Bernie Sanders: The Cable Bill Is Too Damn High

WASHINGTON -- Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) sent a letter on Friday accusing big cable companies of using monopoly powers to muscle consumers into paying higher prices.

In the letter, addressed to Federal Communications Commission Chairman Tom Wheeler, Sanders and Warren wrote that mega-mergers have left over 60 percent of Americans with no choice whatsoever when it comes to their cable and Internet providers. This state of things, they wrote, makes it possible for companies to jack up prices without losing customers to competition. Sens. Al Franken (D-Minn.) and Ed Markey (D-Mass.) also signed the letter.

"As the telecommunications industry becomes increasingly concentrated, this lack of choice has resulted in huge price increases and often poor service for consumers," the senators wrote. "There are now de facto telecommunications monopolies throughout the United States."

The letter noted that a new merger between Time Warner Cable and Charter Communications would only exacerbate the problem, saying that recent Time Warner price increases suggest the cable giant is already insulated from normal market pressures. Modem rental charges for Time Warner have jumped 203 percent since they were introduced in 2012, according to the letter. The FCC has the power to block the TWC-Charter deal.

"Given the lack of incentive for companies to provide better quality service and competitive prices, it is no surprise that individuals rank cable and Internet providers last in customer satisfaction when compared to other companies in other industries," the senators wrote.

Sanders and his colleagues asked for the FCC to publish a host of cable and broadband pricing data, so consumers could see how much they pay compared to customers in other areas. They asked the FCC to provide average prices for each state and each cable provider, and also asked the agency to publicize the average prices in urban areas compared to those in rural markets.

Read the full letter here.

More: Bernie Sanders: The Cable Bill Is Too Damn High

I totally agree with Bernie and Elizabeth. I hate cable companies. I've always hated cable companies. I always feel so unclean - and stupid - when I receive the monthly cable bill. I wouldn't feel that way if there was more competition and I had more options for cable service. I pay to watch that shit - then they bombard me with those insulting fucking commercials. They are very clever how they bundle their channels so you can't just subscribe to only the channels you want. Then, to add insult to injury, I am bombarded with endless fucking cable company commercials for TV, Internet, phone and home security bundling. They are legalized mafia. I hate cable companies.

Cancel you cable, pretty simple. There is DishTV and DirectTV or antenna. If more people exercised their options, it wouldn't be a monopoly.

You are creating the problem by paying the bill every month.
Even they must pay to broadcast a station..

WASHINGTON -- Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) sent a letter on Friday accusing big cable companies of using monopoly powers to muscle consumers into paying higher prices.

In the letter, addressed to Federal Communications Commission Chairman Tom Wheeler, Sanders and Warren wrote that mega-mergers have left over 60 percent of Americans with no choice whatsoever when it comes to their cable and Internet providers. This state of things, they wrote, makes it possible for companies to jack up prices without losing customers to competition. Sens. Al Franken (D-Minn.) and Ed Markey (D-Mass.) also signed the letter.

"As the telecommunications industry becomes increasingly concentrated, this lack of choice has resulted in huge price increases and often poor service for consumers," the senators wrote. "There are now de facto telecommunications monopolies throughout the United States."

The letter noted that a new merger between Time Warner Cable and Charter Communications would only exacerbate the problem, saying that recent Time Warner price increases suggest the cable giant is already insulated from normal market pressures. Modem rental charges for Time Warner have jumped 203 percent since they were introduced in 2012, according to the letter. The FCC has the power to block the TWC-Charter deal.

"Given the lack of incentive for companies to provide better quality service and competitive prices, it is no surprise that individuals rank cable and Internet providers last in customer satisfaction when compared to other companies in other industries," the senators wrote.

Sanders and his colleagues asked for the FCC to publish a host of cable and broadband pricing data, so consumers could see how much they pay compared to customers in other areas. They asked the FCC to provide average prices for each state and each cable provider, and also asked the agency to publicize the average prices in urban areas compared to those in rural markets.

I totally agree with Bernie and Elizabeth. I hate cable companies. I've always hated cable companies. I always feel so unclean - and stupid - when I receive the monthly cable bill. I wouldn't feel that way if there was more competition and I had more options for cable service. I pay to watch that shit - then they bombard me with those insulting fucking commercials. They are very clever how they bundle their channels so you can't just subscribe to only the channels you want. Then, to add insult to injury, I am bombarded with endless fucking cable company commercials for TV, Internet, phone and home security bundling. They are legalized mafia. I hate cable companies.

Cancel you cable, pretty simple. There is DishTV and DirectTV or antenna. If more people exercised their options, it wouldn't be a monopoly.

So? It's cheaper, more competition, and the good old antenna works fine. Why do we need 200 channels of nothing. Why not go back to the antenna and pay nothing.

