Bernie Sanders to introduce the dishonestly-named "Medicare for All" this week

And let's not forget, we have SEVEN (7) health care delivery/payment systems that don't communicate directly with each other. That is fucking MADNESS and terribly inefficient:
  1. Group Health
  2. Individual Health / ACA
  3. Medicare
  4. Medicaid
  5. VA
  6. Workers Comp
  7. Indigent

That's just STUPID.

No more insane than hundreds of health insurance companies that pay their CEO's 8 figure incomes to find ways to cheat people after they've paid their money.

and sorry, having separate agencies with separate goals isn't that insane. The VA, for instance, specializes in treatments specific to veterans. Medicare deals with the elderly.

First, there's no evidence a Soul even exists.

Secondly, not seeing how getting health care from government has any more or less effect on an imaginary soul than getting it from a corporation.

Your disbelief in the Soul is not relevant to my belief in it.

I have long believed thst it is immoral to allow the Government to take care of me. Thsts MY responsibility, not theirs. Regardless of how much money they steal from me to pay for thise programs. If I can't take care of myself, it's time to die.

I have long believed thst it is immoral to allow the Government to take care of me. Thsts MY responsibility, not theirs. Regardless of how much money they steal from me to pay for thise programs. If I can't take care of myself, it's time to die.

Well, it isnt time for you to die, but you might remind yourself where the 'a' key is on your keyboard, lol.

First, there's no evidence a Soul even exists.

Secondly, not seeing how getting health care from government has any more or less effect on an imaginary soul than getting it from a corporation.

Your disbelief in the Soul is not relevant to my belief in it.

The Government is us and if the majority prefer the government to set up a healthcare program that`s what we will have. It will be 10-15 or more years to happen but be assured, it will happen. BTW, if someone is stealing your money I suggest you call the police. We pay taxes here and you`re asking for free shit.

Just read Bernie's "Medicare For All" plan that he'll be introducing this week.

I like Bernie in general, but I have to remember that he's a politician, so I'm not surprised that he's lying about the plan to make it more palatable for the masses. I guess he figures he can get away with being dishonest because most people don't actually know how Medicare works.

His plan is NOT just "Medicare for All". Medicare has deductibles and only covers 80% of expenses. That's where dynamic free market competition comes in, to fill those gaps (and more, in many cases) to different degrees depending on the consumer's choice. His plan appears to be 100% single payer, period. "Free" health care.

How would he pay for it? An across-the-board 6.2% tax on employers at a time when global business competition is becoming more intense by the hour. A new 2.2% tax on all Americans and higher taxes on the wealthy. Then we'd see, maybe a few additions here and there.

If you're a health care provider on any level, you will have one contract, with the government. It will tell you what you will be allowed to make. And, since no tort reform is in the plan, you'll need to keep that battery of unneeded defensive medicine measures in place so that you're not sued.

Expanding the current Medicare / Medicare Supplement / Medicare Advantage system to all would be much better, but that's not where Bernie's head is. He'd rather be dishonest with the name of this thing to make it more attractive. Standard politician behavior. Oh well. Even Bernie is susceptible to it.

Maybe the plan would look more like what I want than his plan by the time it made it through the process. Here's hoping.

Medicare for All: Leaving No One Behind

Here's how Medicare ACTUALLY works, in less than three minutes:

Don't most people get their insurance from employers now? Something like 80-85% get it from their employer, where the employee pays their share and the coverage may only be for 70% and the employee has to pay 30% or if they are lucky and pay an arm and a leg in premiums for the copay of 20%?

If the tax for this Medicare for All, comes to less than what the employer is funding now for his employees and less than what the employees pay now, it's a win win....even if we have to pay the 20% out of pocket....... we were already paying 20% to 30% to 40% if we had coverage from work equivalent of a Bronze plan..... and of course Medicare Advantage type plans would be created for those who use a lot of healthcare to cover those out of pocket amounts and for the very poor, like this old woman who used to live near Matt's mom that we knew, would get Medicaid on top of Medicare, to cover her out of pocket expenses....

Remember, the insurance companies are 25% to 30% of the cost that we pay for healthcare, and that is simply for pushing paper and not actual health care.....

there has got to be savings going to a Medicare for all, for both the Employer funding it now, and the employee funding their share now....

From what I have read...medicare's overhead costs are really really low too...

And can you imagine the savings in doctor's offices and Hospitals Billing departments....on NOT having to bill 100 different Insurance companies with 100 different negotiated prices?

Another perk for employees is that their Medicare for All coverage would be Nationwide...

vs. now, many insurance plans only cover in network which is commonly only within their State, and out of network costs the employee at least 50%...

There has got to be a way to do this, with SAVINGS for everyone, employer and employee and govt.

Well first of all, employers have no business, literally, providing health insurance to employees in the first place. Expanding the current Medicare / Medicare Supplement / Medicare Advantage system to all would mean we'd each have our own plan that we keep, regardless of employer or employment. Let's just take that massive monkey off the backs of American employers from the get-go.

And the current system still allows for plenty of free market competition and innovation while providing excellent preventive and diagnostic coverage.

And let's not forget, we have SEVEN (7) health care delivery/payment systems that don't communicate directly with each other. That is fucking MADNESS and terribly inefficient:
  1. Group Health
  2. Individual Health / ACA
  3. Medicare
  4. Medicaid
  5. VA
  6. Workers Comp
  7. Indigent

That's just STUPID.

the employers/businesses CHOSE to cover health insurance for their employees instead of raising their pay....they had congress write the tax code for it allowing them to use their health care coverage payments as a form of salary for their employees giving them the full write off...

