Pope Benedict XVI begins US visit

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ScreamingEagle, Apr 15, 2008.

1. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    Throngs of people cheered as the plane bearing Pope Benedict XVI touched down at Andrews Air Force Base outside Washington on Tuesday, for the pontiff's first visit to the United States since he was elected head of the Roman Catholic Church.

President George Bush, First Lady Laura Bush and their daughter, Jenna, greeted Pope Benedict with handshakes as he stepped off the plane and onto a red carpet flanked by U.S. military personnel in dress uniform. The pope waved and extended his hand to waiting cardinals and other clergy members.

During the pontiff's six-day visit, he is scheduled to celebrate open-air masses in Washington and New York. He will also address leaders of Catholic colleges, meet representatives from other religions, and pray at the site where the World Trade Centers stood before September 11, 2001.

Some experts believe the highlight of Pope Benedict's visit will be his speech to the United Nations on Friday.

While in the U.S., the pope will mark two personal milestones. His 81st birthday is Wednesday. This Saturday will mark the third anniversary of his election as pontiff.

http://voanews.com/english/2008-04-15-voa53.cfm

2. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,784
    It'd be kind of cool to go see him even though I probably disagree with 99.9% of his views.

3. rayboyusmc

rayboyusmc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338
    As a disenfranchised catholic, I don't trust him. I used to really believe that crap about the cardinals all praying for guidance and then sending up the white smoke.

It's all about political power in the church, or so it seems to me. When one of their big guys said that they couldn't just admit to the sexual abuse because it would financially bankrupt the church, I wanted to ask him if that was worse than morraly bankrupt.

Hell, it's probably the maryjuana they are smoking. That gives white smoke, right?:eusa_think:

Never got to try it in the Marine Corp, only confiscate in on Barracks Inspections.
    :rofl:

4. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Every since the Catholic Church made pollution and pedophilia on the same level of sin, I've had a hard time giving a rat's ass about anything they do.

5. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    I always did think that dogmas that claimed a single leader is the spokeman of god were a bit loony.

6. rayboyusmc

rayboyusmc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338
    But the movie "Dogma" was excellent.

7. KungFusion

KungFusion Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm partial to Dogmeat myself.

8. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    I'll bet it just fries the sorry asses of all those secular, anti-religion, anti-Christian, anti-Catholic hate-mongers that the Pope is having such a successful visit....it indicates that the U.S. population is still quite religious and...dare I say....GOD is still alive and well.....:rofl:

Pope treated like rock star at New York youth rally
    http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...419/pope_mass_080419/20080419?hub=CTVNewsAt11

9. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,784
    Yes, we are all getting drunk to overcome the horror.

10. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,428

are you still making stuff up, deciding the "left" believes it and then congratulating yourself for your "insight"?

Why don't you try asking, psycho boy... actually... whty don't you actually try reading? Not a single person had an objection to the pope's visit. I don't quite understand it, myself, but who cares? He doesn't hurt anyone and people felt good.

But keep trying to pretend you know anything at all. it's kind of embarrassing for you.