So? It's cheaper, more competition, and the good old antenna works fine. Why do we need 200 channels of nothing. Why not go back to the antenna and pay nothing.
I live in da forest..

Ahhh the cafeteria option. Pay by watching time...the Madison Avenue advertising firms are going to have a cow.

Quit paying for Cable or Dish altogether.

Netflix is racing past most all subscription services as we speak ... And the Cable/Dish guys are fighting over turf and networks.
All you need is the internet in combination with the appropriate gear/television and you can watch whatever you want, whenever you want ... And pay exactly what you want to do so.

dont use cable.....gee that was tough.....

Look, this isn't rocket science. Advertising firms are getting paid for selling commercials on media people do not watch.

It is all coming to a head. Soon your Iphone will insist you watch two episodes of 'Game of Thrones' before you are permitted to dial 911...welcome to the new normal.

I live in da forest..

So go without, we have choices.

Look, this isn't rocket science. Advertising firms are getting paid for selling commercials on media people do not watch.

It is all coming to a head. Soon your Iphone will insist you watch two episodes of 'Game of Thrones' before you are permitted to dial 911...welcome to the new normal.

That's truth. Im bombarded constantly already on the dumbphone to do this, go here, watch this, download that..... It won't be long before I smash it.

I know you have thought of Satellite TV and Internet! Any reason you didn't subscribe to the cheaper "DISH" provider?

Yes, because some of my neighbors have DISH and Direct TV and they don't seem too happy with them. In the old days I had a 13 foot dish and the picture was EXCELLENT. The price was also reasonable - until they figured out how to gouge on dish. I like cable because it seems the most reliable. They are all gouging.
I like cable because it seems the most reliable
when i had cable it was down a lot,sometimes for an hour or more,and they never apologized never gave you a free movie,nothing....i went to Dish....much better....now i have U-Verse...i laugh at cable.....

Most of these channels you don't want to watch, but pay for anyway. MSN BC being a prime example. If you paid for what you want the bill would be substantially lower
This is the best comment so far.
It pisses me off to have to pay for some 50 sports channels when I dont watch sports on TV, then just to totally F with you, they screw up important shows like American Idol to broadcast some sports game that you COULD watch on one of those 50 channels that you pay for. Same with most of the channels, I dont watch them.
Then there is the BS where they preempt all shows just because the boy child from the white house is going to lie to the public again. The only time I want to see him on my screen is when he is being dragged away in handcuffs for treason while yelling "I know My Rights" Well, that and then if they televise the firing squad, that would be fun to watch too.

I know you have thought of Satellite TV and Internet! Any reason you didn't subscribe to the cheaper "DISH" provider?

Yes, because some of my neighbors have DISH and Direct TV and they don't seem too happy with them. In the old days I had a 13 foot dish and the picture was EXCELLENT. The price was also reasonable - until they figured out how to gouge on dish. I like cable because it seems the most reliable. They are all gouging.
when i had cable it was down a lot,sometimes for an hour or more,and they never apologized never gave you a free movie,nothing....i went to Dish....much better....now i have U-Verse...i laugh at cable.....
Had the same problem with cable, so I switched to Fiber about 8 years ago, I can count on one had the number of times it went down in that time.

Had the same problem with cable, so I switched to Fiber about 8 years ago, I can count on one had the number of times it went down in that time.
i have had U-Verse 3 years now,has gone down maybe 2 times for a couple of minutes each time,and so far NO increases in price....with cable it seemed like every 6 months they were raising it for some reason...

An old saying goes there is a first time for everything. Its happened here, you and I agree on something. May never happen again.

i have had U-Verse 3 years now,has gone down maybe 2 times for a couple of minutes each time,and so far NO increases in price....with cable it seemed like every 6 months they were raising it for some reason...

I rarely have two months in a row when the price hasn't risen. I then call my cable company and complain. They usually find some "miracle" to reduce it back to the previous month price. It's a scam of attrition for those who just get tired of fighting them. I'm 68 and still have a pretty good mind - but I really feel sorry for older people whose minds are failing them and they no longer have the energy or brainpower to fight back. They just pay the bill.

I live in da forest..

The best place to live!

I rarely have two months in a row when the price hasn't risen. I then call my cable company and complain. They usually find some "miracle" to reduce it back to the previous month price. It's a scam of attrition for those who just get tired of fighting them. I'm 68 and still have a pretty good mind - but I really feel sorry for older people whose minds are failing them and they no longer have the energy or brainpower to fight back. They just pay the bill.

And you voted for Obama...twice...

I live in da forest..

The best place to live!
If you don't mind bug bites.

I live in da forest..

The best place to live!
If you don't mind bug bites.

The bugs, ticks, snakes and rabid animals are well worth it. Oh, and those wonderful night sounds.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back