Behold the $15 LED light bulb

Where's the government's right to take it my warm live fingers? Hmmm? Point that bad boy out mein herr.

Good tech never needs to be forced.

Obama and his mindless minions won't need to force the use of LED, because in the next few years, the creative use of them will make consumers crave them.

That's the way of good technology.

Till then "BEHOLD! My 15 CENT banned 60 watt incandescent bulb!" It works in the cold! It lasts just about as long! It's not an environmental hazard to clean up if it breaks!

Using rubber gloves and opening the windows to air out the room is too tough on you? :eek:
at least it's better than CFLs which are a fucking joke. I don't even have to wear rubber gloves or open a window if an incandescent breaks. But why break a 15 buck bulb when a 15 cent is available? well at least till the law banned it so the lightbulb companies can make more money by fixing the market against the consumer.

Where's the government's right to take it my warm live fingers? Hmmm? Point that bad boy out mein herr.

Good tech never needs to be forced.

Obama and his mindless minions won't need to force the use of LED, because in the next few years, the creative use of them will make consumers crave them.

That's the way of good technology.
Exactly. Good tech never is forced, it takes over.

So, put the LEDs and CFLs on the market with the incandescents. No subsidies, no tax breaks, no bans.

Let the best light win.

Poor Fritz. If grandaddy didn't use it, it ain't any good, don't care what them thar pointy headed Lubruls say.

He should be using a coal oil lamp then?
now now now... fuck you fuckball. Mah Granddaddy didn't have the law come in and say he couldn't BUY a coal oil lamp either.

So once again, Ole Crocks foists a false choice and US parrots it with unaware glee because it meets his presupposition.

If the technology is... ahem... (once again for the cheap seats) Bigger, better, faster, stronger, cheaper.... I am for it... when not coerced by law.

Darn, I couldn't find the scene from "Get Shorty" with that line.

Till then "BEHOLD! My 15 CENT banned 60 watt incandescent bulb!" It works in the cold! It lasts just about as long! It's not an environmental hazard to clean up if it breaks!

Using rubber gloves and opening the windows to air out the room is too tough on you? :eek:
at least it's better than CFLs which are a fucking joke. I don't even have to wear rubber gloves or open a window if an incandescent breaks. But why break a 15 buck bulb when a 15 cent is available? well at least till the law banned it so the lightbulb companies can make more money by fixing the market against the consumer.

CFLs aren't $15 bucks. At least get your arguments straight before you post. How can you keep embarrassing yourself like that? It just shows how shallow this whole "libertarian" philosophy is that they'd make such a stink over a bulb that saves 75% on energy, but will "drill, baby, drill" until every bit of pristine landscape is covered in oil!!!

LED changes the nature of lighting, this isn't just changing the bulb.

CFL is florescent. No matter how it is disguised, it still is a florescent light. That means that is is going to flicker and trigger headaches and epileptic seizures - it's simply the nature of the lights.

LED is a far different proposition, though, There is no flicker from LED, non at all. The biggest issue with "white" LED is that it is blue. The bullshit about low quality and high quality is utterly false. LED casts a blue tinge. However this really isn't a big deal. Light is just part of the spectrum. To get a true white light from a 15 LED array, simply place one red and one yellow LED in the center of the 13 surrounding "white" LED's and the result is true white light.

Where LED REALLY shines is in shifting the paradigm. Too many people think in terms of lamps and bulbs, but LED makes those irrelevant. Imagine your ceiling tiles infused with LED's, when you turn the light on, the entire ceiling IS the light. LED's draw so little power and run so cool that they can be embedded in walls, floors, counters, you name it. Illumination from all angles.

LED lighting changes everything - for the better.

I agree with 90% of what you said.. Only problem I have is that there ARE single device LEDs with a "warm" color spectrum.. In fact, you can buy from part number bins that give you anywhere from 3000K to 6000K color temperature.. They do this with secondary phosphors within the device that reradiate at the required frequencies. More convienient than adding a red led to the array-- because with that approach -- you have to worry about color drift over lifetime, temperature and DIMMING (if the design allows dimming).

Trust me -- I've been offered $0.40 120Lumen LEDs.. Wouldn't design them in because of CRI and poor thermal handling affecting their lifetime.. There ARE low/high quality choices that will affect market acceptance..

Here's one series of lighting class white LED with a choice of colors..

http://www.philipslumileds.com/products/luxeon-rebel/luxeon-rebel-white
My issue is two fold. Economic and individual freedom. If I want to buy a 15 cent incandescent, there is no goddamn reason why I shouldn't be allowed to.

