "Bushmaster .223". If you know a good gunsmith it can be converted to full auto. Whip this puppy out and even the most dangerous criminal will wet himself!

It is one of my personal favorites for both dramatic effect and laying down a whole lotta lead.

Bushmaster Carbon 15 Type 21s Review - Video

I had a run in with the Tacoma "Banditos" motorcycle gang a few years back. There were six of em and I had my Bushmaster. As soon as they saw my "little friend" they scattered. You can take two banana clips and tape em together. That's a whole lotta meyhem in one weapon.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back