Best American decade?

TroglocratsRdumb

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2017
What decade was the best decade for Americans post WWII?
What decade was the worst.
What decade was the happiest?
What about the present generation?

I don’t actually remember it, but I’d say the 50s were the best: post-war prosperity.

The 80s were also good - the economy recovered after the 70s, jobs became plentiful, people didn't dress like slobs when they went to work, and people were proud to be Americans.

The worst is now.

Saw Led Zeppelin twice at MSG in the 70's
yep
The late 60s and early 70s had the best pop music
Today's music stinks.

For me, the best decade was the 1970's.

As a kid, growing up on Long Island was great in the 70's. We never locked our house. Cars could be parked in the driveway with the keys in the ignition. You could leave the house at 9 o'clock in the morning and your folks wouldn't see you again until the sun was going down, at the earliest, and they didn't worry about you an iota throughout the course of the day.

Mom was a housewife and Dad was a truck driver who made more than enough to support a family of four. My $1.00 weekly allowance was enough to get me into a Saturday movie and maybe buy a couple candy bars and still have money left over. We'd set up a ramp, put a baseball card in the spokes of the Schwinn, and we were Evel Fucking Knievel.

We'd go to neighborhood cookouts on the 4th of July and then go watch the fireworks show at the high school. We'd march in the local Memorial Day parade with our boy scout troop and then go to the local volunteer fire department's annual barbeque.

And it was all free.

So, yeah, for me it was the 1970's.

Sadly, I think we're living through the worst right now...

For me, the best decade was the 1970's.

As a kid, growing up on Long Island was great in the 70's. We never locked our house. Cars could be parked in the driveway with the keys in the ignition. You could leave the house at 9 o'clock in the morning and your folks wouldn't see you again until the sun was going down, at the earliest, and they didn't worry about you an iota throughout the course of the day.

Mom was a housewife and Dad was a truck driver who made more than enough to support a family of four. My $1.00 weekly allowance was enough to get me into a Saturday movie and maybe buy a couple candy bars and still have money left over. We'd set up a ramp, put a baseball card in the spokes of the Schwinn, and we were Evel Fucking Knievel.

We'd go to neighborhood cookouts on the 4th of July and then go watch the fireworks show at the high school. We'd march in the local Memorial Day parade with our boy scout troop and then go to the local volunteer fire department's annual barbeque.

And it was all free.

So, yeah, for me it was the 1970's.

Sadly, I think we're living through the worst right now...
I loved the Saturday morning cartoons in the 70s

I loved being a kid in the 1950s. Probably the best time in the history of the country to be a kid.

It was great being a teenager and young adult in the 1960s (except for that Vietnam thingy).

It was good time to start a family and career in the 1970s and 80s.

It would be a good time for retirement now except for Potatohead's failed economy and tremendous inflation. Anybody that voted for him is an idiot.

What decade was the best decade for Americans post WWII?
What decade was the worst.
What decade was the happiest?
What about the present generation?

Is yet to happen.....we still have to vote out all the democrats who have consistently held back this country with their racism and hate....

I saw Floyd at the Garden in 1977 and again in 1980 at the Nassau Coliseum on Long Island...
that was the first year that they did big stadiums and had the inflatable pig
and it was the only year that they did the Animals album live
roger waters is on tour now and he is about 78
i think that he is doing some of the Animal songs

Forum List

Back