Once the price of an LED drops low enough and is PROVEN by years of use in the free market by those who wish to pay the exorbitant price for one show it's better, I will buy it in droves.

Till then, you've no right to say no to my Incandescent bulb. One of the worst laws signed by W save for TARP, Medicare part D, No Child Left Behind and creating the Dept. of Homeland Security.

Oh I agree with you BigFitz.. All I'm doing is the free market risky development of a new technology at my clients' nickel.. Not a penny of Fed money.. In fact, everytime I work on this client's project -- I chuckle about the fact that there's no way in hell for the DOEnergy or Congress to keep up with technology. They are ALWAYS a day late and dollar short.

Guaranteed that when govt tries to pick winners/losers in a high tech area -- they end up looking like pompous morons..

Wish I could ignore the political ramifications of a light bulb -- but it's not possible in this day and age..

And the eco-left pinheads who want to make energy "rare and expensive" instead of "plentiful and cheap" are gonna be running for shelter when the brown-outs start. Pull my phone charger out of the wall -- AND PLUG IN MY CAR INSTEAD???? Yeah -- that's the "conservation" plan..

Last edited:
I tried those two-for-a-dollar, made in Mexico bulbs from the dollar store. The 60w was about half as bright as a regular 60w and they didn't last nearly as long.

MY main complaint about the new LED bulbs is the light is harsh, like fluorescent. Not at all as soft as an incandescent. So I am stocking up on incandescents before they are taken off the market in January. Hopefully by the time my stockpile of incandescents is used up there will be advances in the quality of LED light and the prices will come down.

CFL is florescent. No matter how it is disguised, it still is a florescent light. That means that is is going to flicker and trigger headaches and epileptic seizures - it's simply the nature of the lights.

LED is a far different proposition, though, There is no flicker from LED, non at all. The biggest issue with "white" LED is that it is blue. The bullshit about low quality and high quality is utterly false. LED casts a blue tinge. However this really isn't a big deal. Light is just part of the spectrum. To get a true white light from a 15 LED array, simply place one red and one yellow LED in the center of the 13 surrounding "white" LED's and the result is true white light.

Where LED REALLY shines is in shifting the paradigm. Too many people think in terms of lamps and bulbs, but LED makes those irrelevant. Imagine your ceiling tiles infused with LED's, when you turn the light on, the entire ceiling IS the light. LED's draw so little power and run so cool that they can be embedded in walls, floors, counters, you name it. Illumination from all angles.

It's possible to have a true white from LED lighting. You do it by using multiple bulbs to create the proper spectrum for 'white' light.
Light-emitting diode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Funny, you people were singing a different tune when you wanted to can gramma's thermometer

I tried those two-for-a-dollar, made in Mexico bulbs from the dollar store. The 60w was about half as bright as a regular 60w and they didn't last nearly as long.

MY main complaint about the new LED bulbs is the light is harsh, like fluorescent. Not at all as soft as an incandescent. So I am stocking up on incandescents before they are taken off the market in January. Hopefully by the time my stockpile of incandescents is used up there will be advances in the quality of LED light and the prices will come down.

Embedding them works if you can afford the extra expense for the wiring. The design possibilities are enormous, but most people won't be able to take advantage of it.

What if your kid breaks it while you are in the other room? Or your pet while you are not at home?

What if your kid breaks it while you are in the other room? Or your pet while you are not at home?

Actually - read somewhere that a single CFL mercury content is enough to exceed water standards in an Olympic size pool. Pretty sure that's correct. In which case, it's a MONSTER of a disposal problem... (landfills, water table, 2 headed trout)

But hey -- it's green -- it's blessed by the eco-gods -- so just STFU.. Never before in my life have I seen bigger hypocrites than the mighty eco-nauts..

Edited to add::: The claim is that according to EPA regs -- 5mg of Mercury (1 CFL) can contaminate 6000 gallons of water. And can cause
Low level mercury exposure (under 5 milligrams) can cause tremors, mood shifts, sleeplessness, muscle fatigue, and headaches. High level or extended length exposure can lead to learning disabilities, altered personality, deafness, loss of memory, chromosomal damage, and nerve, brain, and kidney damage, as stated by the EPA. There is a particular risk to the nervous systems of unborn babies and young children.

Read more: Dangers of Curly Fluorescent Light Bulbs | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6525988_dangers-curly-fluorescent-light-bulbs.

Last edited:
If I go into a store and smash a display of these things, is that considered terrorist attack, given the release of dangerous quantities of a deadly substance? Would itb e eco-terrorism? Could I blame it on greenpeace to save the incandescent and save the planet from heavy metal poisoning?

