Best choice for a laptop?

Trixy was the best choice of lap top I ever made.

I would have married her, but fate had other plans.

Wow ... the number of viruses is because of popularity, not what can and cannot be hacked. Hacking is not dependent on viruses at all. Have you tried to hack Linux (if you happen to know how to hack)? The OS on the other side only matters because of the amount and type of security. Again I recommend, until you actually use it extensively, you really shouldn't make such assumptions. The reason Linux/Unix is almost unhackable is because of the directory system, which hackers need to get through in order to find the information. Unless there is a program installed in the system that bypasses the normal operating structure of the directories (ie a back door) you cannot get into certain directories without a password, you can even seclude directories from the super user password and make them accessible only with a unique password. Windoze has that option but does not use it, while Linux not only uses it but it's integrated into the system. As for viruses, you have to install them yourself, so as long as you stick with trusted sources, you won't get one, period. Everything that is being installed on Linux has to be given permission to access the system directories or they simply cannot infect your system, even if they are saved in a temporary location, all you have to do is reboot in safe mode and delete them at worst, but rarely even that is required.

I can go on and on explaining this, because I am horrible at explaining it to people who have never used something, but again, until you have used them all extensively or written code for them, you just don't know. I have tried to write viruses for Linux, simply to test security, it's a bitch and a half, but for Windoze I can write them very easily. Even the ones I can write for Linux they still have to piggy back on another program, which the user has to allow it to be installed.

No offense but unless you are the Goddess of Hacking, just because you have a bitch of a time doing it, doesn't mean others do. My point was all about popularity. Let Linux get to Windows number of users, then come back to me and tell me it doesn't get hacked or rarely gets viruses.

My other point is don't put Linux up to that high of a point. Because it is a long way down.

If it does, then we'll see, but I seriously doubt it. All the hackers contests keep demonstrating that it's almost impossible. Even then, that is off my original point, which was that what OS you like is a personal choice. The only real flaws with Linux is that the end users are still afraid and confused by it, but it's taking strides and becoming a common OS for PCs almost as fast as Windoze did, only without the benefit Windoze had being the first mainstream desktop environment. Which is thanks to Ubuntu. Also, MacOS will be integrating more Linux code now, Steve sees the trend of open source and is trying to take advantage of it, I hope he's successful. People need to learn there are other options out there, not just the over priced crap that Microsucks products have become. ;)

Then take my bet if you are so goddamn confident. In 6 months NO Os outside of a microsoft product will see more than a 2% market share of end users. If you are so goddamn sure then here is your chance to do more than act like a fucking sheisty lemon selling used car salesman.

My Acer has been good to me. Flashy name plate? No. Nice neat looking case? No. Something I can use to make other people around me jealous that I spent $1,500 on a lap top? No. $500 a not a problem worth mentioning? NO....Well the little lock to open it up broke off but I just MacQuiver it open no prob.

Now if I had BEYONCE with an I Mac titanium super comperter in my lap I would get pictures and FLOOD the internet!! :)

If I could afford to replace my Dell desk top and my laptop I would go Mac but since I just my Dell a few months ago I won'te replacing it any tim,e soon. By my needs it is a freaking MONSTER. it's got 750 GB of memory 6 gig of ram quad cpu running at 233 gig witha 64 bit operating system. Oh and the 24 inch LCD flat panel. I love it cuz if the girls are watching some chick flik in the living room I can pop in a movie and watch it just fine. One other thing........I LOVED the Dell support when I bpought it . We have an EPP at work and I was trying to tweek a standard system but the lady at Dell said they had a special that was more comp for less money and included TWO YEAR support which was one bonus from the EPP program. She was helpful, courteous, very personable, and just a flat out pleasure to deal with(I was picturing Beyonce) while I talked to her. :) LOL!

My desktop is a customized Dell, I upgrade parts I need for work but beside that I don't bother with much. I have two laptops, one's an antique (1996 Compaq) and the other is almost an antique (2000 Dell) ... since I don't use them much I don't bother upgrading them at all. My 1996 one is the only one running the last great Windoze (98) the other two are Ubuntu.

You know what if you are PARALIZED by fear of being hacked then don't do ANYTHING by computer. Use snail mail, use checks, use cash, just don't put ANYTHING of your life on the internet. I have WAY too many things to worry about other than being hacked.

One complaint about me Dell......With a high end computer I would have thunk they would but a MUCH BETTER keyboard.

You know what if you are PARALIZED by fear of being hacked then don't do ANYTHING by computer. Use snail mail, use checks, use cash, just don't put ANYTHING of your life on the internet. I have WAY too many things to worry about other than being hacked.

One complaint about me Dell......With a high end computer I would have thunk they would but a MUCH BETTER keyboard.

I can't remember which brand, but there is one with a keyboard I really like, but they don't sell it separately so I have to wait until the junk shop gets lucky.

My desktop is a customized Dell, I upgrade parts I need for work but beside that I don't bother with much. I have two laptops, one's an antique (1996 Compaq) and the other is almost an antique (2000 Dell) ... since I don't use them much I don't bother upgrading them at all. My 1996 one is the only one running the last great Windoze (98) the other two are Ubuntu.

I would classify any computer circa 2006 or older as antique. But das jus me. :eusa_angel:

In computer years, 1996 might as well be 1996 B.C. :cool:

I would classify any computer circa 2006 or older as antique. But das jus me. :eusa_angel:

In computer years, 1996 might as well be 1996 B.C. :cool:

I classify 2K and older antique really, but some people still think 2K computers are still good so meh. :cool:

Hands down - HP. My last 4 have been HP and I'll never purchase another. I did give my son a Toshiba, that's proved reliable.

I will have to buy a new keyboard . prob wireless an MUCH more ergonomicly designed. Beyond that one complaing though this unit is a BEAST.

The keyboard isn't to bad but if you have a wireless mouse w/out a shut off, be prepared to buy LOTS of batteries!

Forum List

Back