I'm sure they never thought that health care coverage would rise MORE than the cost of living or pay hike's average!

Taking away what employers are funding for healthcare, WITHOUT giving the employee the hike in pay, while putting the entire burden of the health care costs of the employee on to the employee seems inherently unfair....and unfeasible?

Employees might very well end up paying less under the system I describe.

While employers are currently required by law to pay at least half the employee's premium, they don't have to pay any of their spouse or kids' premium, and that can be expensive. Under what I'm talking about, each individual would have their own plan, with premiums as little as $0. That's how Medicare Advantage plans work. The plan can't be taken away if you leave to go to another job or start your own business. They could also opt for a Medicare Supplement for complete coverage with higher premiums.

I like Bernie in general, but I have to remember that he's a politician, so I'm not surprised that he's lying about the plan to make it more palatable for the masses. I guess he figures he can get away with being dishonest because most people don't actually know how Medicare works.

His plan is NOT just "Medicare for All". Medicare has deductibles and only covers 80% of expenses. That's where dynamic free market competition comes in, to fill those gaps (and more, in many cases) to different degrees depending on the consumer's choice. His plan appears to be 100% single payer, period. "Free" health care.

How would he pay for it? An across-the-board 6.2% tax on employers at a time when global business competition is becoming more intense by the hour. A new 2.2% tax on all Americans and higher taxes on the wealthy. Then we'd see, maybe a few additions here and there.

If you're a health care provider on any level, you will have one contract, with the government. It will tell you what you will be allowed to make. And, since no tort reform is in the plan, you'll need to keep that battery of unneeded defensive medicine measures in place so that you're not sued.

Expanding the current Medicare / Medicare Supplement / Medicare Advantage system to all would be much better, but that's not where Bernie's head is. He'd rather be dishonest with the name of this thing to make it more attractive. Standard politician behavior. Oh well. Even Bernie is susceptible to it.

Maybe the plan would look more like what I want than his plan by the time it made it through the process. Here's hoping.

Oh my God.

Manufacturing has doubled over the last few decades while millions have been laid off. Manufacturers are making money hand over fist.
How have they been able to do that? Automation. The money just keeps pouring in. They can afford to help.

How to pay for universal healthcare.

Oh my God.

Manufacturing has doubled over the last few decades while millions have been laid off. Manufacturers are making money hand over fist.
How have they been able to do that? Automation. The money just keeps pouring in. They can afford to help.

Oh yeah, employers are just swimming in cash from coast to coast.

They're all rich and greedy.

Got it.

Oh my God.

And that is part of the problem, really. when most jobs were in Manufacturing, we had a high level of employment and coverage. Now we don't. Probably the best reason to transition to single payer like everyone else has done.

We need a two tier health care provider system.

Open Medicare up to everyone based on their ability to pay and set it 10% the lowest comparable plan in a state health care exchange. %The poor would pay nothing but everyone can get it if they are willing to pay for it.

Leave private health care insurance alone.

Remove state limits to health care insurance competition.

Give the state health care exchanges more time to let the competition reduce the price of the insurance by subsidizing them for a few years on a tapering loss compensation pay out.
That seems like just another option to add to a plan that isn't working.
Single payer for all, from cradle to grave. No co-pays, no premiums. The healthcare is paid for by taxes.

Oh my God.

Got it.

Of course a lot of small businesses aren't swimming in cash, but any with more a small # of full-time employees would save an enormous amount of money if they weren't having to pay for private insurance for a hundred employees, two hundred employees. Of course, some corporations employee thousands. It WOULD be a huge "tax break" for any business now required to provide medical insurance under Obamacare.

Open Medicare up to everyone based on their ability to pay and set it 10% the lowest comparable plan in a state health care exchange. %The poor would pay nothing but everyone can get it if they are willing to pay for it.

Give the state health care exchanges more time to let the competition reduce the price of the insurance by subsidizing them for a few years on a tapering loss compensation pay out.
Single payer for all, from cradle to grave. No co-pays, no premiums. The healthcare is paid for by taxes.
Keep your single payer to yourselves, leave the rest of us out of it.
Millions of people want nothing to do with single player, they will never use it, and they certainly cannot afford it.

Oh my God.

Got it.

Of course a lot of small businesses aren't swimming in cash, but any with more a small # of full-time employees would save an enormous amount of money if they weren't having to pay for private insurance for a hundred employees, two hundred employees. Of course, some corporations employee thousands. It WOULD be a huge "tax break" for any business now required to provide medical insurance under Obamacare.

Yes it would. There's no reason a business should be in the insurance business.

Expand Medicare / Medicare Supplements / Medicare Advantage to all. Individual and portable.

Agree about Bernie. His weaknesses are clear tho. And that is Math, Economics and any other hard sciences.

It's worse than the 20% deductible. Right now -- EVERY person seeking medical care is subsidizing Medicare. The reimbursements leave the docs and service providers with a paycheck less than a standard veterinarian.

So the "rack rates" are adjusted to make up the losses and the "cost shifting" is a VERY large of medical inflation.

It's not "Single Payer" until the govt actually OWNS the services. Because folks could still get around it if they are affluent enough. And the govt doesn't RUN Medicare. It contracts services for it. Single payer would put Fed workers as the DOMINANT workforce in the nation..

Keep your single payer to yourselves, leave the rest of us out of it.
Millions of people want nothing to do with single player, they will never use it, and they certainly cannot afford it.
Rustic, where do you get the idea that millions will never use medical insurance? Does that mean they will never go to the doctor? In their whole lives? I don't think in this country millions of people live like that.

Forum List

Back