Then came CFL industry and all of their efforts and toolings that NEVER would have needed to be created with the BETTER option of LED lighting waiting in the wings. Except that because of an ARBITRARY deadline set by Congress, we couldn't wait for the BETTER approach just a few years off. That's like junking 2 entire industries to get one.
CFLs were not mandated, high efficiency bulbs were. The result is completion to produce better products which is occurring in both CFLs, LED, and incandescents. These are different technologies, each with it's own advantages. The bottom line will be customers will have more choice and better products to chose from due to the legislation.

The Energy Independence Bill of 2007 is far from being arbitrary. California has mandated the elimination of incandescent bulbs. New Jersey and Connecticut had pending legislation. In addition the EU, and 15 countries have banned low efficiency bulbs. Reducing air pollution and our energy needs are certainly in best interest of the nation and are not arbitrary decisions.

Virtually all-common household incandescent bulbs are manufactured overseas in highly automated factories thus there is very little US job lost.

Your inference that market decisions are always the right decision for the nation is ridiculous. We drive safer, less polluting, more efficient automobiles because years ago the government pushed automakers to build such cars. Sleeping pills for children, high sugar cereals, asbestos, and lead paints are just a few examples of where the market got it all wrong.

BTW, this morning at Home Depot, I saw 4 packs of 60 watt equivalent CFLs for $3.56 a package. That’s 89 cents each for a bulb that draws 13 watts of power, with a 10,000-hour normal life and a 9-year warranty. On the same shelf there were 4 packs of 60 watt incandescent for $1.99. That’s 49 cents a bulb; draw a full 60 watts of power, with a 1500-hour normal life, and a 1-year warranty. Looking at the math, there is a huge cost advantage to CFLs.

The government got it right this time.

Actually - read somewhere that a single CFL mercury content is enough to exceed water standards in an Olympic size pool. Pretty sure that's correct. In which case, it's a MONSTER of a disposal problem... (landfills, water table, 2 headed trout)

But hey -- it's green -- it's blessed by the eco-gods -- so just STFU.. Never before in my life have I seen bigger hypocrites than the mighty eco-nauts..

Edited to add::: The claim is that according to EPA regs -- 5mg of Mercury (1 CFL) can contaminate 6000 gallons of water. And can cause
Low level mercury exposure (under 5 milligrams) can cause tremors, mood shifts, sleeplessness, muscle fatigue, and headaches. High level or extended length exposure can lead to learning disabilities, altered personality, deafness, loss of memory, chromosomal damage, and nerve, brain, and kidney damage, as stated by the EPA. There is a particular risk to the nervous systems of unborn babies and young children.

Read more: Dangers of Curly Fluorescent Light Bulbs | eHow.com Dangers of Curly Fluorescent Light Bulbs | eHow.com.
Mercury content is 4mg and in some of the newer bulbs as low as 1 mg. The risks are minimal unless you eat the bulbs.

CFLs contain a very small amount of mercury sealed within the glass tubing – an average of 4 milligrams (mg). By comparison, older thermometers contain about 500 milligrams of mercury – an amount equal to the mercury in
125 CFLs. Mercury is an essential part of CFLs; it allows the bulb to be an efficient light source. No mercury is
released when the bulbs are intact (not broken) or in use.
Most makers of light bulbs have reduced mercury in their fluorescent lighting products. Thanks to technology
advances and a commitment from members of the National Electrical Manufacturers Association, the average
mercury content in CFLs has dropped at least 20 percent or more in the past several years. Some manufacturers
have even made further reductions, dropping mercury content to 1 mg per light bulb.

A little off the subject, but when I was a kid, the convenience store across from my elementary school sold little capsules of mercury, label quicksilver. They had to contain at least a 1000 mg of mercury. We would rub it on dimes to make them shine. Take it to school and throw it to see it break into a million tiny balls. Today the store owner would be under arrest, the school would be a hazardous waste site and I would be in the hospital for observation. And they say things really never change...

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/promotions/change_light/downloads/Fact_Sheet_Mercury.pdf

Last edited:

Read more: Dangers of Curly Fluorescent Light Bulbs | eHow.com Dangers of Curly Fluorescent Light Bulbs | eHow.com.

According to the EPA I should be dead. We used to play with mercury with our bare hands when we were kids.

A lot less mercury in a CFL bulb than in the regular flourescent tubes we have been using for 50 years or so.

We don't have time for this government mandatory nonsense. Let China worry about global warming while the US gets back on it's economic feet.

Forum